Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone ever flown by plane when it was raining? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, and is it a bit erm, nerve racking?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. You bump around like crazy and it's fun more than anything. You eventually fly over the clouds.

ReputationRep:
    This one time it rained on the plane and the windows got wet.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yeah, the windows get a bit wet.

Seriously though, we had to wait for 2 hours on the tarmac at heathrow once for a lightning storm to die down then when we finally took off it was still tipping down, that was a bit dodgy.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but it's not too bad, maybe thre's a bit more turbulence, but it's ok.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I was going from Rio de Janeiro to Buenos Aires and argh it was raining so badly you couldn't even see the runway
    I wasn't scared at all tbh. After half an hour we were above the clouds, so the rain was gone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shenzys)
    Its fine, its a bit bumpy as you get up above the clouds but once you're up its fine

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but only in a small single-engine plane. I don't really find it any more scary than when it rains and I'm inside a house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shenzys)
    Yes I've travelled on a plane loads of times, and sometimes it does rain. But unless there's a real thunder, there's nothing to worry about. Rain in itself doesn't affect the flight. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

ReputationRep:
    yeh. quite a few times
    i fly way too much but meh.

it's a bit bumpy takeoff/landing, some turbulance in the air too at times. but it's just for a bit..

though someitmes planes can get cancelled/delayed if it rains too much and it's domestic (though internationals canget delayed/cancelled too)

ReputationRep:
    It aint that bad but the lighting looks amazing from above once ur out of the clouds!!

ReputationRep:
    Ive flown in rain a few times, sometimes it barely noticable. Other times theres a bit of turbulance but nothing major.

Now, flying through thunder and lightening..thats something. Was pretty impressive tbh!

ReputationRep:
    we flew around the edge of a dying hurricane once. That was really fun!

ReputationRep:
    Probably, I don't know. I don't really pay attention, it's a plane I'm just waiting till I can get off the glorified bus.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, its absolutley nothing to worry about. It will rain for about 5 mins, then you'll be above the clouds. it'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    One time when it was raining really heavily at night the lights caught the rain horizontally so it looked like the run way. (we were due to land and in decent)
    We were shaking quite a bit from wind so it felt like we'd landed but we just didn't come to a stop. I was thinking wtf :p:
    After like 5 mins of :confused: I realised we were still in the sky

ReputationRep:
    Pfft, a bit of rains nothing - we got struck by lightning the last plane I went on! (sudden bang and flash of light, a bit unnerving...)

ReputationRep:
    I find you don't notice the rain when taking off but on landing I think it makes more turbulence but then it's okay because you're nearly there!

I was also on a plane that was struck by lightening when we were landing! That was quite scary but all okay in the end, the pilot said it happens a lot in storms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by craigie22)
    we flew around the edge of a dying hurricane once. That was really fun!
    Yeahh same here, lightning is quite a spectacular sight in the air. My mum looked like she was about to pass out though :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm flying to Zurich on friday and there better not be any summer storms then... or so help me I'm not going.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.