Turn on thread page Beta

What would (or should) Cameron do differently as PM? watch

(Original post by Moe Lester)
    In what sense...as in the lib. party perhaps I will.
    Being a paying member of LPUK, going to some of their regional meets, campaigning for them - maybe even run as a local councillor just to increase their exposure. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    Being a paying member of LPUK, going to some of their regional meets, campaigning for them - maybe even run as a local councillor just to increase their exposure. :cool:
    We shall see, I don't know that much about them at present - I shall go read their manifesto. Are you planning on doing any or all of the above?

We shall see, I don't know that much about them at present - I shall go read their manifesto. Are you planning on doing any or all of the above?
    Yeah, all of the above ultimately - but I wont run as a local councillor for at least a couple of years yet. When I do it wont be to win, just for an excuse to push some leaflets around.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, all of the above ultimately - but I wont run as a local councillor for at least a couple of years yet. When I do it wont be to win, just for an excuse to push some leaflets around.
    Good stuff - spread the message. Do the party have any elected officials?

Good stuff - spread the message. Do the party have any elected officials?
    God, no! They only formed in 2008 and only one person had even RUN as a local councillor thus far, and he won 7% of the vote.

But the first chance to vote for an LPUK MP is occuring later this month in the Norwich-north by election, hopefully we'll do well there. The number of LPUK candidates is set to boom - can only go up from here really - they just need more funding because its not free to run for elections.

Winning anything is a long way off, if you want to win things, stick to the tories.

ReputationRep:
    God, no! They only formed in 2008 and only one person had even RUN as a local councillor thus far, and he won 7% of the vote.

But the first chance to vote for an LPUK MP is occuring later this month in the Norwich-north by election, hopefully we'll do well there. The number of LPUK candidates is set to boom - can only go up from here really - they just need more funding because its not free to run for elections.

Winning anything is a long way off, if you want to win things, stick to the tories.
    I see, so it's more of a pressure group at the moment. So you hold out no hope for libertarianism from inside the Tories? Alan Duncan springs to mind.

I see, so it's more of a pressure group at the moment. So you hold out no hope for libertarianism from inside the Tories? Alan Duncan springs to mind.
    Indeed he does, Daniel Hannan is better still. I understand why they do it - but no, Cameron said he is not a libertarian, and I feel the tories are trying to grab labour voters and are too scared to even suggest cutting public spending.

I definitely feel better being a member of LPUK and campaigning for them, and I do believe that with some decent exposure they could really force in some liberal policies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nouvelle_vague)
    Cameron has a slimy face more like. Everytime I see him I want to punch him for being so... so... so CAMERON. :mad:
    Why? Is this because your dad told you never to vote for the tories. Or that thatcher was the worst prime minister ever? Think for yourself about why you don't want to vote for a clearly more able prime minister than gordon brown

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    Why? Is this because your dad told you never to vote for the tories. Or that thatcher was the worst prime minister ever? Think for yourself about why you don't want to vote for a clearly more able prime minister than gordon brown
    To be fair he does have a slimy face.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed he does, Daniel Hannan is better still. I understand why they do it - but no, Cameron said he is not a libertarian, and I feel the tories are trying to grab labour voters and are too scared to even suggest cutting public spending.

I definitely feel better being a member of LPUK and campaigning for them, and I do believe that with some decent exposure they could really force in some liberal policies.
    I agree Hannan is a brilliant MEP. Anyway I'm logging out now so been nice talking to you and all the best with LPUK.

ReputationRep:
    Would should Cameron do as PM? Resign.

ReputationRep:
    I think he should change his name to Dave by deedpoll, that way he'd be more on our level and we will be able to relate to him. All of this "Just call me Dave" **** is ********, he needs to change his name to have impact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    Brown is a good economist and has served the country well during the recession. Cameron has a shiny face.
    What a joke. We have debt expected to rise to 80% of GDP, which you and me will be expeced to pay off. A man who spent every penny in the boom years and some more in attempt to show that they are increasing public spending when in actual fact they are wasting money and a 'leader' that doesn't listen to anyone else's proposals and lies to the country on the figures set out in the chancellor's own budget on public spending.

I agree Hannan is a brilliant MEP. Anyway I'm logging out now so been nice talking to you and all the best with LPUK.
    Thanks, I hope you join us! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    He will, have more cabinet ministers who have been educated at Eton than any PM since Macmillan. :hmmm:
    Why does that matter? As long as they can do the job no one cares.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how a group of Eton boys can really appreciate the wants and needs of the nation as a whole. They'll have come from a ridiculous bubble of privilege and elitism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unarmed)
    want so bad about economic growth through debt and consumption??

As long as there growth that's good!
    Economic growth has to be sustainable. Or at the least built on a sustainable foundation. This is macroeconomics 101.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    I don't see how a group of Eton boys can really appreciate the wants and needs of the nation as a whole. They'll have come from a ridiculous bubble of privilege and elitism.
    I don't see how a group of working class boys can really appreciate the wants and needs of the nation as a whole. They'll have come from a ridiculous bubble of insularity and reverse-snobbery. :p:

You can make crass generalisations about any group you like. I like to judge people by their thoughts and their actions, not by who their parents are and what school they went to.

ReputationRep:
    It raises questions regarding social elitism and whether these shadow ministers got their positions by exploiting the 'old-boy' network, rather than by ability alone. One would hope there would be greater social diversity within a cabinet, and that it could better reflect modern Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    They have two, possibly 3 or 4 in the cabinet from Eton. IIRC, its Cameron, Osborne and Letwin. No-one else. Besides, why judge someone on what school they went to. They probably have more knowledge than what is contained inside your lobotomized, Tory-hating brain anyway.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.