Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How hard is it to upgrade suspension? My car has been lowered (Civic '94) and needs new springs I assume and to be raised....

Is it impossible for a novice to do this alone?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Nope... not hard at all.
    A few basic hand tools, a good socket set, breaker bar, possibly a spring compressor and a vice will be all you need.

I rebuilt the front suspension of my car in march without any difficulties at all.... except for needing to use an oxy acetelene torch to burn the old anti roll bar bushes out of their former home!!!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I see. Do you know what steps I need to take next:?

Honda Civic 1994, bought lowered and it is very low and very bumpy.

Are springs universal or do I need to search one for this Civic?

What do I do to lift the car up?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    PS I'm not a troll allthough it looks like it I can take a photo if you don't believe me

ReputationRep:
    Do it one side at a time, strip the suspension down to its component parts.
    Shoot some primer and some hammerite over the bits you're keeping... spring pans, wishbone arms etc...
    I tend to get impatient and flash off the thinners in the paint with a blowlamp - im not prepared to sit and watch paint dry.

Then just reassemble with new bolts, bushes, springs and dampers.

You'll be able to get OE spec springs and dampers from honda and stick the old set on ebay to claim back a few pennies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Do it one side at a time, strip the suspension down to its component parts.
    Shoot some primer and some hammerite over the bits you're keeping... spring pans, wishbone arms etc...
    I tend to get impatient and flash off the thinners in the paint with a blowlamp - im not prepared to sit and watch paint dry.

Then just reassemble with new bolts, bushes, springs and dampers.

You'll be able to get OE spec springs and dampers from honda and stick the old set on ebay to claim back a few pennies.

Ok thanks, do you know where a good place to order OE spec parts is?
    What equpiment will I need to lift it up?

Thanks alot

ReputationRep:
    your suspension may be similar to that of my Rovers, i changed the whole strut units and its a very easy job. i wouldnt suggest mucking about with spring compressors as you should be able to get a full complete second hand set very cheap anyways. id go to the scrappers and find the car with least mileage on and thats been best looked after.

you will definitely need, as JC says, a breaker bar, set of hex sockets and some penetrating fluid.

ReputationRep:
    It's not impossible. Just make sure you feel confident enough to do it, and confident enough that you'll actually finish the job. Because it can be tricky, even with the right tools.
    Also, spring compressors are pretty dangerous with the springs compressed (springs flying out of the compressor if done incorrectly). So be particularly careful with that.

Get a decent jack, and some axel stands (never leave a car on a jack when working on it) in addition to the tools mentioned above.
    Use grease to ensure everything goes back together smoothly.

ReputationRep:
    thanks this is a great help and bit of a confidence boost too D:

Can anyone explain to me what has actually been done to my car?

Has the old suspension system been taken apart and replaced with tighter springs?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by audiocity)
    thanks this is a great help and bit of a confidence boost too D:

Can anyone explain to me what has actually been done to my car?

Has the old suspension system been taken apart and replaced with tighter springs?

Thanks
    we dont know. if its a cheapo job which is very common, he will have just changed the springs for something like GMAX or PI etc, if he had more money than sense he would have fitted the full kit, springs and dampers.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks I'll have to find some springs and dampers now. Is it possible to take them from any car or must they be specific to this Civic?

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know whether I need to buy springs specifically designed for this Civic, or whether there are universal ones that will do the job?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 14, 2009
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.