Turn on thread page Beta

Kosovo-Albania-Serbia watch

ReputationRep:
    I am confused.

Roughly 92% of Kosacs are Albanian, why are they seperate regions?

The people of Kosovo are very close to the Albanians, a few i have spoken to consider themselves Albanian.

Can someone explain what is going on?

I can understan why they wanted independance from Serbia, but i do not see why they don't want to join Albania.

I don't think it is because the people don't want to, but because NATO and the EU won't let them.

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    The more i read about the Balkans, the more i hate the USSR. They truely ****** that region.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bateman)
    I am confused.

The people of Kosovo are very close to the Albanians, a few i have spoken to consider themselves Albanian.

Can someone explain what is going on?

I can understan why they wanted independance from Serbia, but i do not see why they don't want to join Albania.

I don't think it is because the people don't want to, but because NATO and the EU won't let them.

What do you think?
    Not 100% and cba to look into it, but there's probably subsets of Albanians, just like English, Scottish and Welsh are all British, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeff Hunter)
    Not 100% and cba to look into it, but there's probably subsets of Albanians, just like English, Scottish and Welsh are all British, etc.
    Look, if you don't know anything, what is the point in posting?

ReputationRep:
    actually you need to look at the break up of former Yugoslavia after the cold war to understand the whole situation of Kosovo!! i maybe wrong in saying this but this is what it think kosovo declared independence Feb 2008 unilaterally because of what happened in 1999 and before that...they don't want to join Albania because they believe that independent state like themselves will get a lot of help from the EU and of course NATO i.e. financially and security wise.........its like this everyone wants a share of the cake and so does kosovo since were living in a globalized world its the same thing with Scotland when they see whats happening in the former Yugoslavia they pressure the central government in England for independence. i do have sympathies for this region i mean they went through a lot and the bloody Russians still don't recognize them i guess the old cold war grudge is still upon them and the ICJ still haven't bothered to take up the case of kosovo!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I thought that Albania being one of the poorest (if not the poorest) nation in the EU has something to do with it, however, i am willing to bet that it is only the government that is looking at it from this point of view.

They are Albanians after all, it is not the same as scotland at all. I have began to find out that the EU and NATO are pressuring them, if you look at this report it states that Kosovo can seperate from Serbia, but it cannot join any other country (meaning Albania).

ReputationRep:
    The more i read about the Balkans, the more i hate the USSR. They truely ****** that region.

this is one of the stupiest comments i have ever heard on TSR.

the ussr ****** jugoslavia?

um, no part of that region was ever in the ussr. furthermore, following the tito-stalin split of 1948 when tito refused to join cominform the ussr had very strained relations with jugoslavia, let alone shaped it's borders!

and why don't kosovars want to be part of albania? it's got nothing to do with nato etc... many of the ordinary people likely would (or simply dont care)... the leaders however, love the power of an independent state. if you're an independent state you get to have a presidency, and a parliament and get invited for dinner at the whitehouse, or to tea with mandella.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkadykris)
    this is one of the stupiest comments i have ever heard on TSR.

You cannot hear typed posts.
    :rolleyes:
    the ussr ****** jugoslavia?

um, no part of that region was ever in the ussr. furthermore, following the tito-stalin split of 1948 when tito refused to join cominform the ussr had very strained relations with jugoslavia, let alone shaped it's borders!

and why don't kosovars want to be part of albania? it's got nothing to do with nato etc... many of the ordinary people likely would (or simply dont care)... the leaders however, love the power of an independent state. if you're an independent state you get to have a presidency, and a parliament and get invited for dinner at the whitehouse, or to tea with mandella.
    This is one of the most stupidest posts i have ever read on TSR.

ReputationRep:

then please do me the courtesy of explaining why.

i will tell you that i have lived in three countries of the former jugoslavia for a total of more than five years, i have many friends living there, i was there myself two weeks ago, and speak the main language.

so, if you have any additional, unique insights you'd like to add, i'm all ears... or eyes since i won't be able to hear your response.

ReputationRep:

I second this.

ReputationRep:
    then please do me the courtesy of explaining why.

i will tell you that i have lived in three countries of the former jugoslavia for a total of more than five years, i have many friends living there, i was there myself two weeks ago, and speak the main language.
    So? what has that got to do with anything?

ReputationRep:
    I am confused.

Kosovars, not Kosacs.

Plenty of people in Northern Ireland identify with being Irish and don't want to join or be incorporated into an Irish state. Moreover, when you say 'are Albanian' - do you mean ethnically?

