Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How to get out of it?

Buy a knife and sort yourself out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dumbdumb)
    the road was clear its not fair its the 2nd time this month ive been done
    Oh STFU, it's perfectly fair. You were double the speed limit! Even if it was clear you still shouldn't have been doing that speed-what if you'd hit someone? I hope they take your licence and don't give it back tbh, you don't deserve it.

And as for 'I can't face not driving'-don't drive at such ridiculous speeds and expect to keep your licence!

No sympathy at all.

ReputationRep:
    **** u ***** i asked 4 advice on how to get away with it
    Well that's the best bit of advice you're likely to get.

You're not going to 'get away with it' and nor should you.

Hope this isn't a troll, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    That's more for people just a few mph over the limit to be honest. Doesn't really apply in this case.
    Yeh like I said, situation. I think he was doing quite a bit over 30mph but nothing like 60!

imo the OP should just have to deal wth the consequences, it's people like him that kill innocent kids :mad2: Get 'em off the road.

(Original post by mituozo)
    Are you serious?

Loads of roads round here where you could manage it easily.
    And the roads around here you can't. Twisty, narrow, bumpy roads with cars parked either side. You could hit 45ish, but not 60.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robbo3045)
    Unlucky....

Yes it would have been unlucky if he hit a child going over 60mph in a 30 zone, that would be pretty unlucky.
    Why do you immediately assume that because it has been decided by a notoriously stupid government that a road should be 30mph limit, that it is laden with children, pedestrians, hazards and sharp corners?

Anybody who has actually driven a car, and thinks that the government have done a great job of labelling roads is a moron.

I'm not saying the OP isn't at fault, but without knowing which road this was, and what the area is like, it's not anywhere near rational or smart to make judgments based on what politicians think is appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    **** u ***** i asked 4 advice on how to get away with it
    You don't deserve to get away with it. You didn't even learn your lesson the first time so obviously something needs to be done to make you think about what you could have caused.

It doesn't matter if anythings on the road or not, you're not an 'all-knowing' being, there could have been people out of your view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    Why do you immediately assume that because it has been decided by a notoriously stupid government that a road should be 30mph limit, that it is laden with children, pedestrians, hazards and sharp corners?

Anybody who has actually driven a car, and thinks that the government have done a great job of labelling roads is a moron.

I'm not saying the OP isn't at fault, but without knowing which road this was, and what the area is like, it's not anywhere near rational or smart to make judgments based on what politicians think is appropriate.
    Yeh some roads are given a much lower limit than what drivers might think is appropriate but that doesn't mean we're right. If he had been doing about 40 mph I might think 'unlucky', but 60 is ridiculous for a 30mph road limit, do you honestly not think?

ReputationRep:
    62mph you know, imagine if a child ran out in the road when you were doing that speed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cconstant)
    oh dear, unlucky mate. Bet the copper was well cocky as when I got caught doing 41 in a 30 he was like "41 is a bit fast dont you think"

62 is pretty disgraceful tho.
    You got caught doing 41? Did you get any points? I always average around 41-42 on a 30 road, if the road is clear enough.

BTW, I don't think people should be so quick to judge the OP. I live next to a dual carriageway and a 3 mile stretch of it is always COMPLETELY empty, you could easily reach 60+ safely but it's a 30.

OP, how were you caught? Was it a stationed cop with a radar gun?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    Yeh some roads are given a much lower limit than what drivers might think is appropriate but that doesn't mean we're right. If he had been doing about 40 mph I might think 'unlucky', but 60 is ridiculous for a 30mph road limit, do you honestly not think?
    Not without seeing the road, no.

Just because the government has labelled a road a 30 road does not mean that 60mph is not suitable for that type of road.

For all you know, the road is a straight wide road running through the middle of an empty field miles away from any children, animals, pedestrians or other hazards.

To make a judgment of the OP based on the idea that the government are right and everybody else is wrong is not a good idea. Especially when the government we speak of is largely incompetent, especially when it comes to driving.

Again, I'm not saying the OP was in the right. It may well have been a road in a built up area, in the middle of the day, with children, pedestrians, hazards and bends. But without knowing that, you have absolutely no basis for judgment without resorting to trusting the government's word on things. Bad idea, as I've said, since anybody who drives a car competently can see that quite a lot of roads have been labelled quite mistakenly indeed.

I am not defending the OP, I am simply retaining judgment until I have seen the facts.

ReputationRep:
    Whether the road should be a 30 or not is irrelevant here. The fact of the matter is that the road IS a 30 and the OP was doing 62. He didn't play by the rules so he's rightly going to get punished for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BurntDesire™)
    You got caught doing 41? Did you get any points? I always average around 41-42 on a 30 road, if the road is clear enough.

BTW, I don't think people should be so quick to judge the OP. I live next to a dual carriageway and a 3 mile stretch of it is always COMPLETELY empty, you could easily reach 60+ safely but it's a 30.

Exactly. All these morons who jump to conclusions about what type of road it is, and assume without basis that it has been labelled appropriately do my head in.

ReputationRep:
    drive backwards at 60mph and it should cancel out your speeding, think that should work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgeman49)
    Whether the road should be a 30 or not is irrelevant here. The fact of the matter is that the road IS a 30 and the OP was doing 62. He didn't play by the rules so he's rightly going to get punished for it.
    I didn't say he wasn't breaking the rules.

I'm simply responding to all the people who are accusing him of being immoral, not of being unlawful (which are two extremely different things).

Some people on this thread have actually said that he's the type of people who 'kills innocent children'. That kind of comment is so far removed from a judgment of lawfulness that I am completely right to challenge it.

The OP did break the law. But he may or may not have done anything 'wrong' with respect to safe and moral driving.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. All these morons who jump to conclusions about what type of road it is, and assume without basis that it has been labelled appropriately do my head in.

So what if it's wrongly labelled? It's still labelled.

You don't get to ignore the laws just because you don't like them.

Break the laws and get caught: face the consequences and if you don't like it: tough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BurntDesire™)

yep, three point and £60 fine.
    Same I always cruise at 40 for some reason. Just seems to be the speed that feels right.

ReputationRep:

But majority of the time, it is 30 for a reason. Agree'd there are a few roads, with greater speed restrictions than you would expect, but usually this is due to bends in the road, or a high level of previous accidents, heeding this action.

And after all, adhering to the speed restrictions - does it really cost us that much time? No.

So why is it such a problem to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)

Break the laws and get caught: face the consequences and if you don't like it: tough.
    As I have already said countless times, I am not saying he didn't break the law, and I'm not saying he shouldn't face consequences.

I'm simply saying that the people who are accusing him of being immoral or unsafe are completely unfounded. You can call him unlawful all you like, the facts are there to prove that he was being unlawful. But whether or not he was being unsafe or immoral is something that nobody here has any way of deciding, and therefore anybody who makes that call is being an irrational, unfounded and discredited fool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)

This.

Even if it was a dead straight piece of road through the middle of a field, law's the law, you broke it pretty severely, therefore you will suffer the consequences of your actions.

Ours is not to question why!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.