Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Strangers who ask for money... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ive never felt pressured even when a tall chav walks up to me and asks for some money - just say you dont have much change on you. I feel awkward when people ask me if I've got a lighter and I say I dont smoke. Their facial expression looks they think that I think I'm better than them - if that made sense.

ReputationRep:
    A woman came up to me once and asked if I could give her any change for a train fare. I just said "sorry I haven't got any" even though I did.

I can't think of one good reason why I should give money to a stranger for nothing in return, especially as they could be faking it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    wow if that had of happened to me that ***** would be in A&E
    No she wouldn't. :rolleyes:

I've never been asked for money in the UK. However, on two occasions i've filled in someone's busfare who didn't have enough or the right change, and on one occasion i gave a magazine seller like a five quid tip because i felt sorry for her. That's the extent of my personal charity, i'm afraid :awesome:

In India you get used to ignoring beggars. As soon as they get the money, an old woman or man beats it out of them and adds it to their pot. They're like slaves really. Sometimes they even give them wounds on purpose (like rip out their eye, chop off an arm or leg, give em crutches) to make em more pitiable. Humanity :top:

ReputationRep:
    Lol i was actually forced into this situation today. I took 10 pounds out to go to the gym, and paid 1 pound to get to it by bus. At about 3, i was walking out when i went into a mcdonalds and found i had lost my money, i think it was pickpocketed to be honest. I honestly didnt know what to do, i didnt have any credit so i felt i was trapped. Luckily, i got brave enough to ask someone and convinced her i was genuine, which i was. But yeah, i get annoyed when someone asks for money who obviously only needs it for unneccesary purposes. The moral of this post, some people actually do need the money and are very grateful.

ReputationRep:
    I was in Central London the other night, some crack head come to us asking for a pound and offering us a line of his cocaine. He had it all ready to snort, didn't even try to hide it or anything lol.

ReputationRep:
    I had to ask for money once because the stupid bus driver wouldn't let me have a child fare even though I was in my school uniform...****.
    Anyway paid the guy back next day so no biggie.
    But the other day in Oxford this women just came up to me and was pleading with me to give her some money and I felt so bad and literally all I had was 22p so I gave her that.
    Then she didn't even say thank you! Just looked at me like I was scum.
    ...I feel so bad when people actually come up to me and ask for money...makes me feel heartless

ReputationRep:
    When I go from metro to institute there may occur anything.One beutifull red girl asked me:"Couldn't you help me?"I answered:"It depends what are you asking for?"She said:"Oh I need some money for metro to go home."
    So now it occurs several times per year,the same girl.And other guys say that she used them such a way several times.
    I think she studies for an actress and that is her usual part-time work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaishan)
    Has anyone had my experience of being pressured into giving money when you don't want to?
    Yes, when I was sitting at a bench in Cardiff a homeless guy came up to me and asked me for a couple of pounds to get the bus home, I politely refused as I genuinely had no change... he walked away, then came back and asked again when my friend was calling me... so I told him what I said before "I'm sorry sir, I simply have no change."

He then told me "Come on, I could easily steal your phone right now, just give me some money."

It was slightly amusing, but a little bit scary at the time. There were quite a lot of people around me though... I knew he wasn't going to do anything.

ReputationRep:
    I always think you should give money to those who ask for it (within reason). If I had lost my train fare for example, I would only hope that a stranger would give me the money. Society functions on little gestures of good will ...

ReputationRep:
    I've been asked for a 'raise' by chavs :awesome:

I just shake my pocket to let them know that I have money but then reply sarcasticly "Sorry, dont have any money..."

They usually walk away crying, so satisfying .

ReputationRep:
    Loads of times, most often tramps on the floor but people have approached me sometimes, I've given to the sitting down tramps before but never the ones who suddenly approach me, I don't know why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    Yes, when I was sitting at a bench in Cardiff a homeless guy came up to me and asked me for a couple of pounds to get the bus home, I politely refused as I genuinely had no change... he walked away, then came back and asked again when my friend was calling me... so I told him what I said before "I'm sorry sir, I simply have no change."

