Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you won 120 million on the lottery, would it ruin your life? watch

ReputationRep:
    Let's say that one day you play the Euromillions game on the lottery. The jackpot is 120 million. You win the lot of it.

Would winning that money ruin your life? Could you lead a normal existence among your friends? Would everyone be jealous of you? Would you feel safe? What would you do with that amount of money?

ReputationRep:
    Well for starters I wouldn't tell anybody I had such money, unless it was announced. I'd still lead a normal life tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Having houses, planes, boats, holidays, no job, no worries, etc etc. Hell on earth if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    I very much doubt it would ruin lives.

ReputationRep:
    120 million?! Yeah I reckon that's too much money to win. It's like the Sims really, once you start using the cheats to give yourself unlimited money the game gets boring pretty fast.

I'd wouldn't have the first clue what to do with that much money tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I would love it, no it wouldn't ruin my life.

ReputationRep:
    It would not ruin my life.

ReputationRep:
    I would naively hope to keep it a secret... at least the exact amount among my friends. I think it would probably ruin my life, I wouldn't want that much, I'd want to work and know I 'had to'. The pressure of working would be nothing compared to the pressure of having millions and deciding what to do with it, what you 'should' do. In my opinion of course!

ReputationRep:
    There was an exact same thread about this when the big jackpot was about.

If I could keep it completely secret then no. I would stick almost all of it into an untouchable bank account and I would tell everyone i had won a much lower amount of money. e.g. tell them i'd won £200,000. Thats a low enough amount of money that people wouldn't pester you all the time but enough that they wouldn't question when you treat them all or buy nice new stuff.

If it got out and people knew my name or face. Then yes, it would probably ruin my life.

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt trust anyone, thats for sure

would i feel safe? id move to somewhere like the us and have armed guards :rofl2: ex special forces preferably :ahee:

Well i wouldn't be living in the UK for a start and of course I would be safe I would buy security. If I had 120 million the last thing I would care about is friends or been normal I would flaunt it as much and as often as possible. :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Wouldnt tell anyone that really didnt need to know.
    Defo wouldnt tell people HOW MUCH i had won.

I feel it would change my life for the better, sick of being down/worried over debts and overdraft. Id be happier.

Kids would defo be happier when they realised we were off to DisneyWorld!

ReputationRep:
    1)I wouldn't tell many people
    2)I don't see how winning lots of money is bad thing

ReputationRep:
    uve got to be joking...

ReputationRep:
    No, it wouldn't ruin my life. You can go ahead and send me my cheque now! Please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappinessHappening)
    Let's say that one day you play the Euromillions game on the lottery. The jackpot is 120 million. You win the lot of it.

Would winning that money ruin your life? Could you lead a normal existence among your friends? Would everyone be jealous of you? Would you feel safe? What would you do with that amount of money?
    £120 million? (pounds, not euros?) I could do loads with that amount of money. Of course it wouldn't ruin my life!

ReputationRep:
    My policy for if I ever win any money is to buy a flat, then put the remaining money into a bank account and live off the interest. If the interest is too high (undoubtedly, with that amount), I'd split it off into further bank accounts until my interest is of a level that lets me live happily, but not excessively (£1000 a month, or so max, including any wages/salary).

ReputationRep:
    Apart from my family knowing obviously, I wouldnt tell any of my friends that I had won it. I would tell them that we as a family had inherited some which is why we changed house, had some nice things etc. and I had been given a small chunk to spend on myself. Id get a decent car, buy a load of new clothes, maybe take my friends on a holiday or two. Still go to Uni as planned but buy my own place after the first year. Lots of travelling as well and just live very comfortably whilst there. Then enjoy the rest of my life, travel, work where i wanted etc.

ReputationRep:
    It'll only ruin it if you let. If I was to win it then I would keep it as quiet as possible, so that I don't suddenly gain fake 'friends' and I would put them into various bank accounts and try and live as normal as possible. If I had a job I would probably keep it and I wouldn't splash out too much more than I normally do.

ReputationRep:
    If you do win £120 million, and are concerned about the effect it may have on your life, feel free to send it my way instead. I'll relieve you of the problem.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.