Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which degree would you rather have? (Poll). Watch

• View Poll Results: Which degree would you rather have?
    A third from Cambridge.
    30.00%
    A 2:2 from the Uni of Nottingham.
    24.31%
    A 2:1 from Canterbury Christ Church.
    17.41%
    A first from Thames Valley.
    28.28%

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Got to be Cambridge or Nottingham because the other two don't offer economics. :p:

Out of the two, it's a tricky one. I wouldn't want either class of degree, but I'd probably say Cambridge, because I could say 'I've got a degree from Cambridge' :yep: Besides, Carol Vorderman got a third from Cambridge, and it's not hindered her much.
    Also, I'd say Cambridge because it's an amazing place, and would be a good experience being there. You'd also have really good A-level grades to even get in.

However with about 3 per cent of Cambridge finalists each year getting a third, it'd be embarrassing, although you'd probably have a reason for it, such as illness (or just being incredibly lazy :naughty:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    But surely degree classes are calculated by using the average mark in your year at Uni? Therefore, at cambridge you have a MUCH harder job of being above average. Whereas, if someone Cambridge-standard (I hate the term but you get the point) went to TVU, they would probably easily be above average there.
    I understand what you're saying, but it doesn't work that way.

Undoubtedly, the average student at Cambridge will have shown great achievement prior to University. Also, the IQ (if you value such a measure) is going to higher for the average chap at Cambridge than Thames.

None of that matters if you achieve a 3rd.

Employers don't want to see an underachiever and neither does any other university if you're applying for a post graduate course. Employers and Universities want people who are achieving now.

The bottom line is that wherever you go, get a 2.1 or better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by academic.fail)
    but how will the university know that that is the reason they got a third... they dont but they do know that the person who got a first is not lazy, once again validating my point.
    Well not if you factor in the very simple and obvious point that you were making with your tesco example...that they focussed on the person at hand, and not their academic prowess.
    In ordinary job applications, it would not be far-fetched to assume that a good interview and assessment could make up for a poor degree classification. And let's not forget that you could, with top GCSEs and Alevels argue that you had a bit of a blip but that you're fine now. I'm not even trying to present reasons to go for Cambridge, but rather to make the point that the "real world" isn't as simple as first = job and third = unemployable.

I agree with whoever made the point that Cambridge probably wouldn't let you stay if you had gotten a third in the first and second year, but this is just a guess on the basis of Oxford's attitude to underachievement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Katie*)
    Well not if you factor in the very simple and obvious point that you were making with your tesco example...that they focussed on the person at hand, and not their academic prowess.
    In ordinary job applications, it would not be far-fetched to assume that a good interview and assessment could make up for a poor degree classification. And let's not forget that you could, with top GCSEs and Alevels argue that you had a bit of a blip but that you're fine now. I'm not even trying to present reasons to go for Cambridge, but rather to make the point that the "real world" isn't as simple as first = job and third = unemployable.

I agree with whoever made the point that Cambridge probably wouldn't let you stay if you had gotten a third in the first and second year, but this is just a guess on the basis of Oxford's attitude to underachievement.
    and if you look at my previosu posts that exactly the point that i have been trying to make- eg tesco example.

ReputationRep:
    it's amazing that some people here think that two people applying for the same job, one with 2:1 from cambridge, and another with a 2:1 from somewhere like RGU will have their qualifications judged equally!

degrees aren't a-levels! they aren't public exams graded centrally!

additionally,

1. having gotten in to oxbridge you will have an excellent background and most likely be very diverse in your non-academic interests... something else employers want.

2. having attended oxbridge you will have had a far more rigourous and diverse educational experience - especially with the tutorial system.

when i was helping my sister apply for jobs back in november she was signing up with a major uk graduate recruiter for the online tests etc and after clicking through the initial screens she was confronted with a page that said:

"You must have at least a 2:1 from one of the following universities:

Oxford
    Cambridge
    St Andrews
    Warwick
    LSE
    UCL
    Edinburgh
    Imperial
    Durham
    York

If not, you may not proceed with this application"

... she got a 2:1 at manchester and was gutted.

why do you think that employers ask for UCAS point scores now? they ask because of grade inflations at crap universities that hand out 2:1s like there's no tomorrow. if you're going to a bottom third univeristy, you most likely did poorly at a-level and a prospective graduate employer (like BAE) will see this when you enter your UCAS tariff. despite the devalution of alevels theyre still the only nationally graded and weighted exams in the uk. degree classifications should be marked "indicative of performance only."

if it were the case that, say, all politics degrees are equal, why would anyone bother exerting themselves and striving for the likes of the unis mentioned above? why would they strive to get the best a-level results they can to get into the best universities? the rational thing to do (and surely any super smart student would know this) would be to go to a sit-off uni like liverpool hope, have a blast do the bare minimum and walk out ready to snap up that £40k job in the city --- rather than sweating in the bodleian at 9pm on a thursday to write your 4th essay of the week.

of course, the "all 2:1s are the same argument" is the all to frequent protest of those who went to medicore institutions.

peace

ReputationRep:
    I chose the 2:1. I can't believe so many people chose the Cambridge option I mean a third will get you nowhere regardless of University reputation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    A third from Cambridge. At least you can still say "Oh yes and I went to Cambridge" and raise your eyebrow elegantly.
    A First from Thames Valley is worth little more than the certificate it's printed on.
    Once again another `wise` reply from olivialightbulb! Howvery charming you are!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by academic.fail)
    and if you look at my previosu posts that exactly the point that i have been trying to make- eg tesco example.
    Yes but you conclude from it the exact opposite. Having a first/third need not mean you are more/less hardworking. It may not actually say much about you at all.

