Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How often do you find that strangers ask you for money?

It's happened to be quite a few times. Recently, someone asked me saying he needed some money for a bus fare.

I'm angry at myself that I did give him some money. I don't like confrontation though.

In the past I had someone ask me for money (again for a bus fare), but his reason was that he had been drinking and had spent his bus fare. I can't remember exactly, but I think he wasn't going that far so I thought well why don't you walk, that will teach you not to spend your bus fare again. I'm proud that I managed to refuse to give him any money.

Maybe I've been conned on all occasions I don't know. Either that or people leave no money in their current account? It makes no sense to me, because even with people who have little savings, they must have a means to get money if neccessary from their current account etc.

The problem for me is people have the audacity to ask me (a stranger) for money they've already put me in a difficult, uncomfortable conversation, where I either surrender and give them the money or argue for what could be half a minute or more. It's difficult.

Anyway, I just wanted to let off some steam about it. I'm going to make damn sure it doesn't happen again.

/Rant.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone who asks me for money are tramps/crack heads. Which is why they have no money, or current accounts lol.
    I once gave a quid to a sorry looking fellow at the train station, convinced me he needed it for a train, but walked off with it - clearly going towards some sort of drug.

ReputationRep:
    I get asked all the time. It's to be expected in a city like Nottingham though. And for some reason, I've been asked everytime I've walked past the Arboretum lately.

I've never given them any money. There was one guy, however, that asked me for any spare change so he could get a coffee, so I gave him one of those McDonalds vouchers that I got from the side of a cup, and he graciously accepted it.

ReputationRep:
    I avoid that situation if I can its happened before to me before were a guy asked for a quid because his car had broken down and he needed the bus. I foolishly gave him a quid, he then preceeded to flip the coin away and produce a 50p and said i hadnt given him enough. I just ignore them becuase they dont have any morals or will most likely go spend it on ****, drugs, or booze.
    Thoough I do try and give some to homeless people, when i have little money which isnt very often.

ReputationRep:
    ergh anyone who asks me for money are usually drunk/weirdo's that i ignore...i only gave money once to a little girl who had no money to buy sweets :p:

ReputationRep:
    Not too often, except for Big Issue sellers who I usually give some of my change. But one time a woman who seemed sincere and genuine asked me for £1.60 for the bus home because she's lost her purse, so I said ''sure'' and gave her the cash.
    As I walked away I looked back and heard her ask the exact same question with the same sob story to another person who also gave her £1.60, when they walked away she stayed there, waiting for more people to walk past.

Stuff like that does put me off helping people out but you never know who is genuine so I always help out regardless. Maybe I'm too naive or caring for my own good.

ReputationRep:
    I am left alone at work quite a lot and get ... vagrant types coming in who think you can give them money out of the till/free produce out of the kindness of your heart.

ReputationRep:
    Deserving and undeserving paupers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Not too often, except for Big Issue sellers who I usually give some of my change. But one time a woman who seemed sincere and genuine asked me for £1.60 for the bus home because she's lost her purse, so I said ''sure'' and gave her the cash.
    As I walked away I looked back and heard her ask the exact same question with the same sob story to another person who also gave her £1.60, when they walked away she stayed there, waiting for more people to walk past.

Stuff like that does put me off helping people out but you never know who is genuine so I always help out regardless. Maybe I'm too naive or caring for my own good.
    I just got e-mugged and I need £1.20 to get back to my homepage. I'm going to spend it on the information highway for sure, can you help me out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    I am left alone at work quite a lot and get ... vagrant types coming in who think you can give them money out of the till/free produce out of the kindness of your heart.
    Do you work in a charity shop?

I don't give them money. I prefer to give them crack and cut out the middleman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CWild)
    I just got e-mugged and I need £1.20 to get back to my homepage. I'm going to spend it on the information highway for sure, can you help me out?
    Hai! Oh noes Okies

Nope :eviltongue:

ReputationRep:
    Its very normal in city centres, particularly in big cities. Completely ignoring people and walking on is something you need to get used to.

Though you don't usually get people coming up to you and asking direct, as opposed to homeless people. I've had a similar experience - gave someone £2 for a bus fare home after he "lost" his wallet, and asked the same thing two weeks later by the same person. I'd generally help someone out if I thought they were genuine, otherwise I walk on.

ReputationRep:
    There are many such people in the states where I lived for a number of years. These poor people just like to tell some sob story to make people part with their money.
    Sometimes, they even solicit for money on the subway or in crowded places.

ReputationRep:
    I've only ever been asked once, and it was a man wanting 20p, supposedly for a phone call. Since it was only 20p, it was no big loss for me. I wouldn't give away much more, though.

ReputationRep:
    all you have to say is "sorry i dont have any change on me". problem solved

ReputationRep:
    i nearly always give money to people if they ask nicely. last i can remember is a guy about 25 just stopped me when i was about to ente rthe shopping centre and ask for £2 saying he is lost or something can't remember. anyway, i happily gave him a £2 coin. whats ironic though is that i can't imagine asking strangers for money, i get dirty looks nearly all the time just for asking directions.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone had my experience of being pressured into giving money when you don't want to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)

wow if that had of happened to me that ***** would be in A&E

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    wow if that had of happened to me that ***** would be in A&E
    LOL. It did put a downer on my day. You when you have one of those days when you question how altruistic the human race is?

ReputationRep:
    It depends, I've been asked for money plenty of times, only gave any to this girl because it was obvious that she really needed it (had come to Barcelona to spend the night partying, lost what little money she had for the train fare back to her town a good 2 hours away), otherwise I keep walking and say I don't have any on me seeing as most times someone asks for a euro they try to jump you as you're getting it out. Same situation as when people ask to borrow your mobile, you weigh up the situation and the person and decide on that. Usually I won't lend it out but coming back at 5am from a bar this guy my age asked me for it and seemed pretty desperate, I lent it to him, we got talking and it turned out he needed to call his friends because he was locked outside his apartment while he was expecting a phone call from them since they were going on a holiday that day.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.