Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Grand Infrastructure Projects the UK Needs Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    and the hydrogen comes from where...?
    There managing to find it in California.

And yes it uses lots of electricity to get the Hydrogen off stuff, but the plugs that are used to charge cars up also use electricity, which is probably from a coal burning power stations. Oil won't last for ever, and forcing everyone back onto bicycles won't happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeff Hunter)
    The government in Westminster seems to waste an awful amount of money on absolutely useless social projects or on layers of bureaucracy which benefit nobody. Westminster shouldn't be responsible for dabbling in the affairs of local areas, but for organising large scale projects which benefit the entire nation!

Here's a few things which I reckon they should concern themselves with, right away:

Severn Barrage
    A tidal barrage over the Severn Estuary which could produce from 1-5% of the UK's total energy requirements and could include plans to provide a rail or train link across the River Severn, easing congestion on other crossings.

The project would be a great source of renewable energy; allowing us to help reduce our dependency on other nations for energy, giving us a greater degree of political and economic stability.

Cost: £2-24 billion, depending on the scheme used. Different projects available

Irish Sea Tunnel
    A tunnel under the Irish sea which will link Britain to Ireland. There are 2 main possible routes:

The Holyhead - Dublin route will connect Dublin to London in 2.5 hours if combined with high speed rail projects and will also allow Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool to be connected. The project will be a great cultural and economic link for the 2 islands and will reduce our usage of airlines, which are huge pollutants and aren't going to get any cheaper.

The Fishbourne - Rosslare route contains plans for a new container port in Shannon, Ireland, which will be able to compete with Rotterdam when linked to mainland Europe via freight rail. The plans also allow London to reach Dublin in 3.5 hours if combined with a new Severn crossing project. BBC News, Irish News

Cost: £8-17billion depending on location

Before anyone whinges about the costs, we are currently spending £4billion a year on conflicts abroad and £4billion a year on keeping drugs illegal at home. Tell me, what is a better use of money, conflict or construction? And then there's the £170billion a year which is poured into QUANGOs...

Can anybody think of any other projects we should be undertaking to improve the infrastructure of the nation to help build for the future?
    Sorry, but I really don't see how spending 17 billion on a tunnel between Ireland and Britain is going to benefit the whole nation at all. Sounds like a complete waste of money to me.

Rather than huge white elephants like this how about spending 17 billion on social housing, schools, hospitals, leisure facilities etc? Wouldn't that be a better way of spending it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Untitled258)

And yes it uses lots of electricity to get the Hydrogen off stuff, but the plugs that are used to charge cars up also use electricity, which is probably from a coal burning power stations. Oil won't last for ever, and forcing everyone back onto bicycles won't happen.
    Yes the plugs use elecy but then you have the power, you use the same elecy to make hydrogen then have the power. Its less efficient.

Forcing people onto expensive cars with a 200 mile range wont work either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Sorry, but I really don't see how spending 17 billion on a tunnel between Ireland and Britain is going to benefit the whole nation at all. Sounds like a complete waste of money to me.

Rather than huge white elephants like this how about spending 17 billion on social housing, schools, hospitals, leisure facilities etc? Wouldn't that be a better way of spending it?
    You're still assuming we have 17bn floating around to spend.

ReputationRep:
    High speed, electrified railways. Ours are an embarassment...

ReputationRep:
    Anti aircraft guns and a big fence around England to stop immigrants coming and stealing our jobs.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to see some sort of reform/complete reworking of the transportation system as a whole (not as separate road/rail entities).

A phone/internet system that doesn't rely on a, relatively speaking, ancient infrastructure.

ReputationRep:

Well, the £17billion means very little because our currency is based upon absolute air. You have to look at it in terms of human resources, natural resources and future development.

If British workers are employed to undertake the project, then the money which they are going to be paid is irrelevant, it'll just get injected back into the British economy and will keep people employed. The real question you have to ask is: could these engineers be put to better use elsewhere? Do we want our engineers to: teach future engineers, build football stadiums, build power plants ,etc ,etc.

Then you have the cost of the natural resources. You have to weigh up how much oil and steel would be required to build the tunnel then compare it to how much oil and steel is needed to keep the planes and ferries running. Natural resources are getting rarer and more difficult to obtain, so as long as the gap isn't too vast, then we should invest in our future to keep our nation sustainable.

As for future development, surely high speed rail links from Paris - London - Birmingham - Dublin, and Leeds - Manchester - Liverpool - Dublin are going to generate a tonne of economic oppurtunities for the whole of the country. We need to invest in infrastructure like this to help keep the UK at the very top, if we sit back and fanny around with social housing, we're just going to fall into a downward spiral.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    You're still assuming we have 17bn floating around to spend.
    What is £17billion?

