Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Was just curious but is it possible to pursue a (LPC)legal practice course after a law degree if you have been given a caution by the police 3years before pursuing the course?

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    [email protected] your new sig jacket^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawstude)
    [email protected] your new sig jacket^^

ReputationRep:
    but im sure when you register with the solicitors regulation authority you need to write down if any criminal convictions, cautions or warnings? would a caution for theft or something affect your chances? - which was around 3years ago

ReputationRep:
    You might need to get additional references testifying your suitability to be a solicitor and will have an earlier deadline for sending off your application, but you should be fine. Go to the SRA's website for more info

ReputationRep:
    I've actually just sent off my application 2 weeks ago, and got a reply from the lawcabs stating that the institutions i applied for will get back to me in the next 2-3 weeks. when do I need to register with all this solicitors regulation authority stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riz_K)
    I've actually just sent off my application 2 weeks ago, and got a reply from the lawcabs stating that the institutions i applied for will get back to me in the next 2-3 weeks. when do I need to register with all this solicitors regulation authority stuff
    Do it ASAP

ReputationRep:
    i stil havent received offers from the instituions i applied to.Lawcabs stated that they will get back to me in the next 2 weeks. Also, I missed 4 exams because I was ill and will be sitting them end of aug/early sep. What should I do about all this solicitors regulation authority stuff. I will get my full results around 10sep i presume -will this affect me getting on to the lpc

ReputationRep:
    Go to the SRA's web-site and enrol as a student member ASAP. This is something distinct from getting a place on the LPC - the SRA is the regulatory body.

Don't know about the LPC stuff I'm afraid. If in doubt, ring up and ask.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks I will enrol now. But in the LPC form - it just stated if i had any county court judgements or criminal convictions. Nothing mentioned about cautions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riz_K)
    Okay thanks I will enrol now. But in the LPC form - it just stated if i had any county court judgements or criminal convictions. Nothing mentioned about cautions.
    As JP has explained, enrolling with a college for the LPC is different to becoming a student member of the SRA. The former is simply getting a place on an academic course, the latter is a matter of becoming a member of a professional association.

You need to take a good look at this website NOW and the deadlines it refers to:

http://www.sra.org.uk/students/student-enrolment.page

In particular, you should note the text which requires you to declare any criminal convictions including cautions. I don't know whether you're applying through the Central Applications Board but, if you are, then your deadline was 1 April.

In relation to suitability issues etc, this doc will help:

http://www.sra.org.uk/documents/stud...acterguide.pdf

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.