Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    That's hardly the point. I'm asking why you would reject somebody purely because of which college they were at.
    At any rate, it isn't a requirement as far as I know to state on applications which college you studied at, is it? At least, I know it isn't with UoL colleges, and on a couple of CVs I've seen, Oxford has been mentioned without the college name. So in that case, you wouldn't know who to reject...

ReputationRep:
    That's hardly the point. I'm asking why you would reject somebody purely because of which college they were at.
    Sarcasm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comp_Genius)
    Sarcasm.
    :idea: *whew* Sorry - I'm crap at reading tone on the net :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0404343m)
    At any rate, it isn't a requirement as far as I know to state on applications which college you studied at, is it? At least, I know it isn't with UoL colleges, and on a couple of CVs I've seen, Oxford has been mentioned without the college name. So in that case, you wouldn't know who to reject...
    Haven't the foggiest :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    :idea: *whew* Sorry - I'm crap at reading tone on the net :rolleyes:
    No, it's just nigh-on impossible to read tone on the net without the use of smilies or such to provide further information!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mustardseed)
    No, it's just nigh-on impossible to read tone on the net without the use of smilies or such to provide further information!
    Agreed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0404343m)
    A couple of companies I applied to did (can't remember which)-- they had a box on the application form where you had to select from a drop down menu which college you went to. A lot of jobs you just submit a CV, though, and I just put 'University of Cambridge' on mine.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Arrogant Git)
    That's probably less significant there. Yes, they do have a more limited intake, but nearly every mature undergrad applicant applies to one of them. They tend to do worse partly because a lot of mature students have been out of education for some time (rather than undergrads from other colleges who've spent the last four or five years training at exam passing), partly because a lot of them have had non-traditional educations and partly because some of the colleges (ahem, Hughes Hall and Eddies) are prepared to admit to Land Economy degrees people who can't read or write but have Olympic medals in rowing.
    :P

the competition is still very high to get in though, roughly 4-7 for every place. I was up against seven other candidates on my application round.

following on from what you said, alot of mature students come with families or other commitments in towe. if you're a single parent, you have a large brood, or caring commitments for an elderly or disabled person, then your time will be more limited.

don't forget, you hit 22 and everything starts falling apart from then. we can't pull too many all-nighters to get our supervision work done.

Pixie, feeling old.

ReputationRep:
    What the hell is going on Christ's. I contributed. Where were you all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Prankster Pixie)
    don't forget, you hit 22 and everything starts falling apart from then. we can't pull too many all-nighters to get our supervision work done.
    I managed :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I managed :p:

yeah, well, you're just a super-human-mutant-ninja-freak

:p:

haha

nah, it doesn't really set in til your late 20s, so you'll be ok for a bit... watch the hangovers though... they start to get worse from now.

/jealousy.

:p:

ReputationRep:
    yeah, well, you're just a super-human-mutant-ninja-freak
    You're about to become one too :sly:
    nah, it doesn't really set in til your late 20s, so you'll be ok for a bit... watch the hangovers though... they start to get worse from now.
    Luckily I don't get drunk :closedeyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8 is enough)
    hey, I'm going to be a fresher at Johns starting this October and felt a sense of forboding reading your post

Just to ask, do people actually take that speech seriously? I mean, will there be enough people there like me who just want a good job at the end, and would rather get 2.1s and have a good time (maybe try for a 1st in the 3rd year) rather than work ridiculously hard to maybe get a 1st in every year?
    Yeah most people want to have a good time but still have to work pretty hard for your supervisions.
    And the '1st in the third year' plan is a bit tricky because everyone is kinda planning to do the same so the standard goes up in your finals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crafty bison)
    What the hell is going on Christ's. I contributed. Where were you all?
    Contributed to what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abstraction98)
    Contributed to what?
    Going down 11 in 2 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    Going down 11 in 2 years
    As long as you (we ??) aren't sinking at the bottom, I'm not all that bothered. Is a rather spectacular descent though.

ReputationRep:
    I find it frankly sickening

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crafty bison)
    I find it frankly sickening
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abstraction98)
    Why?
    He was assuredly joking.

ReputationRep:
    He was assuredly joking.
    Another sarcasm detection failure of mine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.