Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which degree would you rather have? (Poll). Watch

• View Poll Results: Which degree would you rather have?
    A third from Cambridge.
    30.00%
    A 2:2 from the Uni of Nottingham.
    24.31%
    A 2:1 from Canterbury Christ Church.
    17.41%
    A first from Thames Valley.
    28.28%

ReputationRep:
    3rd from cambridge..as my dad says (he employs quite a few people) ..mostly doesnt care about the class but when you see oxbridge on the cv that cuts some ice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnator)
    3rd from cambridge..as my dad says (he employs quite a few people) ..mostly doesnt care about the class but when you see oxbridge on the cv that cuts some ice
    He's quite a negligent manager if he employs someone who has practically failed their degree and ruined an excellent opportunity, purely in regards to the brand of university over a person who has clearly put a lot of effort in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diamond Diva)
    He's quite a negligent manager if he employs someone who has practically failed their degree and ruined an excellent opportunity, purely in regards to the brand of university over a person who has clearly put a lot of effort in.
    Why do you assume getting a first from TVU requires a lot of effort? I'm not saying it DOESN'T require effort, but it won't be as much effort needed as getting a good degree from "better" universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by academic.fail)

I use tesco as an example. Tesco have realised that qualifications do not necessarily make a good worker so they have scrapped qualifications. instead they have put inot place a series of questions that require thinking and common sense. This isnt just the case for "shelf stackers" this is the case for senior management also.

(I know this as I did work experience a while back in management with tesco) SOme of the people there were not academically bright but bloody hell they were productive and got the job done, thats what opened my eyes to the real world as diva said previously.
    Yes but this only applies to the case of the Cambridge third if the person got a third BECAUSE of their laziness, and not because they hated their degree, weren't allowed to change, and so did the bare minimum for three years and partied the whole time. I maintain that a person with a third could still be a productive person who worked hard in the things that s/he cared about.

Just in case it matters, I have no idea what I would choose. Depends on whether I actually had to go to the university.

ReputationRep:
    well...I didnt say he would employ you just because you have a degree from oxbridge, but he says it impresses on your cv and its a 'foot in the door'...whether or not your the right person for the job in the end is how you get the job, and his employers don't seem to share your idea that he is negligent..but what do they know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Why do you assume getting a first from TVU requires a lot of effort? I'm not saying it DOESN'T require effort, but it won't be as much effort needed as getting a good degree from "better" universities.
    I think (think!) we might just be in agreement on something ...

ReputationRep:
    The first, cause I wouldn't feel proud getting a 2:2 or a 3rd and I don't really see a massive difference between TVU and CCC

Ccu.

Thats a nice poll OP, mixed results so far...

Me? I would take the 2:2 from nottingham or maybe third from cambridge. It also depends on the course

ReputationRep:
    Canterbury, cause I've got mates there ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Who is in dispute in regards to this? I doubt anybody would compare a 'good' degree (I assume you are referring to a first or a high 2:1) from Cambridge, Oxford or LSE to a 'good' degree from TVU, in terms of difficulty.

The plain fact is, there is a significant difference between a first at TVU and a third at Cambridge. Even if the difficulty is negligible (which I doubt), such results clearly demonstrate the individual mentality of each student, and I would argue that the TVU first is much more attractive to employers.

ReputationRep:
    nottingham. purely b/c i like it there.
    its not fair to go to cambridge and then get a third when there are people going to other good unis getting firsts who could have done just as well at cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    What qualifies you to make such juvenile statements, masqueraded as fact? Have you worked in recruitment for several years? Have you taught at several universities? It appears that you have yet to even complete your A-levels. :rolleyes:

Take your deluded, misinformed tripe elsewhere. Some people simply cannot look beyond the tunnel vision of university elitism, and those people will receive a massive shock when they enter the real world.
    Well said.

ReputationRep:
    notts

2:2 from Nottingham; I'd feel like an utter moron if I'd managed to get to Cambridge but only got a third.

And I wouldn't want to either of the remaining universities...so a 2:2 from Notts is passable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Katie*)
    Yes but this only applies to the case of the Cambridge third if the person got a third BECAUSE of their laziness, and not because they hated their degree, weren't allowed to change, and so did the bare minimum for three years and partied the whole time. I maintain that a person with a third could still be a productive person who worked hard in the things that s/he cared about.

Just in case it matters, I have no idea what I would choose. Depends on whether I actually had to go to the university.

but how will the university know that that is the reason they got a third... they dont but they do know that the person who got a first is not lazy, once again validating my point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tippytoes91)
    nottingham. purely b/c i like it there.
    its not fair to go to cambridge and then get a third when there are people going to other good unis getting firsts who could have done just as well at cambridge.
    How's it not fair? It's completely fair; clearly they were the more able applicant so they deserved to get in. I don't see how there is any injustice in that. At the end of the day a 1st from Durham or Cambridge isn't going to make the world of difference.

ReputationRep:
    A first from Thames without even thinking twice. Getting into Cambridge as an undergraduate shows you got good grades in exams aimed at 11-18 years olds (children). Getting a first from any university shows that you're capable of studying at an advanced and adult level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by academic.fail)
    but how will the university know that that is the reason they got a third... they dont but they do know that the person who got a first is not lazy, once again validating my point.
    It's possible they could have been lazy and got a first. There's no rule which states you must work hard to get a first. It's just GENERALLY true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel4fun4u)
    A first from Thames without even thinking twice. Getting into Cambridge as an undergraduate shows you got good grades in exams aimed at 11-18 years olds (children). Getting a first from any university shows that you're capable of studying at an advanced and adult level.
    That assumes it is equally difficult to get a First at all universities.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.