Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which degree would you rather have? (Poll). Watch

• View Poll Results: Which degree would you rather have?
    A third from Cambridge.
    30.00%
    A 2:2 from the Uni of Nottingham.
    24.31%
    A 2:1 from Canterbury Christ Church.
    17.41%
    A first from Thames Valley.
    28.28%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkadykris)
    it's amazing that some people here think that two people applying for the same job, one with 2:1 from cambridge, and another with a 2:1 from somewhere like RGU will have their qualifications judged equally!

degrees aren't a-levels! they aren't public exams graded centrally!

additionally,

1. having gotten in to oxbridge you will have an excellent background and most likely be very diverse in your non-academic interests... something else employers want.

2. having attended oxbridge you will have had a far more rigourous and diverse educational experience - especially with the tutorial system.

when i was helping my sister apply for jobs back in november she was signing up with a major uk graduate recruiter for the online tests etc and after clicking through the initial screens she was confronted with a page that said:

"You must have at least a 2:1 from one of the following universities:

Oxford
    Cambridge
    St Andrews
    Warwick
    LSE
    UCL
    Edinburgh
    Imperial
    Durham
    York

If not, you may not proceed with this application"

... she got a 2:1 at manchester and was gutted.

why do you think that employers ask for UCAS point scores now? they ask because of grade inflations at crap universities that hand out 2:1s like there's no tomorrow. if you're going to a bottom third univeristy, you most likely did poorly at a-level and a prospective graduate employer (like BAE) will see this when you enter your UCAS tariff. despite the devalution of alevels theyre still the only nationally graded and weighted exams in the uk. degree classifications should be marked "indicative of performance only."

if it were the case that, say, all politics degrees are equal, why would anyone bother exerting themselves and striving for the likes of the unis mentioned above? why would they strive to get the best a-level results they can to get into the best universities? the rational thing to do (and surely any super smart student would know this) would be to go to a sit-off uni like liverpool hope, have a blast do the bare minimum and walk out ready to snap up that £40k job in the city --- rather than sweating in the bodleian at 9pm on a thursday to write your 4th essay of the week.

of course, the "all 2:1s are the same argument" is the all to frequent protest of those who went to medicore institutions.

peace
    I have never heard of this before, anywhere. While targetting does exist- nowhere to my knowledge would be so blatant in providing a list of universities for the initial stage of the application (not least because there's little reason to list those ones and not several others), and I'm inclined to go with my experience here and say that this is false. Can you provide a link to the online graduate scheme form?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0404343m)
    I have never heard of this before, anywhere. While targetting does exist- nowhere to my knowledge would be so blatant in providing a list of universities for the initial stage of the application (not least because there's little reason to list those ones and not several others), and I'm inclined to go with my experience here and say that this is false. Can you provide a link to the online graduate scheme form?
    I've been told by several friends that providing a list of top universities for the initial stage of an application is very common for Invesment Banking vacancies.

P.S. I'm not just saying this because I'm concerned about prestige of universities, this is genuinely what I've heard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T. Hereford)
    I've been told by several friends that providing a list of top universities for the initial stage of an application is very common for Invesment Banking vacancies.

P.S. I'm not just saying this because I'm concerned about prestige of universities, this is genuinely what I've heard.
    Fair enough- I don't doubt you. What I do doubt is an online application with a list of several names saying you may not proceed unless you have a degree from one on the list. They might well have a list of favourites, but making it public or saying they won't even accept applications from people who didn't attend one sounds suspect to me. For a kick off, they're cutting off avenues here- a KCL law student would need AAA and is one of the best depts in the country, yet a recruiter isn't interested in their applications? I don't buy that. Secondly, thats only UK unis. Major graduate recruiters must be prepared to accept people from all over the world- are they saying TCD or even Harvard wouldn't be welcome? Again, I just don't believe it. Targetting or preferring certain places is one thing (of the 11 law schools in Scotland, 60% of partners of firms went to Glasgow or Edinburgh), but saying you cannot apply unless you went to a finite list (and a small one at that) of universities is something else.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough- I don't doubt you. What I do doubt is an online application with a list of several names saying you may not proceed unless you have a degree from one on the list. They might well have a list of favourites, but making it public or saying they won't even accept applications from people who didn't attend one sounds suspect to me. For a kick off, they're cutting off avenues here- a KCL law student would need AAA and is one of the best depts in the country, yet a recruiter isn't interested in their applications? I don't buy that. Secondly, thats only UK unis. Major graduate recruiters must be prepared to accept people from all over the world- are they saying TCD or even Harvard wouldn't be welcome? Again, I just don't believe it. Targetting or preferring certain places is one thing (of the 11 law schools in Scotland, 60% of partners of firms went to Glasgow or Edinburgh), but saying you cannot apply unless you went to a finite list (and a small one at that) of universities is something else.
    The guy is lying. 50% of graduates in investment banks are from europe and other places

