Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which degree would you rather have? (Poll). Watch

• View Poll Results: Which degree would you rather have?
    A third from Cambridge.
    30.00%
    A 2:2 from the Uni of Nottingham.
    24.31%
    A 2:1 from Canterbury Christ Church.
    17.41%
    A first from Thames Valley.
    28.28%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    That assumes it is equally difficult to get a First at all universities.

believe me, it will take a lot more hard work to get a first from TVU than a third from cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    A lower second from Nottingham. A third is a third, even if it's from Oxbridge - sure, the name catches the interviewer's eye, but the classification brings it back down to earth. Surely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by academic.fail)
    believe me, it will take a lot more hard work to get a first from TVU than a third from cambridge.
    yeah I think you're right.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm at Nottingham and have had a disaster of a second year (so much so that it's going to carry over into third year and I won't graduate with my friends ) and think I'll be lucky to end up with a 2:2, so that's what I picked! :yy:

ReputationRep:
    That assumes it is equally difficult to get a First at all universities.
    Take a look at post graduate degrees from universities like Warwick and LSE. You'll notice that they usually ask for a 2.1 degree or better. You'll also notice they don't ask from where.

I was reading a thread on here not too long ago of a chap who has no A levels achieved a first from Westminster university. He then went on to do a Masters degree at LSE. Obviously LSE considered the degree to be worthwhile.

Not arguing, just suggesting things worth thinking about.

ReputationRep:
    lol at the ppl who choose 3rd from Cambridge.
    IF you chose for the networking reasons and personal development good for you.
    If you chose becuase its 'Cambridge', your a joke and have no idea what real life holds...

1st Class from TVU please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel4fun4u)
    Take a look at post graduate degrees from universities like Warwick and LSE. You'll notice that they usually ask for a 2.1 degree or better. You'll also notice they don't ask from where.

I was reading a thread on here not too long ago of a chap who has no A levels achieved a first from Westminster university. He then went on to do a Masters degree at LSE.

Not arguing, just suggesting things worth thinking about.
    Yeah true. I agree a 3rd from Cam is probably worse than TVU 1st, since the 3rd makes it look as if you've failed. However I'd say Cambridge II.i is much better than a TVU 1st.

ReputationRep:
    anything other than Canterbury Christ Church! IMO it's a glorified college which after the planned cutbacks this year will become more of a glorified school with HE courses!

ReputationRep:
    well its not 'not fair' as such, but say there were 2 students with identical grades and what not, and only 1 got into Cambridge, and the other one went to an equally good school like durham (which was not mentioned, the highest university i the league table mentioned is nottingham) and they got a first, and the student who went to cambridge got a third. it just seems to me almost unfair on the other student.

but at the end of the day, a first SHOULD be a first, no matter where you get it from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    Wow, can't belive how equal the votes are!

I chose 2.ii at Notts because it is a fairly well known uni (especially for the area I'm interested in), I don't really think there's that much between a 2.i and a 2.ii to be honest and I don't think a third is very good.
    oh dear...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tippytoes91)
    well its not 'not fair' as such, but say there were 2 students with identical grades and what not, and only 1 got into Cambridge, and the other one went to an equally good school like durham (which was not mentioned, the highest university i the league table mentioned is nottingham) and they got a first, and the student who went to cambridge got a third. it just seems to me almost unfair on the other student.

but at the end of the day, a first SHOULD be a first, no matter where you get it from.
    Maybe it SHOULD be, but there's no way it works out like that.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it SHOULD be, but there's no way it works out like that.
    exactly.

ReputationRep:
    yeah I think you're right.

At last i have made sense to at least one person intelligent enough to realise that being elitist isnt going to get you anywhere in the real world!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah true. I agree a 3rd from Cam is probably worse than TVU 1st, since the 3rd makes it look as if you've failed. However I'd say Cambridge II.i is much better than a TVU 1st.
    Things just are not this simple in life. A 3rd or 2.2, however you look at it, is not a very impressive result. You'll struggle to impress employers for graduate schemes and you'll struggle to get onto any post graduate courses at many universities.

Even the Cambridge brand name won't save you if you have underachieved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by academic.fail)
    At last i have made sense to at least one person intelligent enough to realise that being elitist isnt going to get you anywhere in the real world!
    well I don't know how much I agree with you.

TVU 1st is probs better than Cambridge 3rd.

But IMO a 2:1 from Cambridge is far better than TVU First.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel4fun4u)
    Things just are not this simple in life. A 3rd or 2.2, however you look at it, is not a very impressive result. You'll struggle to impress employers for graduate schemes and you'll struggle to get onto any post graduate courses at many universities.

Even the Cambridge brand name won't save you if you have underachieved.
    But surely degree classes are calculated by using the average mark in your year at Uni? Therefore, at cambridge you have a MUCH harder job of being above average. Whereas, if someone Cambridge-standard (I hate the term but you get the point) went to TVU, they would probably easily be above average there.

ReputationRep:
    A third from Cambridge? Does that even exist? I always thought that Oxbridge make u work like dogs so that they know for sure that u will atleast get a 2nd as they have to keep up their reputation.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, but the statements being made on this thread that a third-class degree from Cambridge is to be going superior to higher degree classes from elsewhere is just plain untrue.

I very rarely post on these forums and I'm really only a reader and I try to ignore the tripe posted by snobs on here. And the posters that claim 'my dad/uncle, or whoever is an employer and says that they would take the lesser class of degree for a more prestigous institution' is frankly not a real reflection of what employers look for.

As many of the more rational posters have stated, your eligibility for a job is so much more than just the degree you studied, let alone where you did it. Obviously a student forum is bound to have academic emphasis, but your experiences, personality and other skills all carry so much weight.

Relating to this poll, the student who gained a 1st from Thames Valley University would have worked hard for that award, and entry requirements do greatly vary between TVU and Cambridge. But some people only begin to discover their potential, aptitude for learning when at university, and are better suited to that system of education.

Also, it is highly likely a student who has gained a first, no matter where from, would be conscious of other requirements and gained other work experiences which would make them an overall very competitive applicant.

If I use Iceman as an example (hope you don't mind), although secondary level education is below-par, his degree level work is of a good standard, I certainly know who I would choose between Iceman who is on an upward trend in education than someone with a 3rd from Cambridge.

1st from TVU. Id rather have a 2.1 from Cambridge than a 1st from TVU though.

ReputationRep:
    well I don't know how much I agree with you.

TVU 1st is probs better than Cambridge 3rd.

But IMO a 2:1 from Cambridge is far better than TVU First.

I agree, but thats not an option now is it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.