Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Calorie Counting When Dieting? 1000 cals Enough? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to diet by having no more than 1000 calories per day but when I mentioned this to a few of my friends they said this was the wrong way to go about reducing the amount that I eat because the fat content of food is what really matters. Is this true or am I fine to count just the calories?

Also, one of them said that 1000 cals was not enough and told me that this tricks the body into thinking your starving it and causes you to bloat up as a result. I'm hoping this is just a silly myth but just want to make sure that is!

Thanks for any help!

ReputationRep:
    Simple Answer: No

ReputationRep:
    You don't necessarily need to look just at the fat. Dietary fat does not go straight to body fat.

1000kcal is not enough. It's not that having only 1000kcal will cause you to bloat, but that it will likely lead to the body to store more fat.

You should eat about 300-500ish cal below maintenance intake. There are websites to estimate your maintenance calorie needs.

1000kcal is not enough and you will fail in the long run. You will definitely lose weight, but when you start eating again you're going to have a lot of trouble controlling your weight.

ReputationRep:
    NO; the average amount needed for a person is 2000-25000 just to keep the body moving, so cutting it down to 1000 will drastically hurt you.

And it causes bloating because the body stores whatever energy you get as fat (to save as energy for later) because it's getting less. So not a good look either.

Try cutting down on fat and carbs, but not cut them out all together.

Also trying exercising! This will majorly help you

ReputationRep:
    Search BMR - click top link.

ReputationRep:
    Get your BMR then eat above it by 200 or so calories, BMR is an accurate measurement of how much energy your muscle uses to keep itself alive. Effectively what you would use if you did nothing all day. By eating above this then doing work to create a kcal deficit the aim is to keep as much lean tissue (good) as possible whilst slowly and healthily reducing the fat tissue.

Basically eating 1000 a day will make your body reduce its bmr and shed excess muscle which, whilst it will make you lighter will not make you thinner and loose any 'tone' you have or may have once the fat is reduced.

ReputationRep:
    For a lil scientific info:

by cutting to 1000 kcal, your most likely drastically below your maintenance rate, and cutting into your BMR. As a result, although you will lose fat, you will also lose muscle.

Muscle is the part of your body that burns the most daily calories.

so as a result, when you come off our diet at your optimum weight, you'll have less muscle, which means if you eat the same as before, you could gain weight at a much faster rate. not only that, but you'll overshoot your previous weight and become much more chubby.

Thats why they say that it gets harder each time you try to lose weight.

What you should do, is do exercise to maintain your muscles, and cut only 500-1000 kcal below your maintenance, this assures 1-2 lbs a week are lost, and it's healthy.

To find out your maintenance google harris-benedict equation.

BTW, it doesn't matter what you eat, it only matters about the calories. fats can be turned into other things, and carbs and protein can be turned into fat.

ReputationRep:
    No less than 1200 minimum and even that is barely enough to survive just by being alive.

ReputationRep:
    ...well what you should do is swim 7 or so times a week for two hours a time and eat thousands upon thousands of calories a day!

ReputationRep:
    I just went on a website to calculate my maintenance calorie thing and to lose weight normally, I should be eating around 1297 calories a day...
    Or to lose weight faster about 976.. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhii)
    I just went on a website to calculate my maintenance calorie thing and to lose weight normally, I should be eating around 1297 calories a day...
    Or to lose weight faster about 976.. :/
    Was exercise factored into that?
    And which calculator did you use? They vary, most tell me my BMR is around 1400, but one i tried said 1200 :confused:
    Either way, 1000 cals isn't excessively low for me, but i'm only 5'1.

ReputationRep:
    My BMR is something like 1581 and that does not include exercise! BMR is if you lay in bed all day - it is what your body needs to process.

ReputationRep:
    The thing to remember with bmr, is that you must use a multiplier to factor in your activity. As you're in the fitness forum and working to a specific goal, i assume that you plan to be quite active. In this case multiply your bmr by 1.55.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QueenOfTheAmazons)
    Was exercise factored into that?
    And which calculator did you use? They vary, most tell me my BMR is around 1400, but one i tried said 1200 :confused:
    Either way, 1000 cals isn't excessively low for me, but i'm only 5'1.
    Yeah mine as with the sort of exercise i used put into that... :/
    It just doesn't seem right somehow...

ReputationRep:
    i'm like 5'9 and size 10 at moment. done the 1000 cal diet before and it works. got down to a 6. so not worth it though. i was tired and irritable all the time not to mention downright depressed.it was not a happy time. also when you start eating normally again you put the weight back on so fast it's unreal. so basically my answer is no. i would definately not reccommend doing it.

ReputationRep:
    For 4 days I've eaten only 1000 cals per day (or maybe slightly over) and I've been fine, obviously I've felt hungry in between meals but no more than I would have normally, its just that I would have eaten to make myself feel better. I'm going to carry on until 7 days to see how much I have lost, just because I'm curious now. My BMR thing said that I should be eating 1300 cals a day to guarentee weight loss of 1-2 pounds a week so I will probably increase my cals to that amount after a week.

ReputationRep:
    You may lose weight, but it may also not be fat loss. Hence why you need the right amount of cals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melting Sugar.)
    No less than 1200 minimum and even that is barely enough to survive just by being alive.
    What about a female (like me) who is 5ft?

ReputationRep:
    1000 calories is a starvation diet. It'll cause your metabolism to drop and you'll find after the initial quick weight loss you'll stop losing weight. You can permanently reduce your metabolism by going on starvation diets and lead to greater weight gain in the future. 1200-1500 is the best level at which to lose weight.... besides they've just realised that calories have all been calculated wrong and you'd just be better off eating sensibly and healthily and exercising regularly then following any sort of numerical rule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selenax)
    i'm like 5'9 and size 10 at moment. done the 1000 cal diet before and it works. got down to a 6. so not worth it though. i was tired and irritable all the time not to mention downright depressed.it was not a happy time. also when you start eating normally again you put the weight back on so fast it's unreal. so basically my answer is no. i would definitely not reccommend doing it.
    Sounds just like I was! I am a size 12 at the moment though but used to be a size 6/8... but I did not eat much :o:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.