Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,
    I've been given a conditional offer for Spanish & Education at Cardiff.
    Anyone else here going for Spanish at Cardiff?
    How are you feeling about it? Personally I can't wait!
    Also what was everyone's offers? I got offered 300 UCAS Points.
    I won't be checking back here often so if you want to reply, PLEASE quote me :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by not-another-number)
    Hey all,
    I've been given a conditional offer for Spanish & Education at Cardiff.
    Anyone else here going for Spanish at Cardiff?
    How are you feeling about it? Personally I can't wait!
    Also what was everyone's offers? I got offered 300 UCAS Points.
    I won't be checking back here often so if you want to reply, PLEASE quote me :rolleyes:
    I'll be doing French and beginner's Spanish, and my offer was ABC. I'm looking forward to it too, but I'm still slightly nervous about learning a new language

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by not-another-number)
    As a second year, I figure I should jump in, and give you a mini-taster of what you're getting this year (as much as you'll be told it in the first week or so):

Spanish is split into two core subjects which you must pass (40%) to get into the next year. You study Spanish Culture in one subject (this year we did Spanish History from around 1470 - 1976; and two Spanish pieces of literature, not in translation). In the other, you do Language (grammar, translation and conversation). It's not so bad really, the worst is timetabling, where you can end up with conversation at 10am on a Friday (which for me, was the worst, because I went out Thursday nights to Walkabout, Clwb Ifor Bach, or the Union, and wouldn't be in the best state for it).

On top of this, and any joint honours subject you do, you have to choose a third subject. Please, start thinking about it now. I thought about it in advance, and was going to do Italian, but then I dropped politics and had to pick a new third subject and ended up doing Ancient History along with Italian as electives. I've carried Italian through, mind you.
    You're both doing two subjects, so, just think of a third one. There are quite a few, so long as it's within HUMS (humanities) or EUROS (Langs/Politics).

(Original post by Howells)
    Since you're doing an ab initio language:

There's no need to be nervous. I can tell you that it's not as bad as you think (and I'm taking up Catalan this year, so that's 2 ab initios in two years). The courses differ from language to language, but, they've all got the same aim - to get you up to a really good standard in under a year.
    Like I said, I did Italian this year, and surprisingly it was my best set of marks. It was mainly grammar and conversation that we did, and went from 'Ciao, come stai? Mi chiamo Alex' in the first day, to 'Penso che Maria sia bella, ma John ho pensato che lei fosse brutta.' (and there are probably mistakes in that).
    Spanish, if I remember rightly, runs on the same principle as Advanced Spanish - Grammar, Translation and Conversation, but at a much easier level. You still do the culture mods, though, this year the beginners and the advanced split during the literature module.

And for both of you:
    There is a horrible, horrible, horrible computer program called CAN-8 which has to be completed by the end of the year. You'll buy a pair of headphones (with a mic) at the start of the term, and then have to take some time out of your busy student schedule to get it done. I was lucky, and finished it about 2 weeks before the end of the year, because I went and blitzed it with a friend. Seriously, it's nothing major, but it can sometimes be the difference between a pass and a fail overall; and if you do it quickly, you can have free time at the end of the year for your exam revision.

Hope I didn't scare you too much. Any questions on the course, life as a languages student, or anything at all like that, which I may have missed, feel free to quote me here or PM me. I don't bite

And before I leave it at that:

I'd also like to do a bit of pre-term advertising, as I'm social secretary and treasurer of the Spanish-Italian Society (La Sociedad del Español e Italiano/La Società dello Spagnolo e Italiano). Basically, we're a group of guys and gals who love our Spanish - whether we have an interest in the language (which I can safely assume we all do), whether we're Spanish or Italian exchange students, or we just like the culture. We meet up every so often, and just make a night of it - last year, the committee organised movie nights, a masquerade ball, and a few socials...and this year, we're hoping to go bigger and better. (So, I'm hoping I'll see you at the Freshers' Fayre, or you'll at least sign up online if you're interested. And if not, then if all plans go ahead, you might see one or more of us gatecrashing your introductory lecture to remind people).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatatonicStupor)
    I'd also like to do a bit of pre-term advertising, as I'm social secretary and treasurer of the Spanish-Italian Society (La Sociedad del Español e Italiano/La Società dello Spagnolo e Italiano). Basically, we're a group of guys and gals who love our Spanish - whether we have an interest in the language (which I can safely assume we all do), whether we're Spanish or Italian exchange students, or we just like the culture. We meet up every so often, and just make a night of it - last year, the committee organised movie nights, a masquerade ball, and a few socials...and this year, we're hoping to go bigger and better. (So, I'm hoping I'll see you at the Freshers' Fayre, or you'll at least sign up online if you're interested. And if not, then if all plans go ahead, you might see one or more of us gatecrashing your introductory lecture to remind people).
    Thanks so much for all that great information! I was wondering how you found Ancient History? I had a look through the list of subjects available a few months ago and thought about doing it. I did A Level History but we only really did modern history - did you find you needed prior knowledge on the course? What kind of modules do you study?

And that soc sounds like something I'd be interested, so I'll have to drop by during Fresher's, or wait to be ambushed during lectures

Thanks in advance for any help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howells)
    Thanks so much for all that great information! I was wondering how you found Ancient History? I had a look through the list of subjects available a few months ago and thought about doing it. I did A Level History but we only really did modern history - did you find you needed prior knowledge on the course? What kind of modules do you study?

And that soc sounds like something I'd be interested, so I'll have to drop by during Fresher's, or wait to be ambushed during lectures

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Ancient History was an alright course. I did history A-level too, and had a bit of prior knowledge (but only the common knowledge people have of Ancient times).

