The Student Room Group

Cambridge And Nightlife..is It Existent?

I am applying to Cambridge but worried that i may not enjoy what are meant to be the best 3yrs or so of my life. I am a Londoner and I need a half decent social life to keep me going. What is there on offer for Cambridge students?
I have an offer from Nottingham, warwick and birmingham (insurance), but those retards at Bristol rejected me (i wonder why).
Would someone with my perconality survive the social scene at Cambridge, thats all i need to know.
They stress that its not all work and no play, but on my visit i failed to see ay evidence of that.
Any insight would be appreciated, especially from REAL cambridge students.

p.s. has anyone heard from LSE, do they normally take this long, even to send out a letter of acknowlegement?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It depends how you define things. I'm from Shropshire, which is hardly known for its happening club life, so I may not be best qualified to comment, as my views are probably not what yours would be.

The college bars are mostly good - cheap and sociable, although they vary between colleges. Ents at different colleges are known to be better than others, but you can go to other colleges' ones if you like. Clare cellars has a fairly decent mix of different music each weekend. As for clubs, I haven't been out to them too much, but they are generally a bit cheesy (especially Cindy's on Tuesday nights, but people still flock there). You'll probably think they're crap, but I think they're ok, and not as expensive as London ones.

It honestly isn't all work and no play; you do have to work hard, but people manage to fit in a social life as well, even if it is somewhat different from other places.
Reply 2
Well im not a huge fan of the current binge driking trend. I just like to go out, listen to music and 'pull' girls.
I can handle cheesy songs (but how cheesy are we talking here). I need the occassional r'n'b tune come on, i think any londoner deserves at least that much.
oh yeh are the girls in cambridge difficult, i can imagine very sophisticated ladies being difficult.
it makes me wonder how many virgins there are at oxbridge.
Reply 3
Erm, can't comment on the girls really - there's a huge variety, but there are a lot out to pull. We're not all "really sophisticated" though, honestly! I really wouldn't have a clue how many virgins there are here - is that a bad thing in that you think they're frigid, or a good thing because you have a challenge?

At Cindy's, we are talking uber, uber cheese, like YMCA and stuff, although earlier in the night it's not so bad, but towards the end I have actually thought "what the hell is this?" Other places are not so like that, and are actually ok if you ask me, but I couldn't really compare them with London, as I've never been clubbing there.
Reply 4
well i like a challenge but some nights im just looking for an 'easy one'.
I have heard rumours that there is only one club in cambridge, is this true???????????
Reply 5
NEXTadamSMITH
Well im not a huge fan of the current binge driking trend. I just like to go out, listen to music and 'pull' girls.

...it makes me wonder how many virgins there are at oxbridge.

oh, such high standards of the Londoner - can Cambridge live up to that?

I am a Londoner and Cambridge is what you make of it, much like London. An appropriate example here i think - say if you seek out prostitutes, i am sure you could find your fair share both in London + Cam if you look in the 'right' places.

Clubs - Sindys (Ballare), Coco, Life, Anon, Pure + yer classic in-college 'bops'...
Reply 6
NEXTadamSMITH
well i like a challenge but some nights im just looking for an 'easy one'.
I have heard rumours that there is only one club in cambridge, is this true???????????

No - Bo Selecta has summed it up pretty well.
Reply 7
Oh my God, ive been reading your messages and that cocky nature of yours is not the least bit flattering!!! sort it out m8....
Plus I havent heard from LSE either so hey we have something in common...
Reply 8
In terms of clubs in Cambridge, you mustn't forget Fez.
Reply 9
Hmmm...it's not that great. But we've got our medics Christmas thingy there on Sunday, so I can't complain too much about it. Don't know if I can be arsed to go though.
Helenia
Hmmm...it's not that great. But we've got our medics Christmas thingy there on Sunday, so I can't complain too much about it. Don't know if I can be arsed to go though.

there are a bunch of magdalenites?? going. i would be, but will be in oxford all weekend.
Yes, Cambridge nightlife is non-existant. They have some good bars and pubs, but if you want a decent club, best come down to Newmarket. :wink:
Reply 12
Let me just get this straight!

You apply for cabridge and you are worried about the NIGHTLIFE????

Seriously man, thats a minor difficulty...

Why dont you go get all stressed up about the interviews, just like the rest of us...
Reply 13
dazmanultra
Yes, Cambridge nightlife is non-existant. They have some good bars and pubs, but if you want a decent club, best come down to Newmarket. :wink:

Grantchester is nice...
Jonatan
Let me just get this straight!

You apply for cabridge and you are worried about the NIGHTLIFE????

Seriously man, thats a minor difficulty...

Why dont you go get all stressed up about the interviews, just like the rest of us...

Why should i worry about the interview,i'm doing all i can to prepare. But i want a good university experience, not just work work work. Is there something wrong with wanting a life? we're not ALL total geks you know.
Reply 15
Any university with the number of students Cambridge has is going to have a decent social scene, regardless of whether or not the clubs are as good as they are in London.
Reply 16
I just read your messages and cant believe your attitude. its fine to want to make sure you have a good time at uni. its not all about work. but does that really depend on how many people are virgins?
Snowqueen
I just read your messages and cant believe your attitude. its fine to want to make sure you have a good time at uni. its not all about work. but does that really depend on how many people are virgins?

I think it is nice that there might be a lot of virgins. As long as they are not virgins cos nobody wanted them cos of their uglyness.

I think the reason he is asking about virgins is cos he wants to have lots of sex. He himself may be a virgin and wants to use his university 'experience' as a chance not only to build the foundations of his career, but to learn a thing or two about sex. Don't most kids explore their sexual feelings around 18 years old?

I think he may feel that cos girls (and boys) work so hard at cambridge, they are the typical boffins that would be present at school. Those ones that wouldnt even talk to boys. And on the basis of this, he may not be able to fulfil his desire to have sex like a rabbit at uni.

So his good time at uni could depend on how many virgins there are.
Reply 18
Mentally Ill
So his good time at uni could depend on how many virgins there are.

There's always the students from APU, CRC etc if he's really concerned at frigidity of Cambridge students. Personally I regard such concerns as frivolous.

Has the junction got a different name that I don't know about or was it forgotten off the list earlier on?

Alaric.
Reply 19
Having lived in the city for all my life, I decided I wanted to goto the smallest, most backwards town possible. Hence, Cambridge!

Latest

Trending

Trending