Turn on thread page Beta

Which degree would you rather have? (Poll). watch

• View Poll Results: Which degree would you rather have?
    A third from Cambridge.
    30.00%
    A 2:2 from the Uni of Nottingham.
    24.31%
    A 2:1 from Canterbury Christ Church.
    17.41%
    A first from Thames Valley.
    28.28%

ReputationRep:
    It's between TVU and CC, but I'll have to go with the first from TVU.

Getting a third from Cambridge proves you worked hard at GCSE/A-level, then took a step back to get a third. To go to TVU, perhaps you did badly in your A-levels (not in all cases I stress!), but stepped it up to get a first at university. I'd rather be seen to be improving constantly than be going backwards, thus would take the first from TVU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    A third from Cambridge. At least you can still say "Oh yes and I went to Cambridge" and raise your eyebrow elegantly.
    A First from Thames Valley is worth little more than the certificate it's printed on.
    I wouldn't be impressed with someone who went to Cambridge (if you study hard you will get an offer) - if someone graduated from Cambridge with a first, then I would be impressed.

First from TVU is more impressive; it shows you didn't peak at AS-levels.

However, I can't really imagine Cambridge people getting a 3rd as a 3rd means you have failed and is not worth anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annaconda)
    third from cambridge. my dad went to cambridge and got a 3rd so it would be carrying on the tradition. plus all the general public care about is where you went, not your degree class.
    not that it matters to me, vet degrees arent ranked in that way
    ok, since ive recieved quite a bit of neg rep for this, i feel i should clarify what i meant - i wasnt talking about employers, but if youa re talking to random people and they ask what uni you went to, say you went to cambridge and you sound clever, say you went to thames valley and you sound a bit thick, they wont ask about your degree class.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to be too controversial, but it's worth bearing in mind that the workload at Cambridge is probably about 5-10x higher than somewhere like TVU. There's a perception that Cambridge students work a lot harder than students at most Russell group unis as well. I have friends from school who were in the top 5 of our year group but came out with 2:2s and 3rds from Cambs, not because they were complete slackers but because they wanted to have a life as well as work. They would have fitted right in at most Russell group unis and probably come out with a 2:1. I realise that people who haven't studied at Cambridge are not likely to believe me, but that's my 2 cents.

In terms of the poll options, none of them are likely to get you very far in a competitive job market. I guess a 2:2 from Nottingham might be looked on more favourably than a 3rd from Cambridge, but I don't know. A 1st from TVU is only as good as a 2:1/2:2 from a Russell group uni imo, but at least you can say you made the most of your opportunities, so I guess that wins.

Awaits neg rep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illy123)
    I wouldn't be impressed with someone who went to Cambridge (if you study hard you will get an offer) - if someone graduated from Cambridge with a first, then I would be impressed.

However, I can't really imagine Cambridge people getting a 3rd as a 3rd means you have failed and is not worth anything.
    On the contrary, from my experience quite a few Cambridge people get 3rds and 2:2s. The proportions are lower than at other unis but still significant. If I find the figures I will post them.

ReputationRep:
    That's a good question.. Iwould never want anything less than a 2:1 though, even from a really good uni.

However, in termsof talking about it with people, probs best to be able to say "I went to Cambridge"and not want to say your result than say "I got a 2:1" and not want to admit your uni!

1st from TVU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gummers)
    a first is a first yeah?
    If you say you got a first, wouldnt that just mean you have dicked the course? so doesnt matter were you went if you can **** the courses
    Firsts from different universities are not always considered equally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sTe\/o)
    On the contrary, from my experience quite a few Cambridge people get 3rds and 2:2s. The proportions are lower than at other unis but still significant. If I find the figures I will post them.
    That is quite surprising. Is this just Cambridge? Or are Oxford, UCL, Warwick also included?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Firsts from different universities are not always considered equally.

Arhh right thanks dude :-)

I didnt know that *face palm* lol

ReputationRep:
    I would choose the 2:1 from Canterbury.

ReputationRep:
    A third from Cambridge lmao :awesome:

i remember in year 10, our school wanted to motivate everyone into going to university and they took us on a trip to Thames Valley :lolwut:
    never before have i felt my intelligence be insulted so much. the student showing us round was doing a silly degree like food analysing or rodent studies and she didn't pass not one gcse.
    sigh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Katie*)
    Yes but you conclude from it the exact opposite. Having a first/third need not mean you are more/less hardworking. It may not actually say much about you at all.

Maybe I am just a lot more cynical about exam systems, but I really think there is some misunderstanding about what it takes to get a first. The person from TVU may not have worked hard for the first, because they may have just been very good at their subject, if not at A-levels etc. (or may not have worked for Alevels etc.).

And as to your point about personality, again I think there is some misunderstanding about what it takes to get a third. In some subjects, arts subjects in particular, I imagine it is in fact very difficult to get a third without considerable disregard/laziness/crack. But with a subject like maths, I know someone who got in to do maths at oxford without having done further maths and struggled horrendously only to get a third in first year exams. Why think it is impossible that someone may not be able to do any better than a third through discovering a lack of aptitude in their chosen university subject?

I think the problem with this is that we are all using different criteria to measure what option is "best" and have entirely different senses of what it means about the person who achieved a particular degree classification.

i think you have misunderstood, i had two arguments going on at the same time. One person was saying that you could get a first from TVU without trying and another was saying that you were more likely to get a job with a third and iwas simply stating that they have very little clue about the real world.

Read a little, learn a lot... yeah

ReputationRep:
    That is quite surprising. Is this just Cambridge? Or are Oxford, UCL, Warwick also included?
    I only have experience of Cambridge at undergrad level, but I'd say it probably applies to all of them. I remember thinking that the % of different classes was similar for Oxford and Cambridge when I looked at one of the newspaper league tables, although Oxford tend to award slightly more 1sts and 2:1s (grade inflation :rolleyes:).

ReputationRep:
    1:1 at any uni in the top 20 would do nicely for me.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I would have to sat Nottingham because a 2:2 is still a reputable degree, and there's always the possibility of postgraduate study whereas CCC don't offer my course and TVU.... just no!

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge. Degree class aside, that's the only uni I'd be happy to spend 3 years of my life, out of those options.

ReputationRep:

just because you hate cambridge for no reason as you chose to go to lse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8 is enough)
    just because you hate cambridge for no reason as you chose to go to lse
    If Cambridge was replaced with LSE, Oxford, Imperial I would still chose the 1st at TVU. I don't hate it infact I think I might have made the wrong choice but that is another matter.

Edit: Sorry if I come across like that, I believe Cambridge is probably the best university in the world for undergraduate study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc101)
    A third from Cambridge or a 2:2 from Nottingham. No point going to either of the others, and it's not like a first from Thames Valley is anywhere near equivalent to a first from Cambridge.
    lmao! i couldnt stop laughing at your arrogance, its sad how you think other unis may be better, which uni do u go to may i ask? seen as ur so egotastic :rolleyes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 24, 2009
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.