Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys...you can tell i'm a hypochondriac because this is my 2nd post on health in a week...sorry lol :o:

Basically, I have a massive crater of an uncler on my bottom lip, has been there for about a week. I have had the horrible thoughts of mouth cancer as any hypochondriac would, but i'm trying to get over that! I bought some Oraldene (sp?) ice mint mouthwash, and everything was fine after a i took it, just a bad taste. But i went to sleep for half an hour and when i woke up it felt like i had burnt my toungue and the roof of my mouth, and my taste is messed up, and my mouths and cheeks feel slightly numb. Obviously my first thoughts were omg its definitely mouth cancer, but then on the internet it says its a rare side effect of the mouth wash.

...So has this happened to any of you? And do i need to contact a doctor? What happens if this gets worse?

Thanks for ur help!

ReputationRep:
    The first time i used mouthwash my mouth felt wierd for a couple of hours. Nowadays when i use it, just 10 mins of a dodgy taste and flem.
    Just carry on, for around a week, and if the problems still there, buy a noose and finish the job..

ReputationRep:
    Some mouthwashes can make your mouth feel as if it's been burnt...I think if they contain chlorhexidine...I would say don't use the mouthwash again in future, and go for one that doesn't contain alcohol. Rinse your mouth with cooled boiled salt water to try to help heal it, and get some Bonjela.

ReputationRep:
    Mmm some of them really can mess with your tongue and tasting things - I used corsydol(sp?) for a while and it completly stopped me from being able to taste salt in anything! Was the weirdest sensation! Anyway, my advice to you to stop it messing with your taste is to brush your tongue afterwards. Not necessarily rinse your mouth out, but brushing your tongue really helps. Or just stick salt on the ulcer, or get one of those "one treatment" ulcer things like bonjela once..

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for your replies
    Thankfully it has worn off now...dont think il use it for a little while again!
    Now im just stressing because this ulcer is showing no signs of going...hopefully not mouth cancer!!

ReputationRep:
    stop using it alltogether, alternatively use soft mint mouth wash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fearny1989)
    Hey guys...you can tell i'm a hypochondriac because this is my 2nd post on health in a week...sorry lol :o:

Basically, I have a massive crater of an uncler on my bottom lip, has been there for about a week. I have had the horrible thoughts of mouth cancer as any hypochondriac would, but i'm trying to get over that! I bought some Oraldene (sp?) ice mint mouthwash, and everything was fine after a i took it, just a bad taste. But i went to sleep for half an hour and when i woke up it felt like i had burnt my toungue and the roof of my mouth, and my taste is messed up, and my mouths and cheeks feel slightly numb. Obviously my first thoughts were omg its definitely mouth cancer, but then on the internet it says its a rare side effect of the mouth wash.

...So has this happened to any of you? And do i need to contact a doctor? What happens if this gets worse?

Thanks for ur help!
    Oraldene nobbles your tastebuds for about 24hrs. It does anhilate soar throats and ulcers fairly well but I tend to be sparing because I know I won't taste anything for a while. So anyway, don't panic, you haven't got cancer.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.