Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Heey peeps!

Well basically I'm going to be entering my third year of university. So far I've received a tuition fee loan and a maintenance loan...and a grant and so forth. This year I'm going to be living at home....and I've been trying to apply for ONLY A GRANT, not a tuituon fee loan or a maintainance loan OR ANY loan whatsover. I'd rather not have to pay this years money back. I'm entitled for a grant so no problem there.

HOWEVER...there seems to be no option on the online student finance form for me to do this. I don't get it. I've tried phoning in for inquiries but they are busy.

Does anyone know what I can do?

ReputationRep:
    Erm I don't think you can just get a grant. You could get everything and set the loan into a separate bank account and repay it as soon as you can, or whenever you have to as no interest will be charged, just inflation.

ReputationRep:
    Apply for the maintenance loan for living at home, put it in ISA account thingy and earn interest on it and you'll get the grant too

ReputationRep:
    you only get the grant if you get the tuition grant otherwise you cant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calikusu)
    Heey peeps!

Well basically I'm going to be entering my third year of university. So far I've received a tuition fee loan and a maintenance loan...and a grant and so forth. This year I'm going to be living at home....and I've been trying to apply for ONLY A GRANT, not a tuituon fee loan or a maintainance loan OR ANY loan whatsover. I'd rather not have to pay this years money back. I'm entitled for a grant so no problem there.

HOWEVER...there seems to be no option on the online student finance form for me to do this. I don't get it. I've tried phoning in for inquiries but they are busy.

Does anyone know what I can do?
    For those people who are saying “you need to get a tuition fee/maintenance loan in order to get the maintenance grant” I am afraid you are all wrong. I am a first year student at Kings College London (starting in a few months) and I have only applied for the maintenance grant. My application has come through and I have received the maintenance grant without getting any form of loan.

For the person who started the thread. You apply as normal. When it asks if you would like to get grant, i.e assess your parent’s income. Click yes. When it asks how much loan you want, then type in 0 for both tuition fee/maintenance loan.

Also, I had the same problem, when I rang Student Finance up. They said you DO NOT need to apply for a loan in order to get the grant.

Hope this helps.

If you are in any way offended by this post or any other posts of mine, I do apologise.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies

How about if I want a tuition fee GRANT...not a loan...so I don't have to pay it back. Would that be possible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financial Astrologer)
    For those people who are saying “you need to get a tuition fee/maintenance loan in order to get the maintenance grant” I am afraid you are all wrong. I am a first year student at Kings College London (starting in a few months) and I have only applied for the maintenance grant. My application has come through and I have received the maintenance grant without getting any form of loan.

For the person who started the thread. You apply as normal. When it asks if you would like to get grant, i.e assess your parent’s income. Click yes. When it asks how much loan you want, then type in 0 for both tuition fee/maintenance loan.

Also, I had the same problem, when I rang Student Finance up. They said you DO NOT need to apply for a loan in order to get the grant.

Hope this helps.

If you are in any way offended by this post or any other posts of mine, I do apologise.
    Thanks for the reply,

I also phoned up and they said you must apply for a loan for the grant to be accepted....eventually when the semester begins...you could reject the loan....and continue as normal. It's all so confusssssing!

I want my tuition fee to be payed for....but I don't want to have to pay it back in the future. I am entitled for the grant......they're making it so difficult :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    thank you for the help. i wanted to apply just for a grant and don't want a loan and was confused by the website. but i have sorted it now

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.