Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

is it true that guys fall for people like their mums? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ive heard this in many books and alot of people say it...
    Is it true for girls aswell - that they fall for people like their dads? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatP!E)
    Is it true for girls aswell - that they fall for people like their dads? :confused:
    They're bloody weird if they do.

ReputationRep:
    Well one of my brothers girlfriends is very upfront... like our mum. My other brothers girlfriend is way too quiet and unsociable so nothing like our mum!

I was quite a lot like m ex's mum, but nothing like my current boyfriends mum.

Hmm, I think only a certain type(s) of guys go for people like their mum.

ReputationRep:
    Not in my case... I'm nothing like my boyfriend's mum.

ReputationRep:
    wtf, no way jose.

ReputationRep:
    How about going for people like their friends mum? :L

ReputationRep:
    God. I hope not.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean physically or personality? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Freud would lead us to believe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oedipus_complex

ReputationRep:
    Apparently you can judge a man by how he treats his mother ...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's evolutionary. Individuals want to reproduce, but they also want their offspring to be able to reproduce. The individual's parents have obviously already reproduced successfully, so they must have some successful qualities. This means that an individual choosing a partner with similar characteristics to their parents is likely to produce offspring which have these characteristics, and are likely to reproduce.

Obviously in modern society, where pretty much anyone can find a partner and have children, this is redundant, but it still explains the attraction.

ReputationRep:
    i soo hope i'm not like my boyfriend's mum.
    she's a female dog.

ReputationRep:
    I go for people like your Mum actually, specifically your Mum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatP!E)
    it's a psychological theory developed by Freud pertaining the the human subconscious
    look up the Oedipus Complex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chipskylark)
    i soo hope i'm not like my boyfriend's mum.
    she's a female dog.
    elaborate on this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Do you mean physically or personality? :eek:
    Imagine if it was physically :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    There will always be similar traits, no? Confirmation bias then... so yes and no?

ReputationRep:
    You know what, a lot of who you are as a person comes from your parents and I'm not just talking genetics.

Studies have shown that fat parents tend to have fat kids and that the kids of young parents tend to have their own kids at a young age too.

You guys may like to deny it, but subconsciously, you probably do tend to choose mates that are similar to your parents - the mother is after all the most important female in any male's life and so it would make sense for them to choose a partner who can rear offspring as well as your own mother has.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khalaf)
    Imagine if it was physically :eek3:
    I know lol :yikes:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe people choose partners with a similar personality and values as themselves, which also happen to be similar to their parents because of shared genetics and upbringing? Or maybe someone's been reading too much Freud.

(Original post by mahaneap)
    Yes, it's evolutionary. Individuals want to reproduce, but they also want their offspring to be able to reproduce. The individual's parents have obviously already reproduced successfully, so they must have some successful qualities. This means that an individual choosing a partner with similar characteristics to their parents is likely to produce offspring which have these characteristics, and are likely to reproduce.

Obviously in modern society, where pretty much anyone can find a partner and have children, this is redundant, but it still explains the attraction.
    Do you have any evidence or a source for this?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.