Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pompeyspud)
    My God how have you had the patience to see this through to the end? You're completely right of course, and I've worn my hand down to the stump from the constant facepalming I've been doing from some of the people in this thread, congratulations, you're officially a robot hah.
    Thank you very much indeed for some rational support!

About time!

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say those crying about him mowing down small children should wait untill they know more about the road conditions before they shout. For example, i drove home today through a road thats 60 virtually all the way. When it passes through a village it turns into a 30... through the village.. out the other side... houses stop. Pavements stop. Road widens. Could be 3 lanes wide, but white lines painted along the sides to turn it into a single carridgeway. Down a gentle slope in a straight line.... about a kilometer later it turns back into a 60. You could definately in any car do 62.. infact unless your always on the brakes you would be hard pushed not to break the speed limit.

However, at the end of the day, you did twice the speed limit and got caught. Suck it up theres nothing you can do.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my God! OP you're a moron, you don't deserve to get away with it.
    You know that advert on TV, where the girl says "Hit me at 30..." - well if you hit her at friggin 60 you'd knock her into orbit! How would you like that on your god damn conscience, eh?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shark67)
    I hope you get a ban.

Why???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kane_Fizz)
    Why???
    He was going at more than TWICE the legal speed limit and is trying to worm his way out of the consequences. It really doesn't matter if you agree with the limit, to break it by so much is asking for trouble! The fact that he is trying to avoid taking responsibility for his actions is bugging a few people...that he has already admitted that he's been caught speeding less than a month ago indicates that he has yet to learn his lesson. Hopefully 12 months without his license will improve his attitude.

ReputationRep:
    Strangely enough the police don't get kicks from watching us driving slowly. It doesn't make them happy that we're late, either. They enforce the speed limit because cars can't safely do speeds over the limit on particular roads, because of bends, or houses, or pedestrians.

I'm sure if you were the parent of a child that had been hit by a car doing 60 in a 30 you wouldn't be so keen for the speeding driver to be getting away with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Referee)
    He was going at more than TWICE the legal speed limit and is trying to worm his way out of the consequences. It really doesn't matter if you agree with the limit, to break it by so much is asking for trouble! The fact that he is trying to avoid taking responsibility for his actions is bugging a few people...that he has already admitted that he's been caught speeding less than a month ago indicates that he has yet to learn his lesson. Hopefully 12 months without his license will improve his attitude.
    True I sapose, They don'trealise how easy it is to run a child over or anyone for that matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matmanton)
    Strangely enough the police don't get kicks from watching us driving slowly. It doesn't make them happy that we're late, either. They enforce the speed limit because cars can't safely do speeds over the limit on particular roads, because of bends, or houses, or pedestrians.

I'm sure if you were the parent of a child that had been hit by a car doing 60 in a 30 you wouldn't be so keen for the speeding driver to be getting away with it.
    All them kids I encounter when I occasionally do such speeds at around 4am in the morning on a dual carriageway with the houses all backed off from the road.

Shame on me for being such a bad, child killing driver.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    And of course, with no evidence to suggest otherwise you're not being hypocritical at all :rolleyes:
    Erm No, he isn't.

His comment just assumes you have some sort of knowledge of UK law.

You know, the more this thread goes on the more I think this guy and the OP are the same person. As trolling tactics go, I guess it works.
    Not unless we've been reading the thread in different dimensions. His arguments are coherent, cogent, and not without merit.

ReputationRep:
    Idiot. Hope you get banned. Learn your lesson and stop raising young peoples insurance premiums!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    I really wish there were more of these on some roads.

I think it's completely fair that people who do 30/40 on a 60 road should be fined for dangerous driving in the same way that somebody doing 70 on a 60 road gets fined.

Minimum speed requirements should be given to all roads, and officers of the law should have the power to charge people who disobey them.
    I would agree normally, but there's a national speed limit road sandwiched between two 30 stretches near me where you would have to be clinically insane to do 60 on it.

No pavements, narrow, twisty, busy, blind corners and nothing stopping pedestrians walking on it.

ReputationRep:
    If there were mitigating circumstances, why not say them in the first post, instead of totally disregarding that fact. And if there are (e.g. girlfriend giving birth, close family member close to dying) then as I said, evidence would have to be given. Also, no, I don't know what sort of road it is, but for the OP to be doing 62 on a 30 shows a lack of sense. It doesn't matter if the road is clear, and driving conditions are perfect, there is NO reasonto be doing that speed regardless of the road.

Oh, and if I did 30 on a motorway, I'd get done for dangerous driving. It's better to do 70-75 as you don't know what is up ahead. As with this road, he did 62, not knowing what was up ahead (after seeing Fifth Gear and the car into a tractor) and had there been an accident, the OP would, with all probability, be dead or severely injured in hospital

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dumbdumb)
    the road was clear its not fair its the 2nd time this month ive been done
    The reason a speed limit is 30 isn't because of other cars it's because of pavements and the proximity of houses to the road.

You could easily have lost control and killed a pedestrian.

And given that you've been done twice this month, seem to have complete disregard for safety, and don't even seem to feel bad about it, a driving ban of a couple of years doesn't seem remotely unfair to me.

ReputationRep:
    man up, face the consequences. i don't want you on roads i pay for through tax :yep:

ReputationRep:
    UL
    Arsed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgeman49)
    As much as this is a valid point, I don't think I've seen many 30 roads that would be safe to drive at more than say 45. I don't think it's too farfetched to say that at 62, he is probably driving unsafely. Not definitely, but very probably.
    And when you consider the the O.P. is obviously a blithering t**t, this likelihood increases severalfold.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.