Turn on thread page Beta

Would you ever go out with a disabled person? watch

ReputationRep:
    Discuss...

Disabled people, would you go out with them? This would include blind, deaf... and would you still go out with them before and after the diasbility?

I was wondering this because, I had a piece of work back on it from uni- and this has made me think about this issue

ReputationRep:
    i think it would make a relationship more difficult and relationships are difficult enough.

ReputationRep:
    If I was attracted to them, of course I would.

ReputationRep:
    Your mother never bothered me

ReputationRep:
    Not with a severe disability.

ReputationRep:
    If there's enough love, then yes.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to think I would regardless but in honesty it would depend what the disability was. Physical stuff not a problem, mental handicaps probably would be.

ReputationRep:
    I've thought for ages that I wouldn't mind dating a girl in a wheelchair, at all. I probably would a deaf girl too, I'm not sure about blind, that might be too much. I'm not sure if I'm the type of person that could care for someone 24 hours a day (if I needed too). I'm a bit impatient ... but then, I suppose love is love, and when it happens I would probably do anything.

I suppose ... I wouldn't plan to, but it might just randomly happen anyway. You have to adapt to situations thrown at you, I guess.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Could make real issues like communication difficult, unfortunately. They also will live an entirely different life to an 'able' person, so may be difficult to relate. Underlying health issues could also provide a barrier. If these issues could be overcome i don't see why not though.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I don't think mentally I'm strong enough to deal with something like that and that inability would put too much strain on the relationship, maybe even causing a lot of arguments and friction, and I'd hate to do that to someone I "love"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Could make real issues like communication difficult, unfortunately. They also will live an entirely different life to an 'able' person, so may be difficult to relate. Underlying health issues could also provide a barrier. If these issues could be overcome i don't see why not though.
    I'm sure a lot of people in wheelchairs/deaf people/high functioning autistic people/etc would beg to disagree.

Personally, it depends on the disability. Physical I'd be fine with up to a point, mental probably not.

ReputationRep:
    Providing that we could both still offer love and affection to each other )obviously would have to be possible both ways. Then yes I would have to be attracted to them of course...Basically, a disability wouldn't put me off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    Not with a severe disability.
    Same. I'd like to be able to say otherwise but...

Apart from maybe if it was just the case of a missing limb or something, I know that sounds daft though.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't go out with them just to seem tolerant or some crap like this. But I don't know, if it's the right person for you, why not?

ReputationRep:
    I like to think I would, but in honesty I'm not sure. If I was with someone and they go in an accident and became disabled I would stay with them for as long as the relationship works.

That refers to phsyical disorders.

Mental disorders are a much bigger, more complex issue =S

ReputationRep:
    My only feasible chance would be with a blind man, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    I probably wouldn't to be honest. I've got disabled relatives and have seen how much they need help wise from the people around them. Relationships are tricky at the best of times, without throwing other complications into the mix as well.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by MancStudent098)
    I'd like to think I would regardless but in honesty it would depend what the disability was. Physical stuff not a problem, mental handicaps probably would be.

I'd date someone if I'd already been dating them, but I think I would find it very hard to date someone who already had a disability.

I am fully aware of some of the problems of mental disorders; I have one myself and I understand exactly how my boyfriend must feel, so I think I would find that hard as well. Mood disorders like mine are so hard for the partner; other such disabilities (e.g. learning difficulties, social difficulties) are even harder to deal with in a relationship.

No i wouldn't it would just make it much more difficult than a normal relationship and I have more important things going on in my life which to be honest is my attitude to relationships at the moment.

Single and proud!

ReputationRep:
    Mentally disabled? Probably not. Physically disabled, yes. But by the same conditions as always, he has to treat me nice, and I'd have to be intrested in him. I don't see why not.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.