Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you won 120 million on the lottery, would it ruin your life? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I won the Lotto last year.

No, it didn't ruin my life. But admittedly I've not told anyone about it apart from my mum, and I've yet to spend even 2% of it. I don't plan to, either. I want to lead a normal life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    My policy for if I ever win any money is to buy a flat, then put the remaining money into a bank account and live off the interest. If the interest is too high (undoubtedly, with that amount), I'd split it off into further bank accounts until my interest is of a level that lets me live happily, but not excessively (£1000 a month, or so max, including any wages/salary).
    That wouldn't take it down.

3% of, say 100 is the same as 3% of 20 + 3% of 20 + 3% of 20 + 3% of 20 + 3% of 20.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    Well for starters I wouldn't tell anybody I had such money, unless it was announced. I'd still lead a normal life tbh.

I would do the exact same. They ask whether or not if one wants the result announced. I would say "no thank-you" and no one would be none the wiser.

ReputationRep:
    There's no way if I won that amount of money I'd even consider keeping it all, I'd give away probably around £80 million.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappinessHappening)
    Let's say that one day you play the Euromillions game on the lottery. The jackpot is 120 million. You win the lot of it.

Would winning that money ruin your life? Could you lead a normal existence among your friends? Would everyone be jealous of you? Would you feel safe? What would you do with that amount of money?
    Would it stuff!

I'd take the money,tell no one, live off the interest and donate some to charity.

ReputationRep:
    That money wouldn't ruin me at all! I'd still be me, just with a nicer lifestyle!

I'd have a lovely home with the finest of gadgets and luxuries, my own plane and pilot and the best hotel rooms wherever I went.

Money wouldn't change me, except make me feel spoilt and invincible!

ReputationRep:
    I think it would, tbh. Ok so it wouldn't ruin my life but I'd be unconfortable with so much money. My dream would be to win £500,000 just after finishing my studies. Or maybe if you took a 0 off the £120m. If it did happen though there would be a few very happy and grateful charities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny_777)
    That wouldn't take it down.

3% of, say 100 is the same as 3% of 20 + 3% of 20 + 3% of 20 + 3% of 20 + 3% of 20.
    No, I meant only using the interest of one account. The rest would gather its own interest elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    My policy for if I ever win any money is to buy a flat, then put the remaining money into a bank account and live off the interest. If the interest is too high (undoubtedly, with that amount), I'd split it off into further bank accounts until my interest is of a level that lets me live happily, but not excessively (£1000 a month, or so max, including any wages/salary).
    you realise that at a really basic rate of about 1% interest your talking 1.2 mill a year in interest alone (its ten grand for every mill) so a £1000 a month in interest youd need a rate of about 0.0001% which is far less than most current accounts for 120 mill

(Original post by Dionysus)
    If you do win £120 million, and are concerned about the effect it may have on your life, feel free to send it my way instead. I'll relieve you of the problem.
    yep me too - i wouldnt want to put that kind of pressure on a human being, please allow me to be a good person and take 60 mill off you

anyway if i won that money it most certainly would not ruin me - id never work again, id get a big house with lots of land so i can do my archery in peace and so my dog has plenty of space to run around in, and id give loads to my family obviously probably 2/3rds of it - 40 mill is plenty for me to live off. I would enjoy life

ReputationRep:
    No, I'd be more than grateful =) But I wouldn't tell anyone or have any publicity.

ReputationRep:
    I would love it. I'd buy a really nice house and car and buy lots of clothes but that'd be about it. I wouldn't start going out and flashing the cash, like buying champagne for thousands of pounds and so on. I'd put about 60-80mil in a bank account. Ah yes, what someone said up there. I would get a private jet :love:

ReputationRep:
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

LET'S GO WILDDDDD!

You sure know how to live dangerously.

ReputationRep:
    Ditto this; then I'd spend the rest of my life as an Epicure.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not.

ReputationRep:
    Unless I lost it all by gambling, then I would have to top myself as it would have ruined my life.

But £120mil, I would be so happy with that and there are so many things in this world you can do with that money, that in no-way would it ruin my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxfire)
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

LET'S GO WILDDDDD!

You sure know how to live dangerously.
    Hehe. Yup. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'd set up a trust, to ensure my childen's future and my mothers old age.
    I'd buy a home, a new car and build an investment portfolio (a lot of buy to let).

I would then set up a charitable foundation and develop projects to :

1. relieve poverty in the UK (yes we have poverty too)
    2. relieve poverty in South Africa (I was born there)
    3. relieve poverty in India and Pakistan (long standing connections)

I would enjoy a family holiday, and then I would continue with life as normal as possible and do what I love, Glass Art.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by βored)
    120 million?! Yeah I reckon that's too much money to win. It's like the Sims really, once you start using the cheats to give yourself unlimited money the game gets boring pretty fast.

I'd wouldn't have the first clue what to do with that much money tbh.
    It's not like the sims though. If life was, i would currently be bricking up my front door before setting the house on fire.

ReputationRep:
    Tell no-one. Invest wisely. Turn it into a billion :awesome:

I would not go about spending it like crazy. Save that until after uni. I would live a more comfortable life, not worry about bills or debts and would definately spend more when I go out.

ReputationRep:
    When they ask you whether or not you want to make it public id say nope! I'd let my parents, sister(if she knew she might be nicer to me for a change) and grandparents know howw much but id tell my friends if was more like half a million so they would understand me buying them stuff. I make sure they all had enough that they were comfortable for the rest of their life, i donate probably about £40 million to various charities, put the rest in the bank and live off of the interest through uni. Then go a bit crazy once ive graduated. But if everyone knew how much it was then yeah life would suck and id probably end up fleeing the country and living in luxury in some random country

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.