Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    So my question is, are 3 A levels enough to get into university e.g. Sunderland, Newcastle or Durham. Im fairly confident I could handle 4 but Im a pretty lazy person and if the 4th is not needed then I would rather bother doing it. The 3 I'm thinking of taking are - Maths, Chemistry and Biology. If sunderland I would probably apply for pharmacy or for newcastle/durham either computer science or software engineering maybe chemical engineering.

So should I do 4? Or is 3 fine?

Thanks.

Edit - I have been told by a A level teacher that Chemistry is the hardest A level shortly followed by Maths so maybe this would help the fact that I'm only doing 3. The fact that 2 out of the three are respected and not "easy" subjects. ??

ReputationRep:
    Pharmacy is a pretty popular course, I'm not sure but I think they would look for an additional AS level. I think you should take a fourth on at least for one year anyways.

ReputationRep:
    4 AS levels and subsequently 3 A2s are the norm. I'm at UCL with an offer of AAB.

ReputationRep:
    Three is standard. The norm is four subjects for AS and three for A2.

Four is an advantage, assuming that doing a fourth doesn't drag your grade down in the others. All you really "need" for Durham is three A grades, and perhaps a few extra-curriculars - but getting into the uni you want isn't really a tick-box process: if you just do the minimum that is necessary because of laziness, you are very much chancing it.

ReputationRep:
    im doing chem, maths & bio :awesome:
    generally, 3.5 a levels are normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sohail92)
    Hi,
    So my question is, are 3 A levels enough to get into university e.g. Sunderland, Newcastle or Durham. Im fairly confident I could handle 4 but Im a pretty lazy person and if the 4th is not needed then I would rather bother doing it. The 3 I'm thinking of taking are - Maths, Chemistry and Biology. If sunderland I would probably apply for pharmacy or for newcastle/durham either computer science or software engineering maybe chemical engineering.

Thanks.

Edit - I have been told by a A level teacher that Chemistry is the hardest A level shortly followed by Maths so maybe this would help the fact that I'm only doing 3. The fact that 2 out of the three are respected and not "easy" subjects. ??
    Do 4 ASs, drop one subject and carry on with 3. I did Maths, Chemistry and Biology and they aren't a walk in the park!

ReputationRep:
    I did Chem Maths and Bio. And I'd say Chem is the easiest tbh, you just memorise stuff. But everyone's different I guess. But yeah, most unis expect a 4th AS.

ReputationRep:
    3 A-levels is what most students have, albeit if you want to stand out from other candidates by all means go for 4, only if you can handle the work load.

ReputationRep:
    3 is perfectly fine, yup. I always think it's better to start with 4 AS levels though, in case you find you dislike one of your options and wish to drop a subject. It also keeps more options open.

ReputationRep:
    4 AS, then drop one to make 3 full A-levels. I was told universities want good grades, and some of the top universities don't really care about an extra subject. If your grades in the other subjects would suffer, don't take on an extra. Its more important to get good grades in the subjects you're already doing.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks.

Chemistry is the hardest A level....i disagree with this completely and i did it...

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's normal. Nearly everyone in my school did three AS and three A2's.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the 3.5 idea...you could always find yourself detesting a subject you thought you'd enjoy (as I did with history) and it's therefore good to have a choice of 4 to drop - some unis also ask you to have an extra AS level. Having said that, I know plenty of people who have got into uni with 3 A Levels and no extra AS subjects...it's not required, merely a bonus.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I doubt anyone would look down on you for doing 3 A levels. 4 AS are normal though; I did 4 AS, 3 A levels with an extra AS (Critical Thinking) in my last year - but none of my offers mentioned it. You might run into a few diffiuclites at Durham with 3 AS, so they might give you a harder offer at A2. There's also the problem that if you muck up one AS, then you've only got two others to balance them out - along with not being able to drop a subject that you didn't like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foundintransmission)
    I did Chem Maths and Bio. And I'd say Chem is the easiest tbh, you just memorise stuff. But everyone's different I guess. But yeah, most unis expect a 4th AS.
    did do you do nuffield chemistry? I felt like you had to really understand everything ..memorising wasnt the answer, unlike SNAB biology where you just had to remember reams of text book

ReputationRep:
    The best place to look is at the universities' websites, but 3 A levels is generally all you need to get into any uni. Though anything extra is still going to mean you have an edge on other people applying for your course (but don't worry too much, go to open days talk to people etc at the universities etc). I did 4 A levels (only time will prove if it was worth it!) and have just finished them around a month ago, I did maths, chemistry, physics and electronics. Chemistry was definately the hardest by a long shot, i was on the WJEC course, I'm not sure how other courses vary but the WJEC is solid!
    If you have a good head for logic, maths should come fairly naturally where chemistry and biology (as i am told) require a lot of recall work, where it is almost impossible to just 'work stuff out', the olny way is just to learn them.
    Something to note though, you are no worse off if you take a 4th subject and drop it after completing As, or even after the first week, because then at least then you know that work is just not for you. Also, don't rule out carring on the extra subject after As and just not concentrating as much on it. I personally did this with chemistry, I basically let my marks from As examination carry me for my second year, just doing the bare minimum to get a 'decent' grade. Any A level is better than no A level!!

Hope some of the nonsense above is of some use!

Best of luck!

Dan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan_Cymro)
    The best place to look is at the universities' websites, but 3 A levels is generally all you need to get into any uni. Though anything extra is still going to mean you have an edge on other people applying for your course (but don't worry too much, go to open days talk to people etc at the universities etc). I did 4 A levels (only time will prove if it was worth it!) and have just finished them around a month ago, I did maths, chemistry, physics and electronics. Chemistry was definitely the hardest by a long shot, i was on the WJEC course, I'm not sure how other courses vary but the WJEC is solid!
    If you have a good head for logic, maths should come fairly naturally where chemistry and biology (as i am told) require a lot of recall work, where it is almost impossible to just 'work stuff out', the olny way is just to learn them.
    Something to note though, you are no worse off if you take a 4th subject and drop it after completing As, or even after the first week, because then at least then you know that work is just not for you. Also, don't rule out carring on the extra subject after As and just not concentrating as much on it. I personally did this with chemistry, I basically let my marks from As examination carry me for my second year, just doing the bare minimum to get a 'decent' grade. Any A level is better than no A level!!

Hope some of the nonsense above is of some use!

Best of luck!

Dan
    Thanks for the information, I have decided to take 4 AS and then consider dropping one of them at A2 level - Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Computing.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thanks for the information, I have decided to take 4 AS and then consider dropping one of them at A2 level - Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Computing.
    That's a good stratergy, to be honest.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.