Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which degree would you rather have? (Poll). Watch

• View Poll Results: Which degree would you rather have?
    A third from Cambridge.
    30.00%
    A 2:2 from the Uni of Nottingham.
    24.31%
    A 2:1 from Canterbury Christ Church.
    17.41%
    A first from Thames Valley.
    28.28%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    That's an issue as they are not national qualifications in the same way that 'A' levels are. However, people will ignore that 'lesser' universities, however perceived, can have just as demanding courses as their 'higher regarded' counterparts. I've seen some thought of this matter but because a select bunch of 'lesser' institutions have 'easier' degrees it is assumed that they all do.

A few months back someone posted on how easy the UCLan maths course is compared to UCL. But then I just pointed out how hard Cambridge is to UCL. I don't think we can make too much out of 'A' levels to degree, in terms of academic progress, they're too different. Intelligence is a word I will refrain from using in this context. I've seen some high performers from 'A' levels write some awful essays with some more modest achievers excelling. Too many people think they've made it I guess.
    Surely the difficulty of the course is irrelevant? You are being compared with the other students in your year - if you outperform the vast majority, you get a First? Outperforming the vast majority would be easier at TVU than at cambridge, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    You are being compared with the other students in your year - if you outperform the vast majority, you get a First?
    Doesn't stop departments at 'prestigious' universities awarding 60% of firsts for one subject so I'm not really sure you're compared to the rest strictly speaking.

ReputationRep:
    none

i would prefer a 2.1 from a place like manchester or nottingham

ReputationRep:
    2:2 is decent enough for me, plus Notts is my home town
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by neodymium)
    none

i would prefer a 2.1 from a place like manchester or nottingham
    That's not available, though. :p:

ReputationRep:
    If I would enjoy being at all the universities equally, the first from Thames Valley.

ReputationRep:
    either nottingham or CCC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apfel)
    If I would enjoy being at all the universities equally, the first from Thames Valley.
    you do not deserve uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cool guy reli)
    you do not deserve uni
    I'm not actually going to Thames Valley, I would just pick a first from there over a third from Cambridge. Get your head out of your ass and realise prestige isn't everything. :|

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge, then make up some scrap excuse about my dog dying or blah blah blah for getting a third :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'd take a first anyday, based on my experience of working with people from a wide range of universities. The problem is that everyone assumes that places like tvu are full of school-leavers like the russell group universities. Many students at places like tvu are mature students or part-time students on day release who many not actually have done any a-levels and are attending the nearest university or one that they employer has a partnership with. These students don't have the kind of academic background that you would encounter at cambridge. Doesn't mean they aren't capable of doing well in the right environment.

ReputationRep:
    a third from cam is ****

do they even give out thirds? I thought they just kicked you out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Surely the difficulty of the course is irrelevant? You are being compared with the other students in your year - if you outperform the vast majority, you get a First? Outperforming the vast majority would be easier at TVU than at cambridge, no?
    well they do have external moderation

ReputationRep:
    Okay so my friend and I are having a debate and aren't getting anywhere, so I'm leaving it for TSR to decide.
    The debate is which is better (subject is physics) a 2:1 from UCL or a 1st from Royal holloway?
    I'm for the 1st from RHUL, 1st is a 1st...perhaps it's not from a university as reputable as UCL but still the difference isn't that great and definately not enough for a 2:1 to equal a 1st from RHUL.
    Now then guys, settle this once and for all...

ReputationRep:
    1st.

ReputationRep:
    1st from RH

People really big up the reputation of UCL. outside the UK UCL is hardly known I've heard besides, royal holloway is a very good university and they're both universities of london

It would be a better question to compare Imperial College London against Royal Holloway. In that case I would say the 2:1 from Imperial as Imperial is specifically known as a science college rather than royal holloway which delves more into the history/politics side of things.

ReputationRep:
    The first class degree, hands down. Come on, a first from the University of London? You can't say no to that.

ReputationRep:
    1st probably but would take the 2.1 personally.

ReputationRep:
    These threads are too common. The first. Always the first.

ReputationRep:
    First. First is epic. It just shows you're clearly capable of getting into UCL but you wanted to go hang with the cool kids :cool:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.