Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Physically assaulted with an affected level of confidence watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was brutally assaulted in the outside area of a bar, by a complete psychopath, over the weekend, in an unprovoked attack, and it has kind of bruised (excuse the pun) my ego and confidence.

Now I'm usually a confident, happy go lucky kind of guy, but I can't help but feel a bit low, mainly due to the marks on my face, which people seem to be gawking at.

Can anybody relate to this? If so, how long did it take for you to 'get over it'?

I have a feeling once the bruises have healed that I'll be back to my usual self!

At the moment I'm finding it hard to look people in the eye, as my face is a bit of a mess, and I can't help but feel that everybody is judging me in some kind of way!

ReputationRep:
    Well you obviously offended the first bloke who attacked you.

I can't relate to it but most likely people aren't judging you it is just shock if I saw someone I see often with bruises all over their face I would look too. It will be ok after they heal up. And above poster that isn't true people just tend to go looking for fights and he was most likely pissed out of his brains.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    Great answer - Thanks

Even if true, do you think that justifies physically assualting somebody? We're not just talking about a punch up here either - This was rather serious ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    How come you've assumed that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    How come you've assumed that?
    Either that or he was unfortunately placed in front of the man's blows and decided not to move.

I assume nothing :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    The world's filled with all sort of individuals, some who'll be staring as hell and judge you by your looks and other who'll give you a chance regardless of your imperfections.

I don't think you can get over it when you're self-concious and aware of how "terrible" you look. You have got to live with it. People don't know your background and what you've gone through and you don't need to explain it to anyone but yourself. You know how ******* good you look with/without your scars and that's all that counts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    And you know this how?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    And you know this how?
    Victims are usually those who don't know when to lower their heads or just move out of the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    Either that or he was unfortunately placed in front of the man's blows and decided not to move.

I assume nothing :awesome:
    My Dad was recently assualted and kicked in the head by a gang of people 'just for a laugh'. He had done absolutely nothing and wasn't even looking in their direction.

Some people are just vile *******s who think it's big and clever to put people in hospital.

ReputationRep:
    My friend got punched by another girl at a party, we were all drunk but had done nothing wrong, these things happen (to those debating it above)

To OP, you confidence will come back, and the bruises will fade soon... keep strong x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    Victims are usually those who don't know when to lower their heads or just move out of the way.
    As you say, usually, so it might be that he didn't provoke the dude....

It's possible yes?

ReputationRep:
    Well a group of chavs jumped me and two other friends a few years ago when walking across the mountainside at 2 in the morning. Alright, so that's probably a stupid idea anyway, but we did nothing to provoke them, they just fancied a high.

They didn't do remarkable damage to me, just a fat lip that lasted a day, **** fighters really.
    But still you should be fine, confidence-wise, in a few weeks or so, OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    Nice....

For the record, the crazy dude jumped me from behind, took me to the floor and proceeded to punch and kick me to the face whilst putting both of his knees into my shoulders, ensuring that I could not move...

Most of us would be defenseless in this situation, especially when it comes out of nowhere and happens so fast.

What had I done? Absolutely nothing. The guy obviously had mental health issues, especially as I look like somebody who can handle themselves quite well!

Everybody around was shocked, and disturbed, and according to witness's, literally 10-15 people were trying to pull the psycho off.

Make jokes as much as you want mate, but its certainly not funny when this kind of thing actually happens to you.

ReputationRep:
    I had the same thing a few years ago walking home from work, ended up in a sling from a dislocated shoulder and had footprints in the side of my head for a few weeks. The confidence issue does pass, it's just a case of time.

And as for the people staring at you, **** them. They don't matter one jot.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for all the serious answers guys. I'm sure I'll be alright in a few days.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, research shows girls are turned on by 'battle scars' on men.

I don't know what you should do about confidence, but don't worry too much about bruises.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.