The course was split into two, with one half being Ancient Roman and the other Ancient Greek. It was 22 weeks worth of 50minute lectures each, and a few seminars on more indepth stuff. Assessed through two essays, two presentations and two exams (but really, they weren't that bad).
    Ancient Roman history started at the founding of Rome back around 700BCE, and worked its way up to the fall of the Empire around 500AD, covering all the big things - Romulus and Remus, the Republic, Caesar, Augustus, the rise of Christianity, Constantinople etc. and some cultural facts. The lectures were just skin and bones (but quite interesting), and we were expected to read (or at least skim) Suetonius' Twelve Caesars, and Livy's History of Rome.
    Ancient Greek started around 800BCE, though it went back with contextual stuff sometimes as far as 1200BCE. That covered the myths of Greece, the rise of Athens, the Persian and Peloponnesian Wars, right up to Alexander the Great and the rise of Macedon. Again, it was bare bones stuff, and we were expected to skim (at least) Homer's Odyssey, and Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War.

And if I thought the subject was good, the essays this year were brilliant - I got to do a nice bit of indepth reading about the Spartan slave system, and some more on Constantine the Great and early Christianity in the Roman Empire. (Two things I like being Christianity pre-1800s, and Sparta.)

I've noticed you're a female, so, since this seems all battles here and there, I'm going to add, it's a bloody good course whatever gender you are. There's a fair mix of males and females in the lectures and in seminars; and, both have the same gripes and complaints (like "How do they expect us to read all those sources AND [x] chapters of Thucydides in a week? I just did it last night, so apologies if it's made up" "Yeah, me too. Oh well.") :rolleyes:

Still, I reckon you might enjoy it. I suppose it depends on your forte in history. I'm more of a medievalist, but that end of the course didn't appeal to me. If you like it, take it; or try out something new and exciting. You only have to do it for a year, well, 22 weeks; and if you don't like it, drop it and don't take it on into Year 2.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for all the info about the Spanish course. I'll be taking it from the beginner's level, which I'm really excited about From what you're saying here it sounds like a quite a lot of work though (especially joint with another language and another subject). But I guess you can expect it from any language degree

Two questions:
    Do the marks from the exams sum up or the final exams at the end of the term are the only ones that count?
    How many lectures/seminars/conversations altogether a week do you have, vaguely?

And the society sounds really interesting, I will definitely drop by during freshers week as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Digsy333)
    Thanks a lot for all the info about the Spanish course. I'll be taking it from the beginner's level, which I'm really excited about From what you're saying here it sounds like a quite a lot of work though (especially joint with another language and another subject). But I guess you can expect it from any language degree

Two questions:
    Do the marks from the exams sum up or the final exams at the end of the term are the only ones that count?
    How many lectures/seminars/conversations altogether a week do you have, vaguely?

And the society sounds really interesting, I will definitely drop by during freshers week as well
    Sorry for the delay. I don't check back as often as I used to. Anyway, to answer your questions:

Marks are cumulative. Yes. At least they were for the advanced class. We had a grammar test at the end of the first two trimesters, and then two translations roughly every fortnight or month (depending on the time of year). They were then all added to the score of the final exam, and the mark from the conversation class to give an overall.
    I can admit I didn't put the work in this year, not by a long shot. And I passed with a 52 in language.
    The other class you'll do with the advanced students is assessed by two essays, one usually due after Christmas, and one due just after Easter break.

Lectures, seminars and conversations break down thusly (though, it depends, and changes from course to course, so I'll just give you an idea of my 'timetable'):

All classes are 50minutes long, so it broke down, with my Ancient History, Italian and Spanish as:
    2 Ancient history lectures, and a fortnightly seminar.
    4 Italian language classes (one in a 'double-lesson' slot, so we could do either 1hour50, or have a break between), and one Italian history class.
    1 Spanish grammar class per week, 1 translation class (which varied from English-Spanish to Spanish-English on a rotating basis), 1 one conversation class. There's also the compulsory culture class.

So, you're looking at roughly 12 hours a week, maybe more, maybe less, depending on the subjects you choose as your electives. I know my friend doing philosophy, advanced French and Spanish had less hours than I did; and I think the people doing beginners Spanish had more contact time (in Spanish) than the advanced did.
    But that's understandable, because they aim to get you to a near A-level standard by the end of Year 1. And you can work from there. It's just a case of whether you take it for four years and do the intercalary year too, then. By the end of Year 3, they expect everyone to be nearly on the same level

Buena suerte, as we say. And I hope you enjoy your fresher year. (Any more help needed, feel free to quote me )

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for your help and all the info

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatatonicStupor)
    ....On top of this, and any joint honours subject you do, you have to choose a third subject. Please, start thinking about it now. I thought about it in advance, and was going to do Italian, but then I dropped politics and had to pick a new third subject and ended up doing Ancient History along with Italian as electives. I've carried Italian through, mind you.
    You're both doing two subjects, so, just think of a third one. There are quite a few, so long as it's within HUMS (humanities) or EUROS (Langs/Politics).

Yeah I was thinking ab initio German or Italian for my third subject as I'm hoping to go into the fields of translation or teaching so the more languages I can learn the better really. I figured German along with Spanish would be a good language for teaching as it is commonly taught in the UK and plus it bears no similarities to Spanish that I could get confused with.
    That society sounds like a good idea though. I'll be sure to look that up on fresher's week.

ReputationRep:
    im doing just spanish
    which halls are you staying in ?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.