Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which degree would you rather have? (Poll). Watch

• View Poll Results: Which degree would you rather have?
    A third from Cambridge.
    30.00%
    A 2:2 from the Uni of Nottingham.
    24.31%
    A 2:1 from Canterbury Christ Church.
    17.41%
    A first from Thames Valley.
    28.28%

ReputationRep:
    A 2:1 from Canterbury Christ Church. Thirds are useful for sod all, a 2.1 will get me onto a graduate program. I think 1st/2.1 doesn't make so much difference, so I'll go for the better uni. Of course this is assuming I just get given the thing. If I've got to spend three years in the uni getting it I'll go to Cambridge please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChosenOne)
    A third from Cambridge isn't going to get you far. Getting a third is very easy and is definitely NOT an acheivement to feel good about.
    Actually I have a good friend who has just got into medical school with a 3rd from Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge. The two subjects I researched in the most detail for UCAS were Medicine and English. I much preferred both of these courses at Cambridge (especially English) compared to Nottingham, Canterbury and TVU.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, I'd say 2:2 from Nottingham because it's decent enough all round. But Cambridge is amazing... :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    People who get thirds from Cambridge don't deserve to be there.
    Maybe not, but they are there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChosenOne)
    A third from Cambridge isn't going to get you far. Getting a third is very easy and is definitely NOT an acheivement to feel good about.
    I know a guy in third year NatSci at Cambridge who got mostly thirds in this year's papers. He's one of the cleverest people I know and he don't think he'd call getting a third in some of those papers "easy".

ReputationRep:
    What subject?

But probably a third from Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similiar position now. For Chemistry the times ranks Sheffield as sixth and Nottingham Trent at 23rd or something.

I hold an unconditional offer for MChem at Sheff as of today. My employer though at the moment, wants me to apply to study Chemistry part-time at Nottingham Trent, which they will fund whilst I work on day release.

Better Uni vs worse uni and money.

I can't answer the OP poll for the same reason I can't decide what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andylol)
    Employers are employing YOU and not your university.

So a first from TVU please.

yeah but it's probably easier to get a First at TVU than a First at Cambridge. (dunno about a third though lol)

ReputationRep:
    This is a hard one. Cambridge offers the most amazing maths degree IMO, but then again there's not point in going there if you're going to get a third. Hmm...

I really don't know!

Damn that takes the piss.

I would say: Cam, then Notts, then CC, the TVU.

But I say this for the experience etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becca2389)
    I know a guy in third year NatSci at Cambridge who got mostly thirds in this year's papers. He's one of the cleverest people I know and he don't think he'd call getting a third in some of those papers "easy".
    He's probably doing the wrong course then.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm not thinking about being employable, so the 3rd from Cambridge. Just for the time spent there.

ReputationRep:
    I remember someone saying to me 'There are only two classes of degree worth getting at Cambridge - a first, or a third. If you get a first, you've spent all your time studying, and will do well in life. If you get a third, then you've probably just had the best three years imaginable.'

So, that's what I'd go for.

ReputationRep:
    I imagine I'd have to do some subject I have no interest in at Canterbury or TVU, so in that respect I'd go for Nottingham or Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham, really good uni and a 2:2 is a decent grade. For those answering Cambridge, getting a Third suggests you are very bright and talented (to get in there in the first place) but have very little motivation, effort or it can be deduced something has gone VERY wrong in your study habits or personal life which would be noted by any potential employers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becca2389)
    Well you obviously don't know many clever people.

Don't misunderstand me, someone could be clever and get a third simply because they don't really care about their degree and don't work for it but to get a third having worked hard ... that's not clever.

ReputationRep:
    First from any uni owns!

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham, being my local uni :p: and the one I have an offer from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nebuduck)
    I remember someone saying to me 'There are only two classes of degree worth getting at Cambridge - a first, or a third. If you get a first, you've spent all your time studying, and will do well in life. If you get a third, then you've probably just had the best three years imaginable.'

So, that's what I'd go for.
    I think it was in Brideshead Revisited, but either a first or a fourth. There is no value in anything in between.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.