He then told me "Come on, I could easily steal your phone right now, just give me some money."

It was slightly amusing, but a little bit scary at the time. There were quite a lot of people around me though... I knew he wasn't going to do anything.
    Thanks for that. I made the thread to let off steam and also for some reassurance, that I A. Wasn't alone in being approached in this way, and B. Wasn't alone in being pressured into giving money when I didn't want to.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post, you've helped me feel a little better. I've +repped you.

ReputationRep:
    always... just yesterday two random strangers asked me, the first one was a middle aged men, couldnt really hear him talk clearly, asked for 20p; the second one was a 30 y/o women in a red tube top, walked across the road to my side of the pavement and asked for 50p, "sorry din't mean to bovver you, but i gota make a phone call i only got a £10 note," she was indeed holding it. the other day i was at the train station a travller-looking man asked for some as well.
    i never refused to give, maybe they really were in need.

my mate on the other hand got lost on her way to one of the colleges at night for an interview, a woman asked her for some money, she asked her back the direction to the college. the woman led her there, and then my mate left the woman right after, then the woman swore at her haha

ReputationRep:
    I once got on a train with a young lass who could have only been about 17. who was to be honest looking very lost and confused, clearly not a rail regular. I was travelling in First Class and because she shared some chocolate with me on the platform and didn't really want to be on her own, I offered to pay for her First Class Upgrade which was only a fiver as it was a weekend upgrade price. So it didn't really bother me and I was grateful for the company as First Class is normally full of old people who give you the evils for not dressing smartly!

What really gets on my goat is when a homeless person comes up to you and asks for money, yet they have either a fag in their hand or a can of carlsburg... Maybe even both.

Well I'm sorry but why should I help you if you've clearly made your choice and are smoking/drinking. Springs immediately to mind!

To be honest, I find the most geniune people are the ones who don't ask in the first place.

It may sound that I am mean, but I work for charities part time so i'm not as greedy as I sound...

ReputationRep:
    Just yesterday on the way to work some bloke was walking up to everyone at the bus stop claiming he desperately needed 80p to get back home. I was glad I didn't give him any because 9 hours later as I was getting the bus home, same dude comes up to me asking for 80p. I probably would've given him the 80p that morning too but I geniunely didn't have it on me. It does happen to me a lot though, I think I have "mug" written on my face.

ReputationRep:
    At Sainsbury's at colton if you get asked to give change for a pound by a tall indian guy DONT give it to him. He swipes your credit card. Happened to a friend of mine and they had £200 taken out within 5 mintues of him taking her card, thankfully she realised and went back inside Sainsbury's and cancelled her card.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so notoriously stingy, few dare to ask me for small change.

ReputationRep:
    Fourteen years ago, I was abandoned in a foreign city with my seven month old son by my (now ex) husband. I had nothing! no cards, no passports, just some coins in my pocket. I went to a place of worship to ask for help and the minister and some congregants chased me away.

I had a few coins and went to try and buy milk for my baby. I was short of money and burst into tears at the supermarket. I walked out totally destroyed that this could happen to me. A kind man came up to me, he had bought the milk, I couldnt afford and gave it to me. He then took me home, sent his daughter to buy nappies and had his wife make me a meal, and prepare a bottle for the baby. Over the next five days this complete stranger and his family helped me get back to my family. I went back five years later and repaid them every penny.

I dont drink or smoke or take drugs. The people who I thought would stand the moral high ground and help me decided, with no evidence whatsoever that my baby did not deserve his mother being helped. A complete stranger made a split second assessment of a situation and decided to intervene. The irony was that this guys wife told me that he never ever stopped to help a stranger before.

So when you refuse someone help, think that for the ten people that use the "bus fare" for drink or drugs, one might really need it.

I always give and if they say its for food, I always buy a sandwich and a drink. I cannot morally refuse. Pay it forward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    No she wouldn't. :rolleyes:
    Says the person with a star wars quote.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.