Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What would (or should) Cameron do differently as PM? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    And yes, TSR tories are very very libertarian, its excellent. Though I never really understand why they don't just join the libertarian party, especially on TSR where you might as well be ideological rather than pragmatic about politics. More fake MP's available for the tories, I suppose ...
    I know we are much more libertarian than our RL counterparts although we are a strongly Thatcherite party with only a couple of One Nation Tories.

We believe in legalisation of drugs, we dont want to see a drinking age or the restrictions on business associated with that. We want to see an end to as many restrictions placed on business as possible, for example we supported out Libertarian friends in the desire to get rid of the minimum wage.

The only thing we differ on is welfare provisions, we want to see a minimum level of welfare spending however the Libertarians want to see no welfare spending .

(Original post by davireland)
    The only thing we differ on is welfare provisions, we want to see a minimum level of welfare spending however the Libertarians want to see no welfare spending .
    I still want welfare, I just want it cut dramatically. Make it a safety net rather than a hammock is the LPUK soundbite on it. :p:

Are you a real life tory, or a real life libertarian?

ReputationRep:
    I still want welfare, I just want it cut dramatically. Make it a safety net rather than a hammock is the LPUK soundbite on it. :p:

Are you a real life tory, or a real life libertarian?
    I think your view on welfare is probably closer to my view than alot of Libertarians on this site, if you chat to either Collingwood or Cyclops Rocks for example then they believe in no welfare provision. I too believe in the safety net idea btw.

And Im a RL member of the Tory party.

And Im a RL member of the Tory party.
    Do you ever fear that they don't really represent your liberal views?

ReputationRep:
    Do you ever fear that they don't really represent your liberal views?
    Sometimes but then I know there are liberally minded people in the Conservative party. There are people that look back fondly on the Thatcher years. Personally I believe that my views are an extension of Thatcherism, we had the economic liberalism in the 80's but instead of getting the social liberalism which should have accompanied it, we went in the other direction after 1997.

I would never ever vote Liberal Democrat because Social Democracy doesnt go with my Liberal beliefs either, I feel confortable in a modern Conservative party, it is the mainstream party which best reflects my views.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    What would, or should, Cameron do differently (compared to Labour) as the PM?

I'm hoping he would have the balls to reform the constitution, structually change the economy, and re-negotiate our position in the EU.
    first of all, thats assuming he gets to pm (which he probably will do, but its still an assumption for now)
    and secondly, how do you mean "re-negotiate our position in the EU"?

Sometimes but then I know there are liberally minded people in the Conservative party. There are people that look back fondly on the Thatcher years. Personally I believe that my views are an extension of Thatcherism, we had the economic liberalism in the 80's but instead of getting the social liberalism which should have accompanied it, we went in the other direction after 1997.

I would never ever vote Liberal Democrat because Social Democracy doesnt go with my Liberal beliefs either, I feel confortable in a modern Conservative party, it is the mainstream party which best reflects my views.
    But there are also tonnes of conservatives who are not socially liberal at all - who have quite "traditional" values regarding drugs, sexuality etc and not only this but in trying to be so mainstream they're often far too in favour of nationalisation and red tape, and also the european union. Yeah you might be mainstream but that comes at a price - the tories always compromise their integrity and support things they probably don't want to - kudos for David Davies for actually having some real principles. (Kudos to Thatcher too, if she was still around I might actually be a tory.)

I just think that although there are alan duncans and daniel hannans around, libertarian ideals would be sidelined in the conservative party (just like they apparently are within the lib dem party too) - an LPUK pressure group is much more satisfying to be a part of. But its upto you obviously, good luck with turning the conservative party into libertarians! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moony12345)
    first of all, thats assuming he gets to pm (which he probably will do, but its still an assumption for now)
    and secondly, how do you mean "re-negotiate our position in the EU"?
    I personally believe EU membership is too bad a deal for the UK, and yes we should literally re-negotiate our position in it.