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    The guy is lying. 50% of graduates in investment banks are from europe any other places
    I suspect so. EVS asked him further up the thread about it, and he can't remember the scheme apparently, but seems to be able to remember the list of universities clearly... Aye. Right. There is no way that an online application would discriminate so blatantly- what they might do is decide that applications from certain places are at the top of the pile (and preferences in certain sectors does exist), but even that I doubt- employers are interested in the best candidates, not collecting degrees from Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    1st from TVU

ReputationRep:
    I suspect so. EVS asked him further up the thread about it, and he can't remember the scheme apparently, but seems to be able to remember the list of universities clearly... Aye. Right. There is no way that an online application would discriminate so blatantly- what they might do is decide that applications from certain places are at the top of the pile (and preferences in certain sectors does exist), but even that I doubt- employers are interested in the best candidates, not collecting degrees from Oxbridge.
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    The guy is lying. 50% of graduates in investment banks are from europe and other places

I'm not interested in Invesment Banking so I don't have first-hand experience of applying for jobs in this sector. however, I have many friends who want to pursue careers in Investment Banking and this is what they have told me. One example of preference for graduates from top universities in this sector can be seen in the following:

One of my friends applied for a vacany at UBS and on the applcaiton form, where it asked for his university place it had a tick-box section whereby they asked which university did you attend with boxes for Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial, Durham, Bristol, Warwick, Edinburgh, York, St. Andrews, Kings College London. After these universities, it had a box for 'other universites'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    To have got into Cambridge you would have had pretty impressive A levels in the first place so you'd still have 3 A's to fall back on and apply to another Uni and do another degree/masters or something lol
    lol what masters would take you with a 3rd lol lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T. Hereford)
    I'm not interested in Invesment Banking so I don't have first-hand experience of applying for jobs in this sector. however, I have many friends who want to pursue careers in Investment Banking and this is what they have told me. One example of preference for graduates from top universities in this sector can be seen in the following:

One of my friends applied for a vacany at UBS and on the applcaiton form, where it asked for his university place it had a tick-box section whereby they asked which university did you attend with boxes for Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial, Durham, Bristol, Warwick, Edinburgh, York, St. Andrews, Kings College London. After these universities, it had a box for 'other universites'.
    Funny how such a large company with such a huge presence in America, headquarters in Switzerland, and taking on graduates of a city as international as London, are only interested in a dozen UK universities, and no one else, eh? And you did very well at remembering that list of universities too. :rolleyes:

One of my closest friends from my old course was taken on at Morgan Stanley in 2008, and there wasn't one mention of degree name there... why UBS AG and not them? If you've ever had any experience of graduate employment, you'd know its moving towards assessment centres which look at the skills of the graduate, not the degree. They know there's 40,000 firsts and 150,000 2:1s among the 300k graduates each year, and the average UCAS score of a university student is now over 300- picking the best becomes harder, not easier- so the money is being spent on testing lots of graduates quickly, and devaluing where you got your degree from. When I finish at Oxford, if I was to decide a graduate scheme was the way forward, and I was beaten in a test by a Trent graduate, so be it, it's up to the company to pick the best candidates to make them money, not to brag about how many Russell Group degrees they have.

ReputationRep:
    Funny how such a large company with such a huge presence in America, headquarters in Switzerland, and taking on graduates of a city as international as London, are only interested in a dozen UK universities, and no one else, eh? And you did very well at remembering that list of universities too. :rolleyes:

One of my closest friends from my old course was taken on at Morgan Stanley in 2008, and there wasn't one mention of degree name there... why UBS AG and not them? If you've ever had any experience of graduate employment, you'd know its moving towards assessment centres which look at the skills of the graduate, not the degree. They know there's 40,000 firsts and 150,000 2:1s among the 300k graduates each year, and the average UCAS score of a university student is now over 300- picking the best becomes harder, not easier- so the money is being spent on testing lots of graduates quickly, and devaluing where you got your degree from. When I finish at Oxford, if I was to decide a graduate scheme was the way forward, and I was beaten in a test by a Trent graduate, so be it, it's up to the company to pick the best candidates to make them money, not to brag about how many Russell Group degrees they have.
    Ok mate, if you don't believe me that's fair enough but this is what I've been told by friends.

ReputationRep:
    I went for Cambridge, but changed my mind now. If your struggling that much then you can't be that happy at Cambridge. And like someone said, employers are employing you, not your university.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.