ReputationRep:
    A national high speed rail network. Badly needed.
    And not just on the "main" routes too. The Welsh part of the GWML is pathetic. The speed decrease when you pass the tunnel is just ridiculous.
    And FTTH (fibre to the home) broadband for the whole country.

ReputationRep:
    What is £17billion?
    After reading your post before this I see what you're saying.

You want to debase the pound right?

ReputationRep:
    I really don't see the need for an Irish Sea tunnel. Maybe they should sort out the roads we have now before building another tunnel to another country.
    A most important priority for me is the A1 between Newcastle and Edinburgh - the fact that it's still single carriageway is scandalous as far as I'm concerned.

ReputationRep:
    Increased capacity on the East/West Coast Mainline. In fact, increased public transport spend away from the mainline. Why does the local train to Newcastle take 1h20mins? It's just down the fricking A19.

And another bridge across the Humber right next to the current one why not

ReputationRep:
    I'd relook at the old branch lines cut by Beeching and re-open/redevelop those ones that could have a significant impact on congestion.

I'd get http://www.eastwestrail.org.uk/route/ up and running and pronto - linking Oxford and Cambridge, while dealing with the traffic congestion between Cambridge and Bedford.

I'd whack a tax on domestic flights on certain routes to pay for the SUNK costs for high speed rail links - London - Manchester - Glasgow - Edinburgh etc.

I'd put a duty on high-electrical-energy users within industry to source electrical supplies from renewable sources.

I'd phase in raised minimum requirements for energy efficiency levels for domestic rented accommodation to force landlords to make improvements to homes that students and those on low incomes live in - and bankroll the enforcement officers who enforce it to do so.

I'd allow local authorities to charge any institution issuing council tax exemption certificates for a % of council taxes.

I'd have "smartcards" issued for all lorries and HGVs that enter the country, ensuring that those who use/drive lorries pay their share for the roads upkeep base on miles driven rather than on the nationality of the driver or company that owns them.

Leeds would have a metro system

I'd instigate a scheme that would allow community groups to raise money to pay for capital infrastructure that can be leased to the state in the same way that private companies can do - eg with rail carriages, like they did raising money for Spitfires and Hurricanes during the war. Revenue would then go to community projects with communities deciding who gets what.

ReputationRep:
    Well, the £17billion means very little because our currency is based upon absolute air. You have to look at it in terms of human resources, natural resources and future development.

If British workers are employed to undertake the project, then the money which they are going to be paid is irrelevant, it'll just get injected back into the British economy and will keep people employed. The real question you have to ask is: could these engineers be put to better use elsewhere? Do we want our engineers to: teach future engineers, build football stadiums, build power plants ,etc ,etc.

Then you have the cost of the natural resources. You have to weigh up how much oil and steel would be required to build the tunnel then compare it to how much oil and steel is needed to keep the planes and ferries running. Natural resources are getting rarer and more difficult to obtain, so as long as the gap isn't too vast, then we should invest in our future to keep our nation sustainable.

As for future development, surely high speed rail links from Paris - London - Birmingham - Dublin, and Leeds - Manchester - Liverpool - Dublin are going to generate a tonne of economic oppurtunities for the whole of the country. We need to invest in infrastructure like this to help keep the UK at the very top, if we sit back and fanny around with social housing, we're just going to fall into a downward spiral.
    Sounds like a highly inflationary strategy to me. Print 17 billion pounds and pay it to workers to build something that frankly is of dubious value to the country.

ReputationRep:
    What is £17billion?
    About enough to build 70 state-of-the-art hospitals I would think.

ReputationRep:
    The Irish bridge would not be economically sensible. The Irish economy isn't that big. It made sense for the UK and mainland Europe to have one, but not for Ireland. Even Eurotunnel has it's own issues.

I'd like to see high speed rail as a priority.

ReputationRep:
    About enough to build 70 state-of-the-art hospitals I would think.
    Oh snap.:woo:

ReputationRep:
    high speed rail obviously.

I also think an airport other than Heathrow should be expanded, outside London, maybe Leeds Bradford, Manchester or Edinburgh.

A1 should be widened. Especially the parts that are still only single carriageway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Untitled258)
    In California the hydrogen is "found" through steam reforming -- the most efficient way of producing hydrogen in large quantities, but still not as cheap as producing petrol.

As to the original question, I'd debate the idea of "need". Most of the criticisms and support in this thread have been about whether or not the proposals are "worth it" -- that can only be found by allowing free market investment and attempting to reduce market distortion.

If the free market isn't providing it; either it's not needed, or there's some kind of a market distortion -- weighty planning permission regulations in the case of the irish tunnel, or a strong conservation lobby which stands in the way of the severn barrage.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.