The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
steeler4life
I tip if its good service. I went to New York recently, and most of the places we went gave tipping suggestions on the bill! 12% for good service, 15% for great, and 20% for excellent service! There were 5 of us eating, so about $100-$140. Why should we be expected to pay an extra $20-$30 just for waiters/waitresses doing their jobs?
I know most only get minimum wage and need the tips, but a few pounds/dollars from each customer is enough.

I think they get paid even less in america.

Went to applebees in NY on christmas day, our waiter gave us a free dessert, that deserves a mighty tip!
ShortRef
I think they get paid even less in america.

Went to applebees in NY on christmas day, our waiter gave us a free dessert, that deserves a mighty tip!

Well thats fair enough. If waiters go out of their way to help, then they do deserve a decent tip.
steeler4life
I tip if its good service. I went to New York recently, and most of the places we went gave tipping suggestions on the bill! 12% for good service, 15% for great, and 20% for excellent service! There were 5 of us eating, so about $100-$140. Why should we be expected to pay an extra $20-$30 just for waiters/waitresses doing their jobs?
I know most only get minimum wage and need the tips, but a few pounds/dollars from each customer is enough.

Waiters in America get less than minimum wage. Tips make up the vast majority of what they earn. 20% is standard. You shouldn't really travel if you're not willing to follow the tipping customs of the country you're going to.
la fille danse
Waiters in America get less than minimum wage. Tips make up the vast majority of what they earn. 20% is standard. You shouldn't really travel if you're not willing to follow the tipping customs of the country you're going to.

How do they get less than the minimum wage?? It's illegal :s-smilie:
BramsSTFU

America doesn't follow British law.

For service professions, the total of their wage plus their tips must equal minimum wage.
la fille danse
America doesn't follow British law.

For service professions, the total of their wage plus their tips must equal minimum wage.

Wow, another reason to be glad I'm not American.
BramsSTFU
Wow, another reason to be glad I'm not American.

Why?

You still pay less for food than you do in England. :s-smilie:
Reply 27
:woo: If you don't tip please stay at home.
Reply 28
I rarely eat out, but i'm not going to tip when it comes to paying the bill. I work at mcdonalds, on minimum wage. Think anybody tips me for doing my job ? A thank you is all the compensation i get, and rarely at that. I would probably slap you if you expected a tip.
I'll always tip 10% in restaurants if the service is good. Crap service will result in no tip being left. It astounds me that some waiters/waitreses dont even have basic manners.
Reply 30
BramsSTFU

Jobs where you can receive tips have a lower min wage.
spex
I rarely eat out, but i'm not going to tip when it comes to paying the bill. I work at mcdonalds, on minimum wage. Think anybody tips me for doing my job ? A thank you is all the compensation i get, and rarely at that. I would probably slap you if you expected a tip.

Aw, don't be bitter because the best job you could get was at McDonald's.

Why do some people like to think they're exempt from the social customs of wherever they are? :s-smilie:
stargirl001
I'll always tip 10% in restaurants if the service is good. Crap service will result in no tip being left. It astounds me that some waiters/waitreses dont even have basic manners.

You're supposed to tip whatever coins you can find in the bottom of your pocket. They get the message better that way. :wink:
I pretty much always tip when I go out for a meal. Only ever dont if theres a stupidly big service charge, or the waiter/waitress was a ****.

Mostly because Ive been a waitress myself and based on my experience I know that hardly anyone actually leaves tips (where I live atleast) I was the nicest, most helpful, polite person going when I was waitressing and still nothing. Even to the arrogant, snobby/rude customers.

Its not that I ever expected people to tip, but it pisses me off that waitresses and waiters are paid crap money on the assumption that they will recieve tips- and then we didnt :frown: Crap wage, crap tips. Didnt do that job for long.
Yes, I usually tip unless the service was absolutely dire, and I mean literally comparable to having a lobotomised monkey serve you. Even then I'd probably leave a penny to make a statement. If there's a service charge I'd pay it, but only give a couple of squid for the tip.
Reply 35
What is all this about not going out unless you are going to leave a tip? Unless I feel the service has been excellent I do not tip, if it is average I do not see how a tip can be expected. When I told some of my friends this they were shocked but the waiter/waitress knew the wage before they started the job, service charge also annoys me unless its a group of 5+ people.
la fille danse
You still pay less for food than you do in England. :s-smilie:

That didn't really make sense? I still pay less for food than I do in England? I am in England :confused:
Reply 37
la fille danse

But that's wrong. Why should the customer pay extra money in addition to the bill in order to pay the staff, it ought to be paid by the employer, rather than relying on placing an obligation on the customer to give the employee a living wage.

I realise that one should generally follow the culture of the country, but as something I completely disagree with, I don't see why I ought to comply any more than any other oppressive cultural practices.

To the OP: I would have refused to pay the service charge, it's not compulsary. Also, it's worth finding out the tipping practices of particular companies, as most tips made on card as part of a payment will be subject to tax and the company will take a cut. Furthermore, with cash tips check whether it will all go to the person who is serving you, or into a pot where they might not necessarily see all of it again.
Reply 38
i dont tip, there doing there job, its silly
Reply 39
I normally ask for the service charge to be removed from the bill, then give the waiter/waitress a tip proportional to how good the service was, usually around 10-15%. Obviously this depends what the thing was - a cup of tea wouldn't result in a very big tip, if any at all.

Latest

Trending

Trending