Sure, people may feel Albanian, and some may even want a Greater Albania, but ultimately most will go along with what is prudent at the given time - and that is, particularly for foreign policy reasons, to maintain the status quo.

Edit: A poll in 2005 showed that only 10% of people in Kosovo sought a Greater Albania: http://www.economist.com/world/europ...ory_id=8558447

I think the bigoted *******s who murdered thousands of people simply for some minor ethnic difference are the ones at fault here - and most of them were perfectly native to the Balkans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Kosovars, not Kosacs.

Plenty of people in Northern Ireland identify with being Irish and don't want to join or be incorporated into an Irish state. Moreover, when you say 'are Albanian' - do you mean ethnically?

Sure, people may feel Albanian, and some may even want a Greater Albania, but ultimately most will go along with what is prudent at the given time - and that is, particularly for foreign policy reasons, to maintain the status quo.

Edit: A poll in 2005 showed that only 10% of people in Kosovo sought a Greater Albania: http://www.economist.com/world/europ...ory_id=8558447
    But, how fair and representative is that poll? I mean it is not a normal poll is it? Every person, regardless of wealth/age/sex etc. is going to have different views. Normal polls for normal situations calculate things based on wealth/sex/occupation/age etc.

Also, greater Albania includes parts of Montenegro. Kosovo is independent and so it is a different matter.

I think the bigoted *******s who murdered thousands of people simply for some minor ethnic difference are the ones at fault here - and most of them were perfectly native to the Balkans.

You're right, but the ussr ****** that place up. They moved entire ethnicities away from their home land and tried to remove their patriotism to minimise the chances of them separating.

Look at what is happening in Chechnya, they're murdering them, and have a lot of troops based their. The Russian troops are not like American or British troops, they're conscripted and they are not paid properly and are not fed properly, they steal from people and rape the women, i worked with someone from Chechnya.

I also worked with someone from Hungary, he tells me his Grandmother never left the house because the Russian soldiers would rape anyone they saw.

ReputationRep:

You're right, but the ussr ****** that place up. They moved entire ethnicities away from their home land and tried to remove their patriotism to minimise the chances of them separating.
    THE USSR NEVER RULED THE TERRITORY OF JUGOSLAVIA. EVER.

LEARN YOUR HISTORY>

jugoslav partisans led by tito liberated themselves from the nazi occupation at the tail end of WW2... of course there was plenty of allied (US, UK and USSR) support in terms of both men and materials but it was very much a homegrown campaign.

tito was a communist long before then. so were his fellow commanders.

After the war Jugoslavia and the USSR were close for about 3-4 years BUT Jugoslavia was not under Soviet influence. Following its refusal to accept Cominform it rejected Stalin and purused it's own path.

Do you think that if they had been under the Soviet this would have been allowed? Take a look at Hungary (1956) and Czechslovakia (1968)... then you'll see what happened to a country that was a Soviet satellite and tried to escape the yolk.

Yugoslavia never was a satellite. It wasn't even in the Warsaw Pact!

So, please, PLEASE explain to me how the USSR ****D up the entire region???? Stalin didn't move anyone, anywhere in that part of the world. I think you are getting wildly confused with the Caucuses.

Don't forget, Macedonia also has a substantial Albanian population. Did you even know that they fought a mini civil war there over the issue in 2001? The agreement which ended the conflict, the Ochrid Agreement (named after the lakeside where it was signed) specifically forbade the Albanian population in Macedonian from pursuing secessionist goals in exchange for full legal rights, recognition and protection within the Macedonian state.

You probably didnt know any of this since you thought that it was all part of the USSR!

ReputationRep:
    THE USSR NEVER RULED THE TERRITORY OF JUGOSLAVIA. EVER.

LEARN YOUR HISTORY>

jugoslav partisans led by tito liberated themselves from the nazi occupation at the tail end of WW2... of course there was plenty of allied (US, UK and USSR) support in terms of both men and materials but it was very much a homegrown campaign.

tito was a communist long before then. so were his fellow commanders.

After the war Jugoslavia and the USSR were close for about 3-4 years BUT Jugoslavia was not under Soviet influence. Following its refusal to accept Cominform it rejected Stalin and purused it's own path.

Do you think that if they had been under the Soviet this would have been allowed? Take a look at Hungary (1956) and Czechslovakia (1968)... then you'll see what happened to a country that was a Soviet satellite and tried to escape the yolk.

