Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why are bankers highly paid Watch

ReputationRep:
    I dont consider it to be back breaking work and you dont even need to be particularly clever or talented. I could be wrong though so enlighten me please.

ReputationRep:
    I missed the punchline.

ReputationRep:
    Blue Magic, it's a brand name.

Because they're at the focal point of the lubricant of society: money. They have huge influence and control over money, so they can reward themselves copious amounts.

ReputationRep:
    These Indians know what they're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    Advising FTSE companies on multi million, sometimes billion pound deals tends to pay handsomely.

ReputationRep:
    Because they are talented and intelligent. It is very difficult to become a banker, and even when you do, it's extremely stressful.

The industry pays high due to the risks involved. If you fail in your portfolio, you don't get highly paid.

Bankers deal with huge amounts of money, investing the money of multi-national corporations, some have portfolios of billions of pounds to deal with. Therefore, they take a large cut out of any profits they make out of these investments. Someone with such responsibility is bound to be highly paid, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemagic)
    I dont consider it to be back breaking work and you dont even need to be particularly clever or talented. I could be wrong though so enlighten me please.
    What can that possibly have to do with anything?

They are high paid because the contract the employer negotiates with the employee stipulates so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdwardCurrent)
    What can that possibly have to do with anything?

They are high paid because the contract the employer negotiates with the employee stipulates so.
    But its not fair that engineers, which i plan to become, work harder and are more intelligent and yet are paid less than bankers.

ReputationRep:
    But its not fair that engineers, which i plan to become, work harder and are more intelligent and yet are paid less than bankers.
    Well firstly, but entirely incidentally, that's ********. Engineers in general don't work any 'harder' than bankers and the majority do not stand out in intelligence.

All irrelevant in any case and not unfair in the slightest. Become a banker instead.

ReputationRep:
    Because sperm is worth alot per Litre?

ReputationRep:
    How big headed are you.

Engineers aren't clever than bankers!

Bankers have to carefully analyse the portfolios of major businesses, predict market conditions, buy and sell at the right time, take major risks and influence the markets.

Bankers have alot more stressed placed on them than an Engineer does, everyday 9-5!

Clever how anyway, it's a very subjective thing. I don't think you could bring as much added value to a business as a banker could.

But then a banker couldn't build a bridge to ease and reroute traffic and increase productivity.

But please don't be a big headed ******* like that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeonecalledJohnny)
    How big headed are you.

Engineers aren't clever than bankers!

Bankers have to carefully analyse the portfolios of major businesses, predict market conditions, buy and sell at the right time, take major risks and influence the markets.

Bankers have alot more stressed placed on them than an Engineer does, everyday 9-5!

Clever how anyway, it's a very subjective thing. I don't think you could bring as much added value to a business as a banker could.

But then a banker couldn't build a bridge to ease and reroute traffic and increase productivity.

But please don't be a big headed ******* like that!

(Original post by EdwardCurrent)
    Well firstly, but entirely incidentally, that's ********. Engineers in general don't work any 'harder' than bankers and the majority do not stand out in intelligence.

All irrelevant in any case and not unfair in the slightest. Become a banker instead.

Lets put this into perspective, shall we?
    To become a banker you need: maths(not essential), economics and any other subject.
    To become an engineer you need: maths(essential), physics and any other subject.
    Most people would consider physics and maths to be the hardest subjects around so its clear that engineers need to be brighter than bankers. Also, to me making decisions is part life and we all have to make them so i dont see how this makes bankers 'better'. I realise that im probably coming across as big headed but its not my intention.

To become a banker you need: maths(not essential), economics and any other subject.
    To become an engineer you need: maths(essential), physics and any other subject.
    Most people would consider physics and maths to be the hardest subjects around so its clear that engineers need to be brighter than bankers. Also, to me making decisions is part life and we all have to make them so i dont see how this makes bankers 'better'. I realise that im probably coming across as big headed but its not my intention.
    From an academic point of view sure.

However, it doesn't take much to BE a successful engineer (once you've got the grades and stuff).

The risks involved in banking mean that you need to be both really lucky and really sensitive to all that's going on to succeed.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean "any other subject"? You're talking about A Levels now?

There is nothing difficult about A Level maths or physics, or even engineering degree level maths. It's mostly a case of turning the handle and out pops your result. The "difficulty" is in the insight required to set up your models correctly in the first place. Economics or business graduates need to develop similar insight.

Ultimately it depends where your strengths lie, but that says nothing about relative "difficulty". The entire premise is idiotic.

But, even if it were true, so ******* what? Salaries are driven by the market. It has nothing to do with intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    You're full of crap. Many many bankers are in fact engineers and pretty much 90% of the banking population comes from top 20 world universities.

Bankers make a lot because they earn it. And not back breaking work....LOL have you ever even worked in a bank? You'd probably go crying as soon as your boss called you a mug.

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll find OP, that I win.

What a shame, really.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.