Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

is it true that guys fall for people like their mums? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahaneap)
    I believe I read it in The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins.
    Do you know which chapter?

ReputationRep:
    Is it true that guys fall for people like their mums?

I'm sure they might do eventually - you know, if it was only their mum and them and they had no other contact whatsoever with any other people at all for say 10 years...

What do you think?

squishysquish.

ReputationRep:
    I find that alot of guys go for girls with some similarities in personality with their mum (if they get on well with her) or the opposite (if they don't) it's a comfort thing. My gf is like my mum in a few ways - not too many to be creepy but not to few for the comfort factor not to be there.

I hope you understand what I mean!

ReputationRep:
    what if they're adopted by 2 guys?

ReputationRep:
    I think that subconsciously some boys want to marry girls like their mums because they've seen their own mum successfully raise a family. But I don't think it's something they do consciously, they just seem to be attracted to girls with a few similar personality traits as their mothers.

I think it may be a bit the same with girls, but I'm not really sure. I've heard it about boys before a few times, but never really about girls. Although with girls, you do hear a lot that girls who had absentee/bad fathers often find it hard to form good relationships with the men in their life, so maybe girls with good fathers are subconsciously attracted to men like their dads?

I don't know, I'm tired and confused by my own writing now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seba_Nile)
    I find that alot of guys go for girls with some similarities in personality with their mum (if they get on well with her) or the opposite (if they don't) it's a comfort thing. My gf is like my mum in a few ways - not too many to be creepy but not to few for the comfort factor not to be there.

I hope you understand what I mean!
    yes i do! thank you

ReputationRep:
    No idea, but I'm dating my mum. ******* hope my dad doesn't find out.

ReputationRep:
    Celebs who BF's/husbands who look like their dad's.

I saw it in heat magazine before and there was loads more and some of them was spitting images. Quite shocking really.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ke-father.html

ReputationRep:
    It's completely personality-based: I have amazing parents and want any child I have to feel the same way about his/her dad and I. They're very witty for a start, and that's a must in my book, so I guess there is some truth in that theory.

Sounds creepy though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugh-Jackman)
    Celebs who BF's/husbands who look like their dad's.

I saw it in heat magazine before and there was loads more and some of them was spitting images. Quite shocking really.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar... e-father.html

Some of those are uncanny :eek: . My husband is nothing like my dad, they are complete opposites of each other. I do share one or two similarities with my mother in law though. We are both short and love to chat!.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatP!E)
    Ive heard this in many books and alot of people say it...
    Is it true for girls aswell - that they fall for people like their dads? :confused:
    Think about it - a young boy growing up will see his mother as a role model for what women should be like. Same for his father.

It seems fitting that one someone hits adulthood, his idea of a women would have stemmed from what his mother was like. It's not a case of fancying your mother..

I wish it wasn't true; my mother was / is a ******* nut case.

ReputationRep:
    some might, maybe as a comfort thing, but i dont think its a general rule for every1.
    My boyfriends really similar to my stepdad.
    But im really different from his mum.

ReputationRep:
    guys - girls

its probably best not to think on it too deeply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsystoleUK)
    No idea, but I'm dating my mum. ******* hope my dad doesn't find out.
    You being serious? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I don't tend to go for people who nag me incessantly it has to be said

ReputationRep:
    You being serious? :eek:
    .. Are you being serious? :|

ReputationRep:
    haha absolutely no ******* way would i want to spend another lifetime with anyone who even closely resembles my mum the SLIGHTEST BIT......... oh god the torture even thinking about it... :s

Ive heard this in many books and alot of people say it...
    Is it true for girls aswell - that they fall for people like their dads? http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...s/confused.gif
    I bloody well hope not. As much as I love my mum, I don't want to end up married to someone like her.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's made up - to pad out psychology syllabuses.

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed that his mom and I both have that sort of sarcastic humor. :confused:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.