Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you won 120 million on the lottery, would it ruin your life? Watch

ReputationRep:
    You would have to tell people you cared about that you won something, otherwise they wouldn't accept you buying them stuff (which I would of course do). But I would probably tell them I had won dramatically less than I actually had, like £1.2 million as opposed to £120 million...
    My mum hates playing the lottery because she always worries that if she wins she won't know how much money she'll have to give to everyone and that it will cause lots of arguments!

ReputationRep:
    Hell no. (Imagine that in a stereotypical black american woman's voice)

ReputationRep:
    I would only say i won like £100,000 so I could at least splash out without raising to many eyebrows.

I'd still go to uni but I'd live comfortably but not in luxury.

I'd make lots of investments (once the markets sort themselves out) such as shares, property that kinda stuff.

I'd find a offshore bank account with high interest and as little tax as possible.

I'd treat my friends and make sure they don't have any money worries as they are the best.

Finally I would donate large quantities to charity. I always said it would be like 10% but with such a big win of £120mil i think it would be more, I'd probably give the £20mil leaving me with a tidy £100mil

ReputationRep:
    BAHAHAHAH i would probably spend 119 million on modifying myself biologically as to gain extremely strong bones and hyper resistance to stimuli and the rest i would put inside a bank after i get my mom a decent house and spending money maybe some spending money for my relatives and friends e.g. 10k each and my mum 400k ^_^.

I would also get a 30k car and illegaly streetmodify it for 100k ^_^ that would pretty much be it.
    Supporting the op's view humans live to achieve desires and become happy once a human is happy there is no reason to live anymore as there are no desires or needs to work enjoy as the human is happy therefore happiness is lost and the human is prone to a suicidal mentality. ^_^

ReputationRep:
    Its a LOT of money, first of all i wouldn't let anyone know i've won apart from immediate family, put most of it in a savings account, invest some, and buy a nice car and house. It wouldn't ruin my life, no amount of money would ever ruin my life because i'm a saver..so i ent gonna blow it all.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a work-a-holic, so I'd still have a job. Probably invest quite a bit andmove away I guess but I wouldn't really tell anyone I'd won cos people might hunt me down and steal it all :O Hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
    It'll only ruin it if you let. If I was to win it then I would keep it as quiet as possible, so that I don't suddenly gain fake 'friends' and I would put them into various bank accounts and try and live as normal as possible. If I had a job I would probably keep it and I wouldn't splash out too much more than I normally do.
    going by what you say what the hell is the point of having that large amount of money if u arent splashing or rather tsunami-nising it (extremer form of splashing)

ReputationRep:
    I'd buy an African country . . .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratos)
    going by what you say what the hell is the point of having that large amount of money if u arent splashing or rather tsunami-nising it (extremer form of splashing)
    because it would be amazing for any potential children in the future with schooling and universities :moon: Plus it wouldn't mean I wouldn't use it at all I would just try and remain normal as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Since you seem so worried, I just want you to know that if you are ever in this situation, I would be willing to take it off you.. so you can be saved.
    No need to thank me now, money first, gratitude later:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tzar_Chasm)
    I'd buy an African country . . .
    Are you...madonna?:eyeball:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
    because it would be amazing for any potential children in the future with schooling and universities :moon: Plus it wouldn't mean I wouldn't use it at all I would just try and remain normal as possible.
    BAHAHA the kids will face the problems therefore i would advice you to give the son and daughter 30% each and change their bank accounts to those where you can only draw out 10k monthly at max ^_^

Heh, it could scarcely ruin it - that's not possible. I know that I could not handle the attention, but I'm sufficiently reticent and secretive to tell nobody, and I wouldn't tell anybody. Except maybe my father.

ReputationRep:
    Money usually changes people. The song Movado - Money changer , talks about how money doesn't change him , and he usues the mone yfor a good cause. I personally think winning the money would change my life , seeing as I'm from a poor background. I wouldn't tell anyone though , as someone has already mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    It would let me do the things I want at my own pace. For a start, I'd buy a flat or house and go through uni without any money worries and after that I'd go off doing whatever takes my fancy. Jay Kay style car and motorcycle collection is a must though.

ReputationRep:
    I would keep it a secret and just tell my friends that i had a pay rise and it was a good one.
    So no i wouldnt let it ruin my life.

ReputationRep:
    I'd give my parents 2 million for every year I had lived with them. (Which is 18 years now, so they would get 36 million - yes it's a fair amount but the trouble i've put them through.)

I've likely then give a reasonable amount to other family members. All the same amount so no arguing. Maybe half a million. For them and their children.

After that and if you have 120 million the daily interest will be massive (that woman who won 35 million got £5000 interest per day), I would buy myself a car, and insure and tax it. I'd also pay off my parents mortgage. And send them to Hawaii (they have always wanted to go)

I'd also spend some on my friends, but I wouldn't broadcast the amount I have. And i'd set up different accounts with it all in so to keep it safe.

It wouldn't ruin my life. I'd still work the same job I do now (Lifeguard) for the amount I get paid, because I like doing it. If you quit your job you won't have anything to do apart from spend money.

i certainly wouldnt trust people as much. i would tell new friends or gf prior to meeting them so they wouldnt be attracted to me purely for my wealth

ReputationRep:
    Yes, being able to do anything I want would be hell.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know the names of any of the people who've won tens of millions of pounds in previous lotteries - so I guess it isn't that hard to keep it a bit hush hush, at least from the public.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.