Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm quite new to strength training. I'm trying mostly to tone my chest, with gaining strength a secondary goal. At the moment, i can pec fly around 56 kg (4 sets of 10), then bench press around the same number, and then do other chest exercises. My query is this...how much rest would you recommend? I do this workout around 4 times a week, but after reading up online, this seems rather foolish. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm impressed. Especially considering snakes have no limbs.

ReputationRep:
    You need to work your back otherwise you will
    a. look ridiculous
    b. get injured

ReputationRep:
    nothing to say he isn't ^

4 times seems a lot, I know for me once a week is good, my chest is usually crying for a few days afterwards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    a. look ridiculous
    b. get injured
    Oh I am actually doing it too, perhaps not to the same intensity though. But is what I'm doing OK, or do I need to do more / less?

ReputationRep:
    You do pec flies with the same amount you bench press? I'm convinced you are unaware of what at least one of these exercises actually is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    You do pec flies with the same amount you bench press? I'm convinced you are unaware of what at least one of these exercises actually is.
    Nono, I bench press with the same number of reps but lower weight (I have quite weak tricepts at the moment)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solid_Snake_100)
    Nono, I bench press with the same number of reps but lower weight (I have quite weak tricepts at the moment)
    This is even more alarming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    This is even more alarming.
    agreed, flyes are a isolation exercise, you sould be much weaker with them than with the bench press.

Unless its machines vs. freeweights, thats dif.

Otherwise, my advice=

work chest equally to back, just to make sure your not injured, it's good to keep things equal.

Also you really need to think about shoulders, they're used a bit in those exercises and you'll be looking at injury if you don't, they will also limit your strength gains.

Other than that, if it's all that your doing, 3 times a week is good enough. you must have atleast a days rest between workouts. and some experienced people say they can't continue 3 times a week, and cut to 2, or do a split with 1 day a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoshifumu)
    agreed, flyes are a isolation exercise, you sould be much weaker with them than with the bench press.

Unless its machines vs. freeweights, thats dif.

Otherwise, my advice=

work chest equally to back, just to make sure your not injured, it's good to keep things equal.

Also you really need to think about shoulders, they're used a bit in those exercises and you'll be looking at injury if you don't, they will also limit your strength gains.

Other than that, if it's all that your doing, 3 times a week is good enough. you must have atleast a days rest between workouts. and some experienced people say they can't continue 3 times a week, and cut to 2, or do a split with 1 day a week.
    Ahh ok thanks a lot. I'm actually using machines for these exercises (yes im a noob i know...), wide and narrow grip for the fly, and the standard machine for bench press. While my 1 rep maximum is around 68 on the fly, i cant manage as much on the bench press.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    a. look ridiculous
    b. get injured

aha seen this tool of a kid in a club last week who looked like a kinda hunchback where he had just trained chest with no back it looked really bad.

ReputationRep:
    Sort out diet if you want to loose BF/want to gain muscle, then head to the gym. . . wanna gain good.. post your diet/specific goals, eg loose bodyfat then gain muscle, or bulk then cut...

As for training 4x a week it totally depends on intensity. if you are training your chest to failure on the bench press 5 sets 4 times a week then you are probably overtraining, try two chest workouts a week, or maybe one. as said also train back or you could end up looking hunched as your chest pulls your body forward.

there's not much point in going to failure on isolation exercises, save some glycogen for the compound exercises and avoic isolation exercises as they are not as effective as compound movements. chest press is good. do you do any other chest exercises?

basically you need to plan out a good routine and diet.. so if you want list your current routine/diet

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.