Yugoslavia never was a satellite. It wasn't even in the Warsaw Pact!

So, please, PLEASE explain to me how the USSR ****D up the entire region???? Stalin didn't move anyone, anywhere in that part of the world. I think you are getting wildly confused with the Caucuses.

Don't forget, Macedonia also has a substantial Albanian population. Did you even know that they fought a mini civil war there over the issue in 2001? The agreement which ended the conflict, the Ochrid Agreement (named after the lakeside where it was signed) specifically forbade the Albanian population in Macedonian from pursuing secessionist goals in exchange for full legal rights, recognition and protection within the Macedonian state.

You probably didnt know any of this since you thought that it was all part of the USSR!

America is ******* up Iraq... that doesn't mean Iraq is part of America does it?

ReputationRep:
    America is ******* up Iraq... that doesn't mean Iraq is part of America does it?
    think again about the line of argument you are pursuing here... there is no comparison between the coalition forces in iraq and the ussr's relationship with jugoslavia.

the ussr never invaded, occupied and governed jugoslavia. the two countries didnt even have diplomatic relations!

HOW WAS THE USSR SHAPING JUGOSLAV POLICY WHEN THE TWO COUNTRIES DIDNT EVEN TALK?! THEY HATED EACH OTHER AS MUCH AS NATO vs. THE WARSAW PACT.

i suggest that you go an read about the non-aligned movement before posting again: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Ali...vement#Summits

it was founded by yugoslavia as an anti-western and anti-soviet organization. jugoslavia WAS NOT allied to, occupied by, or governed by the USSR!

ReputationRep:
    really don't see how anyone can blame the soviets for the yugoslav ethnic strife.

if anything, tito's moving and mixing of the ethnic groups was a step in the right direction. if it had carried on, the groups would have merged and nothing would ever have kicked off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul PTS)
    OK.I tell you the real story my friend.Don't listen American propaganda.
    The Kosovo was Serbian land for centures.Then there were political problems in the neighbour Albania.So Albanians migrants ran across the border:"Ow,our Slavonic brothers Serbian,help us!"
    Serbians met them like friends,shared with them their own land,food and house roof.
    But the Albanians occured betrayers and violaters of guest's rules.So now they took all Serbian lands in Kosovo,murdered real land owners and separated the region.
    The worst thing which may muslim do is to violate the guest's rules and offend the houseowner who shared his food with him.I mean if it occur at Caucase,and not with Slavs(like Serbians) Albanians women would run out of there,because their men would be all manslaughtered.
    The God exist and dislike any kind of betrayers.One day He brings the Albanian nation suffer and death.
    Serbian and Albanian are also relative Slavonic nations.
    The Fourth rule which amir Taragay told his son Tamerlan:"Never betray your relatives,never offend them."
    Perfectly proves my point about how inter-ethnic twаttery ruined a model federation. i'm sure albanians have equally believable (and infantile) stories to tell about serbs. grow up.

also, albanians aren't slavs. well, their language definitely isn't.

look at switzerland. another european (con)federation containing multiple ethnicities and languages. they get along perfectly well. why didn't yugoslavia march on into the future as a beacon of progress? because of pathetic opinions like the above. it's people like you that destroyed yugoslavia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pocket Calculator)
    Perfectly proves my point about how inter-ethnic twаttery ruined a model federation. i'm sure albanians have equally believable (and infantile) stories to tell about serbs. grow up.

also, albanians aren't slavs. well, their language definitely isn't.

look at switzerland. another european (con)federation containing multiple ethnicities and languages. they get along perfectly well. why didn't yugoslavia march on into the future as a beacon of progress? because of pathetic opinions like the above. it's people like you that destroyed yugoslavia.
    Bosnian+Croatian+Serbian=one nation.Albanian - Slavs assimilated by Turkish.Albanian greatest national hero - Georgiy Kastrioty (Scanderberg).
    If you yourself were janizary for several generations you also would speak Turkish and not English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul PTS)
    Bosnian+Croatian+Serbian=one nation.
    too right they are! if only they realised that and stopped hating eachother.
    Albanian - Slavs assimilated by Turkish.Albanian greatest national hero - Georgiy Kastrioty (Scanderberg).
    If you yourself were janizary for several generations you also would speak Turkish and not English.
    their language is not directly related to either turkish or the slavic languages.

it makes me so sad that yugoslavia no longer exists. it had so much potential.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 25, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.