Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

1 in 3 will get Swine Flu in the winter Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you believe "1 in 3 will get swine flu in the coming winter"?
    **** no.
    22.47%
    Yes, I'm brainwashed from the news.
    19.10%
    Yeah, cos' I got Swinnie the Flu!
    10.11%
    I don't care. Who cares anyway?
    48.31%

Apparently. :rolleyes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8150609.stm

I mean, who comes up with this ****?

Before, 100,000 every day will get it until the end of August, now they're saying around 20million will get in a few months and it'll last for years...

This is ********! It's never going to happen!

Whatever next?

It's really pissing me off now - seriously.

I mean, do you believe this, honestly?

ReputationRep:
    No. I don't believe it. It certainly won't last years, at least not in the developed world.

ReputationRep:
    In other words, 2 in 3 won't get it.

ReputationRep:
    Why wouldn't it happen? It's a flu, doesn't mean 1 in 3 die... It is highly likely.

ReputationRep:
    Why would I not believe it...
    They are in a position of more knowledge than I am and anyway 1 in 3 getting it really wouldn't surprise me

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just stop making threads about swine flu if the media are bothering you that much? You keep making out like the coverage of the whole thing is annoying you, but you're definitely the TSR user I've seen posting about it the most. It's kind of boring now.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by electriic_ink)
    In other words, 2 in 3 won't get it.
    They will get it in Summer instead

ReputationRep:
    bird flu was the worry last winter. the news of it wasn't as extreme as this. people think that today medicine has advanced so far etc, but you have to wonder why flu hasn't ever disappeared. why would someone warn of this if there wasn't a potential of this happening?

ReputationRep:
    I've started to take it more serious now, knowing my friend has got it. Also this guy has got it who lives like a couple streets away from me. I'm glad im not staying here for the summer :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    isn't there a vaccine?
    surely if people are vaccinated it won't be this much

ReputationRep:
    Its serious when Micah "The Train" Richards gets it.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I don't. What better way to scare people into getting the vaccine than exaggerating the figures. They might well be right, but I tend not to trust goverment figures about a virus that seems to have been hyped from the get to *shrug*

ReputationRep:
    No, plz, I don't want to dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeee! :sad:

ReputationRep:
    If having a bit of a snivel and a runny nose is classed as Swine Flu now, then its probably right.

ReputationRep:
    My Aunt's a consultant/doctor and she said the government preparation for it is huge. She's stockpiling the necessary medicine for her and her family. I would take it seriously.

It's not as bad as regular flu, and i'd rather not get any kind of flu at all, but considering how quickly its spreading, I'm taking it as seriously as I'd take any threat to my health.

ReputationRep:
    Swine Flu overreaction is gripping the nation at the moment, and it's the middle of summer. Even my sister suggested this morning that she might have swine flu because she felt "a bit off" :rolleyes:
    Come winter when cold season is in full swing, anyone who gets a mild sniffle will say they've got swine flu.

I'm not worried at the moment to be honest - a miniscule percentage of people who've caught it have died. When people start dropping dead in the street I'll start worrying, but I'm not going to let it take over my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    Swine Flu overreaction is gripping the nation at the moment, and it's the middle of summer. Even my sister suggested this morning that she might have swine flu because she felt "a bit off" :rolleyes:
    Come winter when cold season is in full swing, anyone who gets a mild sniffle will say they've got swine flu.
    I'm just going to literally kill anyone who cries swine flu at a runny nose. The swine flu related deaths will rocket then :woo:

ReputationRep:
    this is really starting to scare me, how long is it going to take

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine has swine flu. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    when's the vaccine coming out??

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.