Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been asked three times by the same guy giving me the same sob story about his abusive step father kicking him out and that he's never going back to him. He just needs money to get to Reading to stay with his mother. What made it less believing was two months before he had been banned from the town centre and this was reported on the front page of the local newspaper! Same story every single time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    I almost forgotten, there was also a guy roughly in his 60s who approached me and my friends at about 3am after a night out. He had a small kid with him (about eight), and he claimed that he was the kid's Dad, and his Mother had abandoned him, and they needed money to survive. Trust me, he was not the kid's Dad. I had happened across this guy before, and he had demanded money from me before - and he's never had a kid with him before. I'm sure that this unfortunate child had ran away from home and this guy had 'taken him under his wing', knowing that he could use him to advertise for money. Poor kid. Anyway, I said I had nothing.
    Surely though you should have called the Police there?

ReputationRep:
    The most inventive one I've heard is:

Drug addict: Hiya lads, have you got ten grand spare?
    Rest of us: ******* hell. Ten grand?! Most people just ask for 30p
    Drug addict: Well, it's worth asking for isn't it? *Really poor attempt at sympathy smile*

ReputationRep:
    Just say no and walk away.

You can usually tell who does or doesn't need money.

Even if I didn't have the money for a bus, I'd just walk, even if it was far.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any. It's true. Overdraft ahoy

ReputationRep:
    I like when tramps ask me for money. It provides a hilarious opportunity to be the big man.

I reach into my wallet and pull out the coppers, then gesture the handful towards him. Sadly for him, I then sprinkle the change all over the floor infront of him and take a step back to watch the show (him crawling on all fours to collect the jackpot).

ReputationRep:
    Some guy asked me for money on Sunday and he said he'd lost his wallet and was just trying to find a way home. He proceeded to tell me that he wasn't a 'crackhead' and he wasn't 'homeless' and he was actually dressed really nice but i still said 'no sorry'. I feel really bad about it because I think he was genuine but u can never be sure.

ReputationRep:
    I worked for my money, they can work for their's. Simples.

ReputationRep:
    While staggering home from an evening's festivities (in the course of which I'd become quite drunk), I deposited the sum of two pounds by the head of a sleeping vagrant. With hindsight, I can only hope that it wasn't intercepted by some unscrupulous fellow travelling in the opposite direction.

ReputationRep:
    I never give money to people who ask for it. Sometimes I'll give spare pound coins to homeless people as long as they don't ask me for it. I was with this guy once sat on a bench and this woman sat next to us and kept interrupting our conversation and kept really unsubtly hinting at 'Oh, I don't even have enough money to get a bag of chips. You're so lucky' 'Oh, I don't even have enough money to get the train home. I guess I'll be sleeping here tonight'. Then she said she had a ******* bus pass so I was like wtf. She was seriously asking for sympathy from the wrong person. I'm rarely sympathetic even to people i know.

ReputationRep:
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    One scam round here is to appear to have been jumped - bloodied nose and all - and ask for a pound to get the train home. Then another pound. And another pound...

"Sorry mate I'm skint - I'm a student". Though you shouldn't have to justify parting with your cash with con men really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaishan)
    Has anyone had my experience of being pressured into giving money when you don't want to?
    Someone once asked me for £2 for the 'bus' and I was like, "sorry no change" and he then said: "well I'm going to knife you then". It was quite clear that he didn't have a knife but I didn't really wanna take a risk or argue about it. Aftger giving him the money he then felt sorry for me - which was ironic - and then proceded to offer me the rest of his rolling tobacco.

Other than that I never give money to any strangers, ever. Not even big issue sellers... I have no sympathy for them... which may be harsh but to be honest... I don't really care.

ReputationRep:
    There's always a couple of mugs outside East Croydon station asking for '87p' for a train fare, most are obviously homeless beggers but a few do quite well because they look normal with clean clothes on. I've always just ignored them.

ReputationRep:
    Whenever my Dad walks past a homeless person and they ask "got any change?" he always replies "yes, plenty thank you" and keeps on walking.

ReputationRep:
    I never give money to strangers who ask for it. It's not my problem if they don't have money for the bus/ chips/ whatever-they don't NEED the chips and they can walk home! I just say 'no' and keep walking...don't even apologise.

The only times I've given money to strangers is to people who've been short in a shop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sologirl)
    Whenever my Dad walks past a homeless person and they ask "got any change?" he always replies "yes, plenty thank you" and keeps on walking.
    Does your father not realise that his coruscating, Bierce-esque wit is wasted on merely humiliating society's destitute and dissolute underclasses, or can I expect those avant-garde comic stylings to be writ large at the Edinburgh Fringe this coming August?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lell)
    I never give money to strangers who ask for it. It's not my problem if they don't have money for the bus/ chips/ whatever-they don't NEED the chips and they can walk home! I just say 'no' and keep walking...don't even apologise.

The only times I've given money to strangers is to people who've been short in a shop.
    This is a fairly blatant euphemism for 'I couldn't ****ing care less'.

ReputationRep:
    A guy asked me and my mate if we spoke English yesterday before he asked for change for a phone call.

I'm white, white as they come, and ginger, I couldn't be anything other than English.

I said no.

Being told to **** off on another occasion when I told a guy I had no change, was quite amusing

ReputationRep:

I would give money if they were particularly inventive.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.