Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I can't speak/do presentations watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm normally pretty social, talkative and well spoken but whenever I am assigned to do a presentation or speak publicly my character turns into one of extreme anxiety, worry and depression.

I can't speak in front of an audience. I tend to hurry, which ends up with my mumbling, jumbling and stuttering through rather disastrously. I think I have some sort of social anxiety disorder which comes into play whenever I have to do things like these. I also get short of breath and I just completely become a train wreck.

I'm going into university soon and I'm going to be doing a degree that most likely would require a presentation as part of assessment in atleast one or two of the years.

How do I evade this issue? It has been happening for 3 years now and the worst was in year 11 english where I completely embarassed myself whilst reading out from a script in English.

Any tips/advice? It would be great to hear from people who have overcome it.
    I was like you when I gave my first few presentation; my voice would be funny and I would go red in the face; but having practiced many speeches and given well over 20 since then I have become more confident. It's about using your nerves to your advantage for example nerves can make the talk more passionate and exciting. When nerves come along, say 'hello old friend, thought you'd come along, this time your gonna help me make this a really passionate presentation'.
    Makre yourself the first person to speak and present first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Future African game vet)
    She was supposed to say "on entry to Virgnia" and it came out as "on entry into the vagina" :s we found it pretty funny but she was absolutely mortified.
    that's pretty funny!

ReputationRep:
    All throughout secondary school I had this problem, I love talking and reading but just can't seem to do them simultaneously! I was so bad my teachers knew not to ask me to answer questions, read out of text books or do presentations. I'm so nervous for uni. Generally OP, I just tell myself how stupid it is that I react in such a way and I find that if I breath in and use this breath to say a full sentance it helps! Goodluck (:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.