Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone ever flown by plane when it was raining? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I love flying when it's raining, during the night, or snowing during the night. It's freaking awesome.

Last year I've been flying from Berlin to London, they had those mahooosive snowalls, we got our flight delayed over an hour, there's been loads of snow, defrosting machines and sooooo much snow, it was wet, dark, fun fun fun :woo: :woo: :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I flew through a rain cloud in a Cessna 152, now that was dodgy (yet also fun in a way).

A passenger jet would be fine in rainy conditions, don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    On my trip to Orlando a few weeks ago we flew around this huge storm (we were meant to go through it, but didn't for obvious reasons).

I got a video of it, but it doesn't quite capture how amazing it was to see from the window.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSL-O8ImFj8

ReputationRep:
    Flying near to a thunderstorm is immense and really gets your adrenaline going.
    On our flight from Newark to Bogota last summer we flew above a thunderstorm over the Caribbean and saw fork lightning from above. Best in-flight entertainment you could wish for - we spent an hour just looking out of the window.

ReputationRep:
    Hardly. Might get a little bit bumpy but that's about it.

ReputationRep:
    Take a look at the Rolls Royce engine test for water. The engine still runs with ridiculous amount of water so its alright.

ReputationRep:
    I remember setting off from Paris and it was glorious weather and then when we got to England it chucked it down! When we landed it was still raining and they made us walk to the terminal rather than giving us a bus, the joy! :hmpf:

But as everyone has said, rain doesn't cause much problems apart from a bit of turbulence

ReputationRep:
    Let there be thunderr :awesome:

Not really, I'd hate to fly in the rain. Especially if it was thunder and lightning and a big storm :sad:

I like a bit of turbulence, me.

ReputationRep:
    I've been flying in the rain before, theres slightly more turbulence below the clouds but other than that its fine, it even gives the aircraft a nice wash!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamitri)
    I love flying when it's raining, during the night, or snowing during the night. It's freaking awesome.

Last year I've been flying from Berlin to London, they had those mahooosive snowalls, we got our flight delayed over an hour, there's been loads of snow, defrosting machines and sooooo much snow, it was wet, dark, fun fun fun :woo: :woo: :woo:
    I loooooove flying at night

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    This one time it rained on the plane and the windows got wet.
    Lol, I can just imagine someone saying this with a really enthusiastic voice, and nobody else giving a ****.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've flown through thunder and lightening. Didn't scare me, it's just a more bumpy flight!

ReputationRep:
    I was on an Air France flight from Rio to Paris in May. The weather was a bit mental iirc. Never did land either....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antriver)
    On my trip to Orlando a few weeks ago we flew around this huge storm (we were meant to go through it, but didn't for obvious reasons).

I got a video of it, but it doesn't quite capture how amazing it was to see from the window.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSL-O8ImFj8
    That video was pretty cool but it didn't look like the plane was moving...

You always get above the rain pretty quickly. It's worst if you come back from a lovely hot place and have a bumpy landing in rainy grey Britain. There's something about the water running down the windows and the sight of the tarmac that really lets you know you're home

ReputationRep:
    Rain won't cause you any problems at all.

I was once on a flight from Helsinki - London via Stockholm. When the plane touched down in Stockholm, one of its tyres burst. Now, you'd imagine that you would at least feel quite a bump should such a thing occur. However, I would never even have known it had happened had they not announced it and apologised for the extra time we'd have to sit on the ground in Stockholm whilst they changed the tyre. So, rain certainly is nothing to worry about. At worst, if you fly through a storm you may get a bit of turbulence.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.