Turn on thread page Beta

Would you ever go out with a disabled person? watch

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, people on here saying 'yes if there's love' don't really know what they're talking about because they've had little experience. People are generally very shallow when it comes to things like this. One of my distant cousins who lives in Vancouver attracted loads of women until he had a serious car crash and was paralysed. He can't get anyone now, and at 30+ he has to rely on his parents for everything. It's a real shame.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, if I liked them.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by imomo16)
    I'm sure a lot of people in wheelchairs/deaf people/high functioning autistic people/etc would beg to disagree.

Personally, it depends on the disability. Physical I'd be fine with up to a point, mental probably not.
    tbh i had sensory deprivation in mind when i said that - i'd agree.

ReputationRep:
    I've got a physical disability (CP) and I'd really like to go out with someone who's able bodied. I don't think I could go out with someone with a disability, it depends, but I wouldn't really want to.

ReputationRep:
    yes
    i would

This is perculiar actually, as I am thinking of writing a paper on this issue and others like it...

ReputationRep:
    Yes I definately would, don't see why not.

ReputationRep:
    no way...but only if i had an existing gf who suddenly went deaf/blind/paralysed...i couldnt leave someone like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
    My only feasible chance would be with a blind man, to be honest.
    *pats back*
    :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
    My only feasible chance would be with a blind man, to be honest.
    lmao.

on topic - probably not. depends

ReputationRep:
    Quite possibly.

ReputationRep:
    I've actually dated a deaf (hearing-impaired person for the prudes among us) girl not that much time ago.

She was a down to earth brilliant person, and extremely cute, that knowing what it's like to miss so much from the world made her even more understanding and willing to try and be good for everyone around her.

I couldn't really date a sever case of dissability though, like amputation or blindness. Probably because a part in me would feel more pitty than affection.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If I was attracted to them, yes.
    I have friends with disabilities and in my experience if you like someone you don't see them in terms of their disability, but just as themselves.

But yes, is does depend on the disability. Like often you just wouldn't be able to get close enough to someone with a severe learning disability to think of them like that.

It's hard to answer unless you have actually been in a relationship with someone who is disabled, although I have mental health problems and have been told that no-one will want me until I'm more sorted out.

Both of my parents have minor disabilities and they didn't meet until after they had them, and it hasn't affected their relationship (although it may obviously give me a different perspective to people who haven't had much experience of disabled people).

ReputationRep:
    Physically disabled, yes. I have and will do so again...
    Mentally... I'm ashamed to say I don't think I could, but of course, depends on the guy.

ReputationRep:
    I think it would entirely depend on the severity of the disability. After all, the term "dating" suggests a casual tryst so I probably wouldn't put myself through the trouble of taking care of someone with a severe disability simply because we may or may not be soulmates. If it wasn't a severe mental/physical disability then I could consider it, granted he was fully able to take care of himself.

Also...I told my boyfriend about this thread and he said "aww baby you're alredy dating a disabled person"... so I guess my entire post was pointless :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    I'd date someone if I'd already been dating them, but I think I would find it very hard to date someone who already had a disability.

I am fully aware of some of the problems of mental disorders; I have one myself and I understand exactly how my boyfriend must feel, so I think I would find that hard as well. Mood disorders like mine are so hard for the partner; other such disabilities (e.g. learning difficulties, social difficulties) are even harder to deal with in a relationship.
    I assumed that the OP meant someone we were already dating who became disabled. It's why a mental handicap would be such a problem and physical not, it's the issue of changing the way they are on the inside vs the outside.

ReputationRep:
    My brother and sister both have physical disabilities so I'm used to it all. I think I could cope with a partner with a mild disability. Its not the be all or end all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancStudent098)
    I'd like to think I would regardless but in honesty it would depend what the disability was. Physical stuff not a problem, mental handicaps probably would be.
    This in all honesty.

ReputationRep:
    I think if I knew them beforehand, and was close to them, then I'd cope alot easier with them having a disability... like if they were in an accident or something.

I'm not sure how I'd feel getting to know them right off the bat when they're in that condition, my own feelings would probably hold me back. It's a shame, but it's probably what would happen. I just can't imagine myself being the bigger person about such an issue.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it would be any different from a normal relationship, so yes.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I'd be a complete hypocrite if I said no, being hearing impaired myself. :tongue: My boyfriend clearly would though, he doesn't see it as a problem at all.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.