Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which degree would you rather have? (Poll). Watch

• View Poll Results: Which degree would you rather have?
    A third from Cambridge.
    30.00%
    A 2:2 from the Uni of Nottingham.
    24.31%
    A 2:1 from Canterbury Christ Church.
    17.41%
    A first from Thames Valley.
    28.28%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chigz32)
    First from any uni owns!
    Not from TVU really.. I highly doubt it's as hard to get a First there as it is at more "prestigious" universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Not from TVU really.. I highly doubt it's as hard to get a First there as it is at more "prestigious" universities.
    Ok you have a point, you get the grades etc to get into Cambridge/Notts, and true, it may not be as hard to get a first there, but if its in say, Law, getting a first there must be better then getting a 2nd from bottom pass from Oxbridge. It shows you've slipped up somewhere, rather then done the opposite

ReputationRep:
    Only on TSR!

ReputationRep:
    You must've have been pretty clever to have gotten into Cambridge but I personally wouldn't trade it with my 2:1 at De Montfort University and Ma Masters at the University of Nottingham..

ReputationRep:
    Wow, can't belive how equal the votes are!

I chose 2.ii at Notts because it is a fairly well known uni (especially for the area I'm interested in), I don't really think there's that much between a 2.i and a 2.ii to be honest and I don't think a third is very good.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge. If I'd actually got into Cambridge, it'd mean I have a lot of UCAS points. A lot can be done with a high amount of UCAS points.

Anyone who gets a third from Cambridge must be both intelligent and lazy.

ReputationRep:
    its mostly about the grades you get, not where you go. Its like saying what would you rather do

go to eton and get 4 D at A level or go to St Chav High and get 4 A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by academic.fail)
    its mostly about the grades you get, not where you go. Its like saying what would you rather do

The majority of TSR would probably go for the former, sadly enough. (Prestige is so much better than personal achievement, amirite guise? :rolleyes:)

LOL at the second school name though.

ReputationRep:
    1st from TVU - don't wanna go to cambridge (have no urge to try and make myself feel better than others) and would enjoy the challenge of gaining a 1st.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andylol)
    Employers are employing YOU and not your university.

So a first from TVU please.
    Yeah but if YOU chose to go to the worst uni in the country, doesn't say much about your talent..

ReputationRep:
    A 2:1or a First because I want to do a decent Post Grad.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    A third from Cambridge. At least you can still say "Oh yes and I went to Cambridge" and raise your eyebrow elegantly.
    A First from Thames Valley is worth little more than the certificate it's printed on.
    It's a first, so i'd say it's worth a fair bit more than the certificate it's printed on. :eyebrow:

Don't you sound stuck up and lovely :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melting Sugar.)
    It's a first, so i'd say it's worth a fair bit more than the certificate it's printed on. :eyebrow:

Don't you sound stuck up and lovely :awesome:

Yes, but from Thames Valley? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcEmAn911)
    You must've have been pretty clever to have gotten into Cambridge but I personally wouldn't trade it with my 2:1 at De Montfort University and Ma Masters at the University of Nottingham..
    did you get a high 2.1? did you have good a-levels and gcses?

ReputationRep:
    Notts. because it is a superb uni.

ReputationRep:
    Is that snobbery creeping in? :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

Only would deluded, prestige-obsessed TSRians opt for a third from Cambridge.

You're in for a shock.

ReputationRep:
    :naughty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by academic.fail)

No it's not the same at all.

Grades at A Level are awarded by the exam board. Uni classes are awarded by the University. BIG difference there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.