Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tobedotty)
    who gives a ****? Cambridge is Cambridge...
    yeah. when you get to cambridge you should sit back and pat yourself on the back for getting into university. further pushing yourself? nah, **** that, i got into cambridge innit mate.

ReputationRep:
    wait a minute...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chewwy)
    yeah. when you get to cambridge you should sit back and pat yourself on the back for getting into university. further pushing yourself? nah, **** that, i got into cambridge innit mate.
    Surely his point was that college ranking is pointless in that you've got into and will graduate from Cambridge, which has enough prestige to counter-act any 'poor' college you may have attended?

ReputationRep:
    Could you not have shifted homerton up a place?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tobedotty)
    who gives a ****? Cambridge is Cambridge.
    (Original post by Leopold Bloom)
    Surely his point was that college ranking is pointless in that you've got into and will graduate from Cambridge, which has enough prestige to counter-act any 'poor' college you may have attended?
    Yes, exactly. Anyone who says, "Oh, she got a degree from Cambridge - but it was only from Lucy Cavendish. God. Thicko," is being a bit silly, which was I think the point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melz0r)
    Emma
    1. I thought you were on holiday

2. They're still a shadow of their former (1st position constantly) glory.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azhao)
    1. I thought you were on holiday

2. They're still a shadow of their former (1st position constantly) glory.
    1. I am back!

2. I don't care, 2nd is good enough for me :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Just to give a balance of opinion, I really don't care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leopold Bloom)
    prestige among who? idiots?

where i'm working now, cambridge gets me precisely nowhere. being hard working and wanting to 'be the best' probably does.

ReputationRep:
    Ooo, John's making a minor comeback. Will be interesting to see how the larger changes in the Tompkins table effect college council decision making (John's drop down gave us the wine ban in hall and academic room ballot+petrifying first speech to freshers back in Michaelmas, basically "Get a first or DEATH!")

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leala4628)
    Could you not have shifted homerton up a place?
    :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melz0r)
    I am back!
    I'm not

ReputationRep:
    can i just ask what is the purpose of the tomkins table (from a student point of view) ?

I can understand that colleges will like to compare themselves to others - but from a student perspective a degree from girton is the same as a degree from trinity. The only differences are tutorials etc and do these really differ that greatly - if you are good enough to get a first from cambridge then you will get a first in any college surely?

Please correct me if im wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eulerwaswrong)
    can i just ask what is the purpose of the tomkins table (from a student point of view) ?
    'My college is better than yours', basically. Exactly the same purpose as the Bumps table.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, Sidney fell rather far.

I thought Christs were meant to be workaholics. But what do I know, im just a lowly Oxonian.

ReputationRep:
    prestige among who? idiots?

where i'm working now, cambridge gets me precisely nowhere. being hard working and wanting to 'be the best' probably does.
    That wasn't his point at all.

And yeah, prestige among idiots. I actually agree with that.

ReputationRep:
    in case anyone actually took in what Arrogant Git said about being biased against women, it's incorrect, and is equivalent to saying the olympic sprinting is biased towards black people.
    The Tompkins table is weighted so that a first and a 2.II counts for more than two 2.Is. Given the different results profiles for men and women, that would give a random sample of men a higher tompkins score than a random sample of women.

The Tompkins table favours those colleges that have a larger standard deviation in their results; i.e. a more male results profile. Ergo, it is biased against colleges which admit a larger than average numbers of women.

Why these results profiles differ I can't begin to argue, but I don't think anyone is going to argue that women are any less intelligent than men or that they are worse at tripos (on average they do pretty much the same).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arrogant Git)
    The Tompkins table is weighted so that a first and a 2.II counts for more than two 2.Is. Given the different results profiles for men and women, that would give a random sample of men a higher tompkins score than a random sample of women.

The Tompkins table favours those colleges that have a larger standard deviation in their results; i.e. a more male results profile. Ergo, it is biased against colleges which admit a larger than average numbers of women.

Why these results profiles differ I can't begin to argue, but I don't think anyone is going to argue that women are any less intelligent than men or that they are worse at tripos (on average they do pretty much the same).
    as a woman, i find this incredibly insulting.

ReputationRep:
    as a woman, i find this incredibly insulting.
    So that's why Caius M2 went down so many places this term? And I thought it was just because they couldn't really row very well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.