Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi folks!

I'm going to Jodhpur at the end of this week, and am flying into Delhi before getting the overnight train for the rest of the journey. However, I arrive in Delhi at 11am and my train isn't due to leave until about half 8 in the evening, so I need something to do for the rest of the day. I'm on my own and it's my first visit to India so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I've been trying to learn some Hindi and it's not very forthcoming, so will I be ok with the language barrier? I'm there for 6 weeks so hopefully I'll pick it up once I'm there, but to start with do many people speak English?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Ooooo, I'm going in a few weeks! Though only staying in Delhi for a few days. I'm not really sure what to suggest on what to do though I'd really recommend getting the Lonely Planet book as it gives you all the different places to visit!

Here's a link to it; http://www.amazon.co.uk/India-Lonely...7607210&sr=8-7

That's the newest link I could find.

ReputationRep:
    get drunk and shout at shop keepers who don't speak english its what british people do on holiday...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Less_then_zero)
    get drunk and shout at shop keepers who don't speak english its what british people do on holiday...

But I only have a few hours... :p:

ReputationRep:
    I had all eyes on me there, I think cuz I'm white and they don't have many whites there..well i didn't see any. I felt like I was famous Also ... go down the road...for ages.. and the taj mahal is there somewhere... now that was good. and i stepped in dog sh*t.

ps. the trains are creepy as, they have ******s everywhere:yep:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Go to the Red Fort - amazing place. It's not too far out. I think Chandni Chowk is the market area. Fantastic place. Shame you haven't got longer.
    English is very widely understood.

ReputationRep:
    your in for a culture shock

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissHero)
    Hi folks!

I'm going to Jodhpur at the end of this week, and am flying into Delhi before getting the overnight train for the rest of the journey. However, I arrive in Delhi at 11am and my train isn't due to leave until about half 8 in the evening, so I need something to do for the rest of the day. I'm on my own and it's my first visit to India so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I've been trying to learn some Hindi and it's not very forthcoming, so will I be ok with the language barrier? I'm there for 6 weeks so hopefully I'll pick it up once I'm there, but to start with do many people speak English?

Thank you!

Why are you visiting Dehli?
    It is Baghdad but just in India.

English- Most have poor standard educations, most don't speak English. How you going to communicate?

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Some ignorance in this thread.

OP be ready for the most refreshing culture shock!

I advise visiting the Akshardham Temple for the beautiful architecture and atmosphere.

Also don't worry about the language barrier, pick up the basics and trust me you will be looked highly upon for at least attempting Hindi; most shopkeepers speak English so I wouldn't worry about the language barrier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4G_dollars)
    Why are you visiting Dehli?
    It is Baghdad but just in India.

English- Most have poor standard educations, most don't speak English. How you going to communicate?

Did you read the post you just quoted? I'm going to be there for a number of hours, whilst waiting for a connecting train.

Aside from that, I think your comments are rather ill informed too.

ReputationRep:
    Did you read the post you just quoted? I'm going to be there for a number of hours, whilst waiting for a connecting train.

Aside from that, I think your comments are rather ill informed too.
    No, not really. I just saw the title and a bit of the English bit, and thought I would comment. Ill-informed, how? As far as I am aware, the majority do not speak English. It is Baghdad just in India- that is a matter of opinion. Don't get your underwear in a twist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorian gray)
    Wow. Some ignorance in this thread.

OP be ready for the most refreshing culture shock!

I advise visiting the Akshardham Temple for the beautiful architecture and atmosphere.

Also don't worry about the language barrier, pick up the basics and trust me you will be looked highly upon for at least attempting Hindi; most shopkeepers speak English so I wouldn't worry about the language barrier.

Thank you
    I've been attempting to learn, but it's from a book/tape and I find it really hard learning without speakint to somebody.

I've only got a little while and it seems daft to spend it in the station/airport when its a place I am new to!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you
    I've been attempting to learn, but it's from a book/tape and I find it really hard learning without speakint to somebody.

I've only got a little while and it seems daft to spend it in the station/airport when its a place I am new to!
    Learn this: Meera damaakh krrrave hai.

In order to not get a warning, it means, there is something wrong with my head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4G_dollars)
    Learn this: Meera damaakh krrrave hai.

In order to not get a warning, it means, there is something wrong with my mind.
    Fixed.

Just out of interest, how much rep power do people in the red have? Does it inverse and negative becomes positive, that would be fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorian gray)
    Fixed.

Just out of interest, how much rep power do people in the red have? Does it inverse and negative becomes positive, that would be fun.
    I dunno really. I am not slitting my wrists anytime soon over extra neg reps.

ReputationRep:
    Just take a book and find a park or something?

ReputationRep:
    Was in Delhi a few weeks ago.
    Most people speak enough english to get by, if there are any problems try to find a hotel.
    There isn't much to do there because it will probably be stinking hot or the monsoon, but there are some interesting shops. When haggling, aim for half the price they start with.
    The Taj Mahal and Agra Fort are in Agra, which is a 2 hour train journey away. To arrange this, either do it through www.seat61.com (I think the link is www.itrc.com) or you can hire a taxi, which is obviously more expensive.
    Lonely Planet is brilliant, but you can pick them up much more cheaply when you're out there.
    Hope you have a good time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimbogab)
    your in for a culture shock
    :p: correct.
    I doubt you'll want to do much, if your going in the next couple of months it's going to be very hot. Dont head to Paharganj though, it's a dump.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.