Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you ever go out with a disabled person? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'd have never problem if he was in a wheelchair or something but probably not if they were blind or deaf or mentally disable

ReputationRep:
    James McAvoy in 'Inside I'm Dancing' = pure phwoar.

Depending on the severity, it wouldn't bother me at all. However he'd still have to be fully aware and everything and still live to a certain quality of life.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to think I would but I'm not sure. Physical disability wouldn't be as hard as a severe mental one.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be genuinely honest and say no.
    I wouldn't cope with being in a relationship with a disabled person. I can barely take care of myself so it's too much of a responsibility for me. My life's too busy and I'm too ******* selfish for that.

Perhaps I would be with the individual if he wasn't disabled before I met them and I actually loved him too much to let him go.

(I'm talking about severe physical disabilities.)

ReputationRep:
    I'd give it a try. No guarantees that it would work out well though.

ReputationRep:
    I say as a good person - Oh i'll definitely date a person with a disability- to be honest with you I really wouldn't I feel disgusted with myself.

ReputationRep:
    My ex had cystic fibrosis and i was with him 2 years

ReputationRep:
    No. Seems harsh but I wouldn't cope.

ReputationRep:
    Im glad people have been honest, nice to know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Acula)
    I don't think it would be any different from a normal relationship, so yes.
    Not picking on you- but why wouldn't it be different? Surely there would be things you would be unable to do as opposed to a normal relationship? Do you feel you would emotionally be able to override the physical barriers?

ReputationRep:
    I Guess the answer is , if, maybe, i dunno... which is understandable to be honest

ReputationRep:
    I think some people think they may do but unless put in that situation they may change their mind depending on what the situation was. I think if their partner had an accident after they got with them, they could be being rather shallow.
    Thats only my personal opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be compleately honest and say no. If that makes me a selfish or horrible person then whatever =/

ReputationRep:
    if it was a severe disability then this might sound shallow but probably no.

if it was less severe (like she was deaf in one ear or something) then possibily yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutta!)
    Not picking on you- but why wouldn't it be different? Surely there would be things you would be unable to do as opposed to a normal relationship? Do you feel you would emotionally be able to override the physical barriers?
    Yeah, I know there could be some differences, but yes I do.

ReputationRep:
    Of course I would!!
    Just because they are disabled doesnt mean they arent great, good looking attractive people

ReputationRep:
    I really do think it depends on the person. If you really like them then I don't see it as a problem. Being in a wheelchair myself it would be up to the other person to approach me and get over that barrier and once that's happened there shouldn't be an issue. We are people, whatever disability we have it shouldn't matter. We must remember: Its the person not the motorised vehicle that counts!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    They also will live an entirely different life to an 'able' person, so may be difficult to relate.
    Do we really? I'm partially sighted and have quite a few blind/partially sighted friends. We all live a normal life. We do the majority of things that a sighted person would do.

How many of you have experience with disabilities? It seems as though a lot of you are saying that "they're disabled, so I can't go out with them". Many of us don't require care from other people and live independently.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Titch89)
    Do we really? I'm partially sighted and have quite a few blind/partially sighted friends. We all live a normal life. We do the majority of things that a sighted person would do.

How many of you have experience with disabilities? It seems as though a lot of you are saying that "they're disabled, so I can't go out with them". Many of us don't require care from other people and live independently.
    Take a totally blind person - practically as you say perhaps they would be majority able, but conceptually they would have no idea what you even looked like. Perhaps the things a sighted person would say in everyday life would vary - an observation about a nice park, complimenting someone on their clothing... these would be impossible or worse - insulting and awkward. Do you not agree that some disabilities present a tangible barrier in communication that may get in the way of a relationship?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.