Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I spend alot of time just wallowing in self-pity, but it's because the feelings are there. I want some company but at the same time it seems so much easier to just avoid people. At least that way I don't have to deal with the wanting to be around others.

A case of too much free time during the fun summer holidays? Irony.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Keep yourself occupied by doing things; reading; walking; etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I spend alot of time just wallowing in self-pity, but it's because the feelings are there. I want some company but at the same time it seems so much easier to just avoid people. At least that way I don't have to deal with the wanting to be around others.

I don't want to sound cliche but anything worthwhile isn't going to come easily. Avoiding people in this situation is the worst thing you can do!

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm are you asking for advice here?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    Are you giving it? :p:

ReputationRep:

make plans, you'll enjoy spending time with people when you're there. I do sort of understand where you're coming from, I've been in this mood all day.

ReputationRep:
    Many people go through the same thing, even I do at some points. These are just my fun time fillers ;
    -Recommended movies
    -Online MMORPGs
    -Random walks
    -A good book
    -Work (if you can find any)
    -Take up a hobby such as learning how to do things in flash/photoshop/other programs
    -Recommended shows/anime

That's all I've got lol

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you're just used to being sad, so it's familiar and homely? Try doing something completely out of your comfort zone, challenge yourself, it will be rewarding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnum Opus)
    Are you giving it? :p:
    I don't exercise my brain without reason :mmm:

(Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    Sure. I could do with some advice. How do I stop my feelings?

I want to be close to people but there's only so much friendships can offer. Things would be easier if I didn't care so much about wanting relationships in the first place.

ReputationRep:

I want to be close to people but there's only so much friendships can offer. Things would be easier if I didn't care so much about wanting relationships in the first place.
    You can't stop your feelings, but you can make changes to your life that will result in a better general mood. Maybe find a way to meet some new people?

(Original post by AustralAlien)
    Perhaps you're just used to being sad, so it's familiar and homely? Try doing something completely out of your comfort zone, challenge yourself, it will be rewarding.
    This is actually true. I find it twisted how I find sadness quite comforting in some ways, as if this is the place I'm meant to be in.

ReputationRep:
    "There's only so much friendships can offer"

Presumably they offer more than just being alone all the time? From what I've read on here there's plenty of people going through situations similar to yours particularly during the summer holidays so the best thing I'd say is to actually go out and make the effort to make friends , yeah you may think it's hard work but in the long run it'll be better , you'll get more out of it , plus your current negative mindset can't be good for your health/personality either.

Have you heard the song Lithium by Evanescence btw? :p:

ReputationRep:

You will always have feelings. Just replace them with happy feelings. Find people who think like you

ReputationRep:
    appreciate what you have!

ReputationRep:
    Some people have real reasons to be sad ?

Get a grip

ReputationRep:
    This is actually true. I find it twisted how I find sadness quite comforting in some ways, as if this is the place I'm meant to be in.
    Well it is if you think it is, it is all in your mind after all.

(Original post by Cupcakee)
    Some people have real reasons to be sad ?

Get a grip
    As useful as telling me to stop thinking. Get some perspective.

ReputationRep:

I feel similar to you Hang in there!

ReputationRep:
    As useful as telling me to stop thinking. Get some perspective.
    Not really, seriously people that mope around and feel sorry for themselves really piss me off. Look at the lives that others lead. I am not saying you don't have problems, everyone has troubles, but the message I get from your thread is..."I am feeling sorry for myself. Give sympathy." :woo:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.