Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I bought a new car the other day. The brake pedal is really soft. Even if I put little pressure on them the car will slow down. Is there a problem here? The brake fluid is fine.

In my previous car the brakes were hard, i.e it would take slightly longer to slow the car down.

ReputationRep:
    The brakes might need changing.
    Or there could be air in the system if changing the brakes doesn't sort that out.

i dont understand what youre saying? do you mean the brakes take little pressure to engage? or do they go down to the floor?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure I understand?

Are you saying that you need to put in a lot of effort to get the car to slow. OR are you saying you hardly need to put in any effort at the pedal to get the car to slow down.

The servo fitted in car model Y is very likely to have a different ratio to cars X and Z. In real terms, this means that less or more effort may be required by your foot for the same braking effort.

In any case, as always with brakes, if in doubt, show it to someone who knows what they are doing.
    NEVER take chances with brakes and tyres.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dh00001)
    i dont understand what youre saying? do you mean the brakes take little pressure to engage? or do they go down to the floor?
    Sorry I've rephrased it now. I mean if I apply a small amount of pressure on the brake the car slows down quickly. And yes, they do go down to the floor as normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    OR are you saying you hardly need to put in any effort at the pedal to get the car to slow down. [/B]
    This

(Original post by shark67)
    Sorry I've rephrased it now. I mean if I apply a small amount of pressure on the brake the car slows down quickly. And yes, they do go down to the floor as normal.
    that sounds fine. maybe your old brakes were dodgy

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you've gone from a car with naff brakes to a car with good brakes, then.

When I changed between my MGB and my Metro, the first time I hit the brakes in the Metro I nearly went head first through the screen. MG brakes aint that good!!!

ReputationRep:
    i know what you mean, your break are fine in my opinion, i have a '97 polo and it take longer for the car to slow down. compared to my brother newer polo where i barely touched it and it broke shaply

ReputationRep:
    Is this a troll?

If I understood correctly, you want a longer stopping distance and a less responsive brake pedal?

ReputationRep:
    standard brakes fitted to modern-modern cars ive found are exceptionally good, almost as good as fast modern-old cars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara C.)
    standard brakes fitted to modern-modern cars ive found are exceptionally good, almost as good as fast modern-old cars.
    depends. not the case if you're in a chevvy matiz! :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaw)
    just put one of your feet on the front tyre then :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaw)
    I have a daewoo matiz...

Foot does go quite far down if you need to brake hard...:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furry747)
    I have a daewoo matiz...

Foot does go quite far down if you need to brake hard...:cool:
    on my ex's one, I found it more effective to carry a prayer book and an anchor :laugh:

that was with her driving though I suppose..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaw)
    on my ex's one, I found it more effective to carry a prayer book and an anchor :laugh:

that was with her driving though I suppose..
    And all I have is a seatbelt! :eek:

Better take my Bible now, just in case! :o:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.