Turn on thread page Beta

1 page CV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Recently i started a course set up by the job centre, which is supposed to help people who have been out of the workforce for more than 6 months. Sadly i have been applying to loads of jobs since last novemeber and haven't had any luck, so i am getting desperate.

However, in the first week of the course this guy looked over everyones CVs and altered them to make them better, and to be fair the appearance of mine is better, BUT he has reduced my 2 page CV down to a 1 page CV by basically taking the heading of each of my skills e.g Communications skills, Team-working etc, and he was turned them all into a few words such as, I have great team-working skills etc, and placed them under the same heading, but he has removed all the meat and said that i could tell them that information in an interview or on a covering letter instead. He has also taken my references out and written references available on request at the bottom!

Now, i haven't had much luck for a while with my applications, so maybe this is just what i need to get me out of this unemployment rut, but does anyone have any feelings (negative or positive) about the 1 page CV instead of 2? Does anyone know how companies react to a 1 page CV instead of 2?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by ChucklingJawa)
    He has also taken my references out and written references available on request at the bottom!
    That would be because references do not belong on a CV. Nor does the line "references available on request" either, for that matter. References are always available on request.

It's very unlikely that you've done enough with your life to warrant a 2 page CV. Let me guess, you're probably aged between 17-21?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    That would be because references do not belong on a CV. Nor does the line "references available on request" either, for that matter. References are always available on request.

It's very unlikely that you've done enough with your life to warrant a 2 page CV. Let me guess, you're probably aged between 17-21?
    Actually i am a 23 year old graduate. There is plenty that i could put down, but he has told me to keep the information for interviews, and that when recieving applications the person reading them only spends about 15 seconds on each CV, so it's better to keep it brief.

So i should remove the statement 'References are available on request' from the bottom of the page?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, remove the "references available on request" bit.

A 1 page CV is preferred by employers as it gives an "at a glance" overview of your experience and skills. I suggest that you maybe upload your CV here for some more advice.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I will stick with the 1 page CV for now and remove the 'references available on request' bit, but talk about the points more in my covering letters.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like they had someone who knew what they were on about.

1 page CV for the win.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.