Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I get asked by tramps and stuff all the time. The last time a normal person asked me was a girl outside a Tesco in Manchester. She had accidently spent the last of her money on coconut macaroons and needed to catch a bus. So I had a macaroon and she got 70p. Everybody was happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    This is a fairly blatant euphemism for 'I couldn't ****ing care less'.
    Well it wasn't an intentional emphemism but yes, that is another way of putting it. I honestly couldn't care less if some random needs 20p for the bus- if I were in the same situation I would walk rather than expect a complete stranger to bail me out.

ReputationRep:
    I got asked for a couple of pounds for the 'bus' at a tube station once. I gave it to him knowing full well it was going on beer just to avoid the confrontation. I don't regret it really, and at least he asked first.

ReputationRep:
    i dont give them money when they ask

i can barely afford to feed myself and i dont resort to begging

ReputationRep:
    I rarely give them money, most of the time I barely have enough anyway, although if I can I do buy the Big Issue.

ReputationRep:
    Theres a guy who walks around manchester, hopping on buses, crying blue murder that he was robbed, raped, children in prison, hospitalised etc etc. Just beware people - hes a bloody good actor!

Gave him money once and every time I see him now the bus drivers ALWAYS give him money!!!

The lengths some weirdos will go for a crafty pound!

ReputationRep:
    I shop in Oxfam a lot. That way I know my money is genuinely going to good use and not alchohol/smoking/drug abuse.

(Original post by Sologirl)
    Whenever my Dad walks past a homeless person and they ask "got any change?" he always replies "yes, plenty thank you" and keeps on walking.
    That's vile. He should be ashamed of himself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laus)
    That's vile. He should be ashamed of himself.
    how is that vile?
    you sound like a perfect goody too shoes who helps every single underprivileged person.
    think of the last time you were in town, i bet loads of people were loose of change and suffering, and just because you didnt say anything to them does not change the fact that you didnt help them :mad:

(Original post by sam789789)
    how is that vile?
    you sound like a perfect goody too shoes who helps every single underprivileged person.
    think of the last time you were in town, i bet loads of people were loose of change and suffering, and just because you didnt say anything to them does not change the fact that you didnt help them :mad:
    You got that from once sentence? Oh, dear.

He is rubbing his wealth in their faces, when there is no need. He could just say, "no, sorry", or something that is not callous and humiliating. We cannot help everyone, but we can at least be kind to those less fortunate than we are. What right does he have to look down his nose at those who perpetually struggle to get by? He has no right whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    It's just the way he is, he doesn't think anyone has the right to sit doing nothing and ask other people for the money that they had to earn - and I do agree with him in that respect.

I don't give money to homeless people either as I can never be sure if it isn't going to go towards drugs/alcohol but I just say that I have no spare change (usually true!) However I did once buy a homeless man a pizza, the poor bloke looked half-starved and I thought it might help him a bit more than a can of Tennants.

ReputationRep:
    xxx

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.