Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which degree would you rather have? (Poll). Watch

• View Poll Results: Which degree would you rather have?
    A third from Cambridge.
    30.00%
    A 2:2 from the Uni of Nottingham.
    24.31%
    A 2:1 from Canterbury Christ Church.
    17.41%
    A first from Thames Valley.
    28.28%

ReputationRep:
    The first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    Yes, but from Thames Valley? :lolwut:
    Remove your ignorant head from your anus.

ReputationRep:
    Am I being really dense here, since loads of people are saying the First... Surely it's a fair bit easier to get a First at Thames Valley (since, no offence, the average student won't be very bright) than at other universities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    No it's not the same at all.

Grades at A Level are awarded by the exam board. Uni classes are awarded by the University. BIG difference there.

so mr... what qualifications do you have...

I have a first in biochemistry

so mr... what qulaifications do you have...

I have a third in biochemistry

first sounds better to me still sorry.

ReputationRep:
    I voted for the 2:1 from Canterbury Christ Church. My reasons being - I've heard a lot of bad things about TVU on TSR reguarding teaching quality and student satisfaction (although it could just be TSR snobbery, because I've not personally looked into TVU). Also, Canterbury Christ Church is a decent university and 2.1 is a good grade.

Basically, I think overall grade is the most important thing, but I'd still want to go to a half decent university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King4eva)
    did you get a high 2.1? did you have good a-levels and gcses?
    Nope I got 61% so I just barely got it! But a 2:1 is a 2:1 eh?

No I did terrible in my GCSE's and A-Levels..

GCSE's: BCCDDDDDU
    A-Levels: CCDE

But I managed to climb my way towards the top and somehow ended up at the University of Nottingham..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by academic.fail)

Well yes, when you put it that way. In the same way "I have degree from Cambridge" sounds better than "I have degree from TVU".

Personally, I'd take the 2:2 from Nottingham.

I believe the "better" unis will make it harder to get a First anyway. Cos surely classes are measured against the average student?

ReputationRep:
    A third from Cambridge or a 2:2 from Nottingham. No point going to either of the others, and it's not like a first from Thames Valley is anywhere near equivalent to a first from Cambridge.

ReputationRep:

There is a huge difference between Cambridge and Thames Valley. Any degree from Camb looks better than one from TVU.

ReputationRep:
    **** these pathetic little threads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diamond Diva)
    Remove your ignorant head from your anus.
    I'm not being snobbish, elitist or 'ignorant'. A degree from Cambridge outstrips that from Thames Valley, third or otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    There is a huge difference between Cambridge and Thames Valley. Any degree from Camb looks better than one from TVU.
    A degree from Cambridge outstrips that from Thames Valley, third or otherwise.
    What qualifies you to make such juvenile statements, masqueraded as fact? Have you worked in recruitment for several years? Have you taught at several universities? It appears that you have yet to even complete your A-levels. :rolleyes:

Take your deluded, misinformed tripe elsewhere. Some people simply cannot look beyond the tunnel vision of university elitism, and those people will receive a massive shock when they enter the real world.

ReputationRep:
    dunno 3rd from cambridge i guess :p:

ReputationRep:

well if iwas an employer i would see the third as a sign of lazyness while seeing the first as a sign of dedication and hard work. its no use having an incredibly academic smart person who does **** all when there is still someone who is clearlly above average in academic levels while still having high levels of committment.

I think some of you people are going to be in for a shcok when you enter the real world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diamond Diva)
    What qualifies you to make such juvenile statements, masqueraded as fact? Have you worked in recruitment for several years? Have you taught at several universities? From the looks of things, you have yet to even complete your A-levels. :rolleyes:

Take your deluded, misinformed tripe elsewhere. Some people simply cannot look beyond the tunnel vision of university elitism, and those people will receive a massive shock when they enter the real world.

exactly the point I am trying to make thank you very much + rep for you!

ReputationRep:
    well if iwas an employer i would see the third as a sign of lazyness while seeing the first as a sign of dedication and hard work. its no use having an incredibly academic smart person who does **** all when there is still someone who is clearlly above average in academic levels while still having high levels of committment.

I think some of you people are going to be in for a shcok when you enter the real world.
    Not really. I know people who have gotten a 1st from a "poor" university, and people who have gotten a 2:1 from cambridge. The Cambridge ones are vastly more intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    If it were free, a third from Cambridge. Then I'd go get a proper degree from somewhere else and have 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    **** these pathetic little threads.
    It was only to gauge how TSR valued different universities. I take it I offended you; sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Not really. I know people who have gotten a 1st from a "poor" university, and people who have gotten a 2:1 from cambridge. The Cambridge ones are vastly more intelligent.

umm theres a bit of a difference between a third and a 2:1

its not as if a 2:1 is a bad degree... again a lack of idea of what the real world is like.

I use tesco as an example. Tesco have realised that qualifications do not necessarily make a good worker so they have scrapped qualifications. instead they have put inot place a series of questions that require thinking and common sense. This isnt just the case for "shelf stackers" this is the case for senior management also.

(I know this as I did work experience a while back in management with tesco) SOme of the people there were not academically bright but bloody hell they were productive and got the job done, thats what opened my eyes to the real world as diva said previously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcEmAn911)
    Nope I got 61% so I just barely got it! But a 2:1 is a 2:1 eh?

No I did terrible in my GCSE's and A-Levels..

GCSE's: BCCDDDDDU
    A-Levels: CCDE

But I managed to climb my way towards the top and somehow ended up at the University of Nottingham..
    well done. Good luck with the future.
    Im planning to apply to Nottingham next year, i hope i get a 2.1

I actually have a friend who goes to de monfort and she loves it !!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.