We should sit down with the Commission and state which agreements/treaties we want to be part of, or repeal.

I just reckon that the EU is just an extra layer of government, that imposes itself on the individual. I think government should be as small as possible, and not intrude on people's lives.

I just reckon that the EU is just an extra layer of government, that imposes itself on the individual. I think government should be as small as possible, and not intrude on people's lives.
    Good man, why does a fine fellow like you have all that red then? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Stop authoritarian government.

This involves three things. 1) Giving more say to parliament; 2) More transparency from the executive; 3) Take the think-tanks seriously

Many of the problems in Brown's government are associated with being too dictatorial. MPs have relatively little say, and think-tanks are ignored. This is how you end up with stupid policies, and this is how we get inefficiency. Unfortunately, Cameron looks like he will be even worse - he has surrounded himself with people he personally likes, takes a small minor think-tank more seriously than the major ones because it agrees with him all the time, and has put forward arrogant ideas in the heat of the moment without substance and without further thought - he is a opportunist. But I will support him if he changes all that.

ReputationRep:
    I personally believe EU membership is too bad a deal for the UK, and yes we should literally re-negotiate our position in it.

We should sit down with the Commission and state which agreements/treaties we want to be part of, or repeal.

i disagree, i think the EU is a good thing, and in a time of recession we need all the help we can get in terms of trade etc.

ReputationRep:
    Trade makes sense if there is a willingness and ability of others to buy. This is how all transactions in the market economy work. The EU countries are also in recession; all advanced economies are. So since demand in the other 26 EU countries is low, trade would mean little.

In normal times, as long as our goods were competively priced, of good quality, and reliable, continental European countries would be willing to buy them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    He will, have more cabinet ministers who have been educated at Eton than any PM since Macmillan. :hmmm:
    so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Square)
    so?
    See post 39.

ReputationRep:
    what will cameron do? generally be a rightwing tory **** as is his want. What should he do?

-massivley tighten up corporate tax evasion, recent investigation showed billions of pounds of taxable money being chanelled out of birtain illegally.

-reinstate the 10p tax rate

-Nationalise the railways, & allow them to be run with a reasonable budget, as a pay per use public service, with Andrew Adonis in charge

-scrap Trident

-scrap the new NHS computer

-write a British constitution, instituting 4 year terms & elections, an elected second house and the abolition of the monarchy to be replaced with an elected President.

-withdraw from Afghanistan, and in future ensure the armed forces are properly equipped for any conflicts they may face

-disestablish the church of england & abolish religious-run education in Britain

-set a minimum proportion (30%) of places at all private schools to be given to local students unable to afford the average private school fee, or school loses charitable status

-set the proportion of university places to be allocated to pivate school pupils to the same proportion that private school places make up the total school places.

-introduce a new levy on dangerous 4x4s, with exemptions for farmers & rural dwellers who can prove they need such a vehicle.

-introduce road pricing

-massivley tax tickets on internal flights, with exceptions to certain routes e.g. London-Inverness, Wick-Edinburgh, Jersey-London

-increase the regulation on the financial system to prevent a repeat of this recession, specifically by separating retail banking from investment banking

-set up a group within the EU to examine it's nature, to begin reforming into a fully democratic federal nation. Begin by ensuring the safety of EU borders, then enter the Schengen agreement.

-begin to decentralise the UK from london, and make the necessary investment right across the country to grow elsewhere than london

-abolish civil partnerships & allow both same sex and opposite sex couples access to marriage

well, a guy can dream :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    Why? Is this because your dad told you never to vote for the tories. Or that thatcher was the worst prime minister ever? Think for yourself about why you don't want to vote for a clearly more able prime minister than gordon brown
    Hahaha! How on earth does me commenting on the sliminess of Cameron's face have anything to do with my (or my dad's) political stance? If you must know, neither of us are Labour supporters anyway so you can get down off your high horse sonny jim.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.