(Original post by ToneUK)
    I very rarely post on these forums and I'm really only a reader and I try to ignore the tripe posted by snobs on here. And the posters that claim 'my dad/uncle, or whoever is an employer and says that they would take the lesser class of degree for a more prestigous institution' is frankly not a real reflection of what employers look for.

As many of the more rational posters have stated, your eligibility for a job is so much more than just the degree you studied, let alone where you did it. Obviously a student forum is bound to have academic emphasis, but your experiences, personality and other skills all carry so much weight.

Relating to this poll, the student who gained a 1st from Thames Valley University would have worked hard for that award, and entry requirements do greatly vary between TVU and Cambridge. But some people only begin to discover their potential, aptitude for learning when at university, and are better suited to that system of education.
    Maybe I am just a lot more cynical about exam systems, but I really think there is some misunderstanding about what it takes to get a first. The person from TVU may not have worked hard for the first, because they may have just been very good at their subject, if not at A-levels etc. (or may not have worked for Alevels etc.).

And as to your point about personality, again I think there is some misunderstanding about what it takes to get a third. In some subjects, arts subjects in particular, I imagine it is in fact very difficult to get a third without considerable disregard/laziness/crack. But with a subject like maths, I know someone who got in to do maths at oxford without having done further maths and struggled horrendously only to get a third in first year exams. Why think it is impossible that someone may not be able to do any better than a third through discovering a lack of aptitude in their chosen university subject?

I think the problem with this is that we are all using different criteria to measure what option is "best" and have entirely different senses of what it means about the person who achieved a particular degree classification.

ReputationRep:
    Well seeing as Thames Valley doesn't do History I'll take the 2:1 from Canterbury.

Although, to be fair, if I didn't want to go onto to do a Masters I would chose Cambridge or Canterbury purely because 3 years living in either Nottingham or Slough/London would kill me. (I picked my university by where I thought I could cope living for 3 years and then by degree course.)

Actually, heck I would the Cambridge degree. Because if in dream land I could get into Cambridge for undergrad, then I would be doing Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic. I've kinda wanted to learn Old Norse and Old English for oooooo 5 or 6 years now? I really don't give a **** about job prospects, I'm not going to university for that, I'm going to be able to get the opportunity to study the subjects I want to learn NOT what the government has dictated to me: Must learn about the Nazis. Must learn about the Nazis. NO! You cannot study any other period of history! How dare you even think that?! You must study the Nazis!!! :fuhrer:

Although... if I get the 2:1 in History from Canterbury then I might be able to get onto the afflicted BA at Cambridge (my current plan but hopefully with a first from Bangor). So I don't know. My plan is to stay in university until they kick me out into the real world then I think about what job I want. Hopefully that won't be for many years yet

ReputationRep:
    I chose 2:2 from Nottingham, but would choose a 2:1 from a lower ranked University, but I personally don't really think Canterbury Christ Church is better than Thames Valley, it's not an equal spacing between Nottingham and Thames Valley. I would have a 2:1 from Portsmouth/Plymouth/Keele or whatever if that was an option.

ReputationRep:
    I wish Cambridge still handed out fourths... now that was a proper degree classification!

Now, Cambridge basically only gives out thirds to people who have REALLY screwed up their exams, so I would agree that a 3rd from Cambridge is less good than a 1st from anywhere else - however, I'm not convinced that a high 2.2 from Cambridge, for example, is necessarily worse than a high 2.1 or low 1st from other unis. I'm basing this mainly on comparing people I know at Cambridge who got 2.2s, and other people at other universities who got firsts.

In addition, just go and look at an exam paper for your subject from Thames Valley (if Thames Valley publishes them online - if not, find some other similar university which does - may be easier said than done) and compare to one from Cambridge. Then comment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annaconda)
    third from cambridge. my dad went to cambridge and got a 3rd so it would be carrying on the tradition. plus all the general public care about is where you went, not your degree class.
    not that it matters to me, vet degrees arent ranked in that way
    who the hell negged me for saying this? and why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annaconda)
    who the hell negged me for saying this? and why?
    Presumably someone who is on track to getting a First from TVU :p:

ReputationRep:
    A first from Thames Valley.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I'm very surprised at the amount of people voting for a 3rd at Cambridge. Unless their reasoning is based on the experience of being there or something like that, a 3rd from anywhere is as good as useless, whereas a 1st from anywhere would make you very employable.

ReputationRep:
    A first surely?

ReputationRep:
    the employer was a big recruitment company. i dont know which right now but i can find out.

Agreed ref GCSEs and admission.

I think that the difference between institutions work in bands... the top unis are all very close in quality, as are all the middle ones, and all the poor ones. there is MASSIVE difference from top to bottom though. i've attended two top 10 unis and doing teaching posts at three more. one of these three is in the bottom ten according to the league tables. the standard of basic arithmetic and grammar was appalling. no one in the class had more than two alevels and the highest grade was a D. i was speaking another girl there over lunch one day and she produly informed me that she'd gotten into to legal studies with a single D at alevel.

quite the gulf.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChosenOne)
    Well you obviously don't know many clever people.

Don't misunderstand me, someone could be clever and get a third simply because they don't really care about their degree and don't work for it but to get a third having worked hard ... that's not clever.
    No offence but that's just rude. I'll be the judge of that and not you.

I've seen the results of my best friend's year (also NatSci). There's a much higher percentage of ordinaries, thirds and 2:2s than you might expect. Maybe those years are lazy, maybe it's because it isn't finals year, maybe they're stupid or maybe Cambridge is just hard.

ReputationRep:
    a first is a first yeah?
    If you say you got a first, wouldnt that just mean you have dicked the course? so doesnt matter were you went if you can **** the courses

ReputationRep:
    a first obviously.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.