Turn on thread page Beta

Which degree would you rather have? (Poll). watch

• View Poll Results: Which degree would you rather have?
    A third from Cambridge.
    30.00%
    A 2:2 from the Uni of Nottingham.
    24.31%
    A 2:1 from Canterbury Christ Church.
    17.41%
    A first from Thames Valley.
    28.28%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lnwn)
    lmao! i couldnt stop laughing at your arrogance, its sad how you think other unis may be better, which uni do u go to may i ask? seen as ur so egotastic :rolleyes:

Yeah TVU is just as good as Cambridge. :rolleyes:

There's being elitist, and then there's being realistic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Yeah TVU is just as good as Cambridge. :rolleyes:

There's being elitist, and then there's being realistic.
    Do you go to cambridge? if not then sthu, do you go to oxford? no? then sthu as well, you'd actually be surprised that people capable getting into either of these wouldnt go to them but would rather go to a uni like tvu :rolleyes:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by lnwn)
    Do you go to cambridge? if not then sthu, do you go to oxford? no? then sthu as well, you'd actually be surprised that people capable getting into either of these wouldnt go to them but would rather go to a uni like tvu :rolleyes:
    Sorry, but that's quite unbelievable. Sure, someone may choose another top university over Oxbridge, but for someone to choose TVU over Oxbridge? Let's be real.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    Sorry, but that's quite unbelievable. Sure, someone may choose another top university over Oxbridge, but for someone to choose TVU over Oxbridge? Let's be real.
    You better start believing ^_^ tis true

ReputationRep:
    ********. If you can get into Oxbridge, you shouldn't have much difficulty getting into any uni you wanted, for most courses (maybe not medicine/vet etc, but for all reasonable subjects). And I highly doubt that out of all Unis in the country, TVU would be anyone's top choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lnwn)
    You better start believing ^_^ tis true
    May I ask why someone would pick TVU over Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illy123)
    May I ask why someone would pick TVU over Cambridge?
    Lots of people don't like the idea of Cambridge - it's often seen as elitist, full of rahs, only for white middle class people, insane workload, etc.

But I don't see why you'd go to TVU when you could go to almost any other uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nebuduck)
    Lots of people don't like the idea of Cambridge - it's often seen as elitist, full of rahs, only for white middle class people, insane workload, etc.

I know, from my own experience, that its not uncommon for people to pick other top unis over Cambridge. However, picking something like TSU over Cambridge - I'm curious about someone's reasons for doing so.

(Original post by Nebuduck)

That's just a pure stereotype you mentioned which is not true. If I were you I'd get your facts straight.

And btw, I doubt a student aiming for Oxbridge would want to go to TVU, with reasons that's quite obvious.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go with the 2:2 from Notts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    That's just a pure stereotype you mentioned which is not true.
    How are you so sure of that?

With such a high number of individuals from high socio-economic groups (in both the staff and student bodies) it's inevitable that there will be a bit of elitism/snobbyness there (and I'm sure you'd only have to ask a handful of Oxbridge students to find some who agreed). It's also a well known fact that the workload is extremely high (as one would expect).

Stereotypes have to come from somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    To graduate from Oxbridge is an absolutely amazing achievement (as is with the other uni), but I wouldn't be surprised if companies in America for example would differentiate on the basis of it being Oxbridge due to it being so widely recognised.

ReputationRep:
    So many of you are clueless who voted for either Nottingham or Cambridge. If you CV is impressive i.e you have a couple of internships, graduating from christ church won't make any difference for most graduate schemes.

ReputationRep:
    You should go to a uni you think you'll enjoy and benefit from anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lnwn)
    Yep. Sure. People would turn down Cambridge or Oxford in favour of one step up from their local tech...somehow I don't think so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    That's just a pure stereotype you mentioned which is not true. If I were you I'd get your facts straight.

And btw, I doubt a student aiming for Oxbridge would want to go to TVU, with reasons that's quite obvious.
    Yes, I know it's a stereotype - guess what! I'm at Cambridge! I know damned well what it's actually like. If you re-read my post, you'll find I was saying that that was a stereotype of Oxbridge (note the phrase 'it's seen as', as opposed to 'it is'), and the fact that such a stereotype existed put people off. I wasn't agreeing that the stereotype was valid. If I were you, I'd read posts before criticising them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    A third from Cambridge. At least you can still say "Oh yes and I went to Cambridge" and raise your eyebrow elegantly.
    A third from Cambridge is an epic fail. You have a vast array of resources, one to one tuition and you can't even get a 2ii?

(Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    A First from Thames Valley is worth little more than the certificate it's printed on.
    And you can comment on the quality and standards of higher education because? A first is never to be sniffed at. In fact, it's probably harder at supposedly crud universities because the assumption of a lacking library and poor student relations, such as overcrowded seminars etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    A third from Cambridge is an epic fail. You have a vast array of resources, one to one tuition and you can't even get a 2ii?

And you can comment on the quality and standards of higher education because? A first is never to be sniffed at. In fact, it's probably harder at supposedly crud universities because the assumption of a lacking library and poor student relations, such as overcrowded seminars etc.
    But surely that as class grading is institution specific, it's gonna be a lot easier for someone to be top of the year at TVU than top of the year at cambridge, due to the average intelligence of the students?

ReputationRep:
    There are several factors producing this issue:

The first is that the government would very much like to be able to say 'A first is a first, no matter where it's from', etc.

The second is that the academic abilities of people span an absolutely huge range.

And the third is that every university would like to hand out some firsts each year.

Now, the second essentially means that there is absolutely no way the most academically able people in, say, TVU are on a par with those at Cambridge - if Cam takes those at the top of the A-level pile, and TVU takes those at the bottom, there'll be no overlap, even given the fact that A-levels aren't a totally reliable indicator of level of intellect - sorry to all those of you who say 'Maybe they just had a bad time at A-level' - it simply doesn't work like that. If you're moderately smart, you shouldn't be getting Ds at A-level - even if you do no work throughout the entire course.

The second, however, means that the top people at TVU are awarded firsts, because TVU doesn't want to not give them firsts.

Hence, the top people at TVU are given the same grade as the top people at Cam. There's obviously no way the two are the same, by the prior argument. But everyone wants you to think they're the same.

Disagreements ensue.

It just so happens that I think that the top people at TVU are quite probably not on a par with those from Cambridge who get 2.2s or possibly even 3rds, though I suppose that's really a matter of opinion, and yeah, maybe I'm a tad elitist. Hence, I reckon that a 3rd from Cam > 1st from TVU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    But surely that as class grading is institution specific, it's gonna be a lot easier for someone to be top of the year at TVU than top of the year at cambridge, due to the average intelligence of the students?
    That's an issue as they are not national qualifications in the same way that 'A' levels are. However, people will ignore that 'lesser' universities, however perceived, can have just as demanding courses as their 'higher regarded' counterparts. I've seen some thought of this matter but because a select bunch of 'lesser' institutions have 'easier' degrees it is assumed that they all do.

A few months back someone posted on how easy the UCLan maths course is compared to UCL. But then I just pointed out how hard Cambridge is to UCL. I don't think we can make too much out of 'A' levels to degree, in terms of academic progress, they're too different. Intelligence is a word I will refrain from using in this context. I've seen some high performers from 'A' levels write some awful essays with some more modest achievers excelling. Too many people think they've made it I guess